Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have Honda's motorcycle bed extender installed on a 2nd Gen Ridgeline. What are the pro's and con's and do you have any pictures.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow! No responses in 10 months. Guess the motorcycle bed extender is not very popular.

I was looking for information on it myself and stumbled on this thread. I have a full size adventure touring bike that I put in my Ridgeline bed. If I use a wheel chock up front to hold it in place the rear tire sits on the very edge of the tailgate. If I don't use a wheel chock, it's much harder to load and tie down by myself, but it gives me another 5" or so of room up front.

I've hauled motorcycles in truck beds for years and never used any sort of tailgate extender. I use good quality straps, a good wheel chock (I recommend Baxley), and I've never had an issue.

Here's a pic of my bike loaded in the bed with the wheel chock. It is NOT tied down here (this is just for demo purposes...be sure to tie down before driving!). The only thing holding it is the wheel chock. Here's the one I use:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the bed extender is clunky in general.
As mentioned above, a baxley chock, and straps should be good.

My personal setup is a baxley chock, canyon dancers bar straps for the front, acebikes tyrefix for the rear, strapped down with ratchet straps. It’s pretty solid.

Consider a motogate instead of the bed extender. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question I have is why is your bike going on an adventure in the bed of your truck!? Do you think your bike is pleased ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The bed extender was never meant to hold the motorcycle, people seem to miss the point of the extender. It's more so you can toss other things into the bed with the tailgate down and not have to worry about strapping them in (ramp) for them to not slide out. That's exactly why I bought one

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
IIRC, Honda offers two bed extenders. One for standard items and one designed for carrying motorcycles in the bed (although not to contain the motorcycle!).

I would never trust bed extenders to keep any items from blowing out, only from sliding out the back.

Everything in the bed should always be secured, as light items can still blow out of the bed, and heavy items can slide around and create damage, as well as become flying projectiles in a crash.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Question I have is why is your bike going on an adventure in the bed of your truck!? Do you think your bike is pleased ;)
Ah yes...I see your point. And trust me, I used to ride 12k to 15k miles a year. I felt guilty if I didn't ride everywhere, like I wasn't a "real rider". Then I decided that I hate interstate riding. It flat spots my rear tire and it's just boring as hell...and noisy. Some of the best riding roads in the country are 4 hours by interstate from my house. Yeah, I can take the back roads, but that means 6 to 8 hours riding there, and 6 to 8 hours to get home....no time to ride once you're there unless you spend the night...and that's an awfully long day. Wife doesn't get to happy about me being gone either.

With the truck, I can roll out at 6am, be out riding on roads such as Deal's Gap and Cherohala Skyway by 10am. Ride until 5pm. Be home by 9pm. Still a long day, but 8 hours of it is in air conditioned comfort where I can eat meals and relax as I drive.

The adventure touring bike is really ridden more like a sport bike. I'm 6'5" tall with shot knees and back from sports. That bike is comfortable for me, yet still light enough to flick around the back roads. It's about 500lbs, which isn't too bad. I'd rather it weigh 100lbs less...but then it gets smaller and more cramped and it is painful for me to ride for more than 20 minutes. I'm getting too damn old. But I remember the good old days when I could do this:

·
Registered
972 Posts
It pretty well goes without saying that anyone loading a bike in the bed and then adding gear is also going to secure that gear so it wont slide around and bang into the bike. And even when there is no bike they'll be in the habit of making sure the load is secure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It pretty well goes without saying that anyone loading a bike in the bed and then adding gear is also going to secure that gear so it wont slide around and bang into the bike. And even when there is no bike they'll be in the habit of making sure the load is secure.
The gear goes in the back seat. Fold the seats up, slide in the ramp and gear....hit the road.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The gear goes in the back seat. Fold the seats up, slide in the ramp and gear....hit the road.
Fuel too? If I had a panel van I could see drums of race fuel at the back door but not in a Ridgeline.

With my sport bikes there's a bunch of stuff that I don't want in the cabin. Never mind if you'd been out in the rain and dirt for an offroad day.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
My comments were for how many people tend to load trucks in general, not specific to those hauling motorcycles (BTDT).

Stroll through a parking a lot and see how many pickups have loose items laying in the bed. It seems to get worse as you get more rural.

Soda cans and beer cans are the worst. I've had plenty of those fly out of the pickup truck in front of me, headed for my windshield, over the years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the Honda bed extender but seldom use it, and never when I haul a motorcycle because it would be in the way so have to be removed every time a bike is loaded or unloaded. Plus as mentioned it obviously doesn't actually help hold a motorcycle at all. I just leave the tailgate down and use a Condor front wheel chock and strap the bike at all four corners.
I find the extender useful when hauling loose or bulky items like firewood with the gate down, also with the extender in the rear but flipped forward, tailgate up, it makes a good place to carry gas/diesel cans.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fuel too? If I had a panel van I could see drums of race fuel at the back door but not in a Ridgeline.

With my sport bikes there's a bunch of stuff that I don't want in the cabin. Never mind if you'd been out in the rain and dirt for an offroad day.
I've never owned a dirt bike, so I can't speak to woods riding, but when I did track days I bought fuel when I got there. Many tracks had fuel on site and those that didn't were a simple run to the gas station. But I did sometimes end up with fuel left over and I always just strapped it in the back with bungee cords. Wasn't too worried about some stealing the gas can with a couple gallons of gas in it.

Everything else I typically put in my truck. I used big Rubbermaid storage bins, the kind that are made to slide under your bed. They are stackable and I labeled them and stacked them in the cab. I had one for tools, fluids (oil, brake fluid, chain lube, etc), food, pit setup (radio, tire warmers, small electric heater if it was spring or fall, etc). I used a big Trackside bag for all my riding gear and a helmet bag for my helmet. And of course, an EZ-Up tent. Typically the only thing in the bed was the bike and a gas can. Oh...and coolers...I put them in the back too. Just ran a strap through the handle to keep them from sliding out.

Here's a pic I found of me heading for the track. Imagine the trailer is a truck bed. Cooler, gas can, and bike...that's all that went on the trailer. Everything else is inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well whatever folks like doing best.

For me I always figure if I have a truck with a box I might as well put stuff in the back.

First truck was a 79 S10 so no much room in the cab for anything but people on a race day.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
154 Posts
I have the motorcycle extender. Long move coming up next Wednesday from Seattle to Fresno for my new medical position. I got the extender so I can put extra stuff if the bed alongside my FZ-07 to free up room in the U-Haul trailer. Can also strap stuff straight to the extender too.

It's super light weight and easy to take on and off. I store it in the garage when not being used.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I have the motorcycle extender. I got the extender so I can put extra stuff if the bed alongside my FZ-07 to free up room in the U-Haul trailer. Can also strap stuff straight to the extender too.
How's the turning clearance to the U-Haul trailer while towing with the tailgate down?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts