Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
154 Posts
How's the turning clearance to the U-Haul trailer while towing with the tailgate down?
Haven't gotten it yet. Will find out on Tuesday when I do some testing. I've seen others able to get the fz07 in with the tailgate closed going diagonally with the tires aired down... So that's my backup plan if needed.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
154 Posts
@Farther

Got the trailer today. Tested it at the sharpest forward turn and at a reverse Jack knife... Tons of clearance with the tailgate down. The tongue length on the 6x12 is really long.

Trailer is loaded to the max, nothing else can fit in there lol. Exhausted and heading out tomorrow! Will take some pics and post later. Hopefully it will help some future self mover lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the ramp used in the first post, but how much weight can the tail gate support with only one cable on the left side? Bike and rider?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I like the ramp used in the first post, but how much weight can the tail gate support with only one cable on the left side? Bike and rider?
Honda rates the tailgate for 300lbs dynamic load. The thick edge of the gate seems to be a little more robust for loading ramps than your typical thin metal tailgate.

If in good condition, the cable should not be the limiting factor - a 3/16" cable has a safe working load of 840lbs*.

However, there are a few things you can do to minimize risk.

- Use wide ramps when loading/unloading to distribute the weight across a larger area of the tailgate.

- Add a $6 chain or cable to the other side of the tailgate - search this forum for info.

- lay down a sheet of plywood in the bed, extending from the head of the bed to the edge of the tailgate. This will distribute the load throughout the bed and take some weight off of the tailgate. Thicker plywood is better. Make sure the plywood is secured.

*Here is some info you may find helpful:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the extender all the time and love it. Light and easy to use. I have had a KTM 790 Adventure in the back many times. Also 2 full sized dirt bikes side by side. I use the StepRamp.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts