Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I wonder how fast they were going to get that kind of air.

First hint that the Ridgeline may turn out as a sales dud.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
That was a very even keeled review. It was not overly negative nor was it gushingly positive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the review was spot on. It had the same concerns I have had -

Torque steer
V6 adequate but a tad more power would be nice
Price
Could be a giveaway next year on Honda lots

HOWEVER, I like the styling, I like the Honda name, I like the fact that Honda has met with owners, appears to be trying to make this an even greater little truck.

I feel VERY comfortable buying this vehicle at $500 over factory invoice for an RTL w/moonroof. I wouldn't have paid MSRP personally

I have to drive it back 450 miles from the dealer to my house so will let you know if I still feel the same way when I get back. BET I WILL.

AND WHAT THE HELL IS THIS COMPARING THIS TRUCK TO A BAJA :mad:

MAYBE IN THE SAME BALL PARK (AT LEAST SAME TOWN :p) AS AN AVALANCHE OR FORD BUT A BAJA :eek: YA RIGHT

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh ya, and the gas mileage

15,000 miles/year @ $ 2.50/gallon @ 16 (that's what I'll get) = $ 2,350 gas

15,000 miles/year @ $ 2.50/gallon @ 20 (I don't believe it) = $ 1,875.00

SO.....

$ 475 over a year is $ 40 a month extra I will have to pay to have my toy :p

I'll know in a year if it was worth it. But is Toyota or Nissan any better? (my only other option)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to laugh a little about the spare tire part in the review (flat tire, trunk has object over it, having to unload object to get spare out of trunk).

Honda did address that issue, though not the greatest idea mind you, but they did put a small hole in the passenger side of the bed where you can externally mount the tire for long distance hauling of materials in the bed... I had wondered about it too, until I picked up the good ole manual and saw it in there.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
You read the owner's manual? What's the matter with you???? ;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
For all those NON-Ridgeline owners that whine about the spare tire location as being a big problem, consider where the spare is located on comparable vehicles. Ususlly it is under the vehicle, between the rear axle and the rear bumber, covered with years worth of road debris, and the lowering mechanism is likely to be rusted and inoperable. If you are that concerned about the very, very, very rare times when you might actually need the spare, put it beside you in a seatbelt. If you are going cross country with a bed full of stuff that would really be difficult to unload, plan ahead, (a foreign concept for too many people) and carry the spare elsewhere like TXridge said. If you choose not to relocate it under those conditions and you get a flat, suffer, but dont complain! Sheesh!

I thought that the report was reasonable. I want to see the real long term test reports on the Ridgeline and comparable vehicles. I think that current owners can anticipate what those results will look like. Honda has raised the bar FOR THE MARKET SEGMENT THAT THE RIDGELINE TARGETS.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Motor Trend, has been, and I suspect, always will be, focused on American automobiles.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ok review for the Ridge.
Poor overall performance by motor Trend. Compare it to a Chevy and Subaru. Toy ans Nis would had made more sense. Of course reading the article the pop ups were for chevy trucks. I can tell where Motor Trend gets their ad money. They're a joke. Now I know why I don't buy it.

Did anyone see consumer reports new article/comparison???

·
Registered
68 Posts
This review does not compare with any of the other reviews i have read.
It takes a glass half empty attitude with its points on trunk loading and cargo managment. I do agree about the engine and would of prefered a V 8 other than that I think this review is in the minority compared with what has been said by the other experts. Honda should have put a better bed cover on the truck somthing like to Retrax for water proof storage but to assume that the cool rear seat storage is a burden because someone may need to sit there is a stretch.

It makes me wonder about the motives of a review's when I read somthing like this that is puts a negative spin on the positives that other reviews have been raving over.. I have heard in the past that Mags like Outside and Consumer Reports base opions on moneys from ads and endorcements.

I think I will leave Motor Trend on the shelf since I do not trust their reporting any longer.

Baja

·
Registered
21 Posts
Baja said:
I have heard in the past that Mags like Outside and Consumer Reports base opions on moneys from ads and endorcements.
I hope you meant to say Motor Trend rather than Cons Reports. CR doesn't do ads or endorsements, that is their whole point for existence!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do some research, they are known for biased reports.

·
Registered
561 Posts
In your earlier post, you stated, "I have heard in the past that Mags like Outside and Consumer Reports base opions on moneys from ads and endorcements." In your subsequent post, regarding Consumer Reports, you stated, "Do some research, they are known for biased reports."

Consumer Reports does not accept advertising and takes aggressive legal action against any business that uses Consumer Reports ratings in its advertising. In other words, if a company that is favorably rated by CR uses that rating in advertising, CR goes after them and stops them. Hence, you do not see mainstream advertising referencing positive CR reviews and you see no advertising whatsoever in CR or on the CR website. Conversely, just about every other "rating" entity allows itself to appear in advertising (e.g. J.D. Power). Consumer Reports' entire raison d'etre is to be the consumer's advocate and to avoid even the slightest implication that they slant their reviews in accordance with commercial support.

Some do believe that CR is biased. Subaru sued them for years regarding a negative rating on the rollover potential of the Sidekick. Sharper Image has it in for them regarding their review of the Ionizer.

Some suggest that CR reports are poorly designed. There is no meaningful evidence, to my knowledge, that CR is in any way biased.

If you have such evidence, kindly state it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
can't compare it to the avalanche my buddy owns one and it has 38,000 miles on it and its falling apart typical gm the bulk head leak with a heavy rain or a car wash visit it makes all kinda rattling noises going over bumps and the interior is kinda chinsey compared to the Ridgeline. I love the Truck i use to have a 1999 Ford f 250 7.4 powerstroke before this and although its not in the same class as the ford but for what i need it for it better suits my needs

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could be wrong, I cannot now recall where I got the Impression but it must have been from the litigation you mentioned.

I stand corrected.

Thanks

Baja.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I won't go as far as to say that CR is biased. However, I will say that people are led to believe that CR reliability data is scientifically determined, when it is not. Their reliability surveys are driven by empirical data (subscriber surveys).

CR is known as the ultimate testing house. They take things apart in their labs and investigate how they are made, in a scientific fashion. So people think that all the data they produce is based on discovery, when it is not. CR has not gone out of their way to point this out. Their subscribers don't care.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts