Registered
2006 Ridgeline RT
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·

·
Registered
21 RTL-E in Lunar Silver Metallic
6 Posts
I've owned a Honda VF500 (used), Kawasaki KLR650 (new), Suzuki V-strom 650 (new) and now currently own a Zero FXS (new). By far the best gas-powered bike for cruising and commuting was the Suzuki V-strom. Very smooth motor, ultra reliable, lopes at highway speeds, doesn't mind tight turns and pot holes in the city, lots of aftermarket parts, and a cult following of dedicated owners. Highly recommend picking one up used. Also, if you haven't already done it, take a safety riding course and wear all the gear all the time. 👊

Update: forgot to include a link to for sale bikes. Here's a list of v-strom 650s for sale in the US: https://www.cycletrader.com/Suzuki-...im=650|3266&price=*:4000&zip=98125&radius=any

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not great for a starter bike, not comfortable even with energy seat fuel consumption ranges from 35 to 3 mpg. Money pit for the first few years because I just couldn’t leave it alone. Only in the shop once for some I added that failed. Bike is solid at 13 yrs old and 40000 miles. Pretty much a garage queen but always puts a smile on my face even standing still:)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
35 Posts
I learned to ride on a yz80, moved up to yz426. First street bike was a ninja zx6 and then the liter bike. Dirt bike will teach you controls, but motion dynamics of street bike are completely different.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Not great for a starter bike, not comfortable even with energy seat fuel consumption ranges from 35 to 3 mpg. Money pit for the first few years because I just couldn’t leave it alone. Only in the shop once for some I added that failed. Bike is solid at 13 yrs old and 40000 miles. Pretty much a garage queen but always puts a smile on my face even standing still:) View attachment 417871
I have had a similar experience with my 1800 Valkyrie. I live in what I think is a premier motorcycling part of the country but do not get out nearly as much as I would like. Handling an 800 pound bike is a degradable skill.

·
Registered
2011 Crystal Black Pearl Ridgeline RTL Navi
41 Posts
I was going to suggest a Ural, but you beat me to it. I have a 2012 Gear Up, great bike other than the powder coat paint job on that year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had a Ducati Scrambler (400), a Ducati Hypermotard 939 and I just sold a Ducati Monster 1200R last month. What did I buy to replace it? A CRF300L. Comfortable and can go anywhere basically. Parts are cheap and the maintenance is a breeze. I think a CRF250 or a DRZ around your price range would be ideal!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
892 Posts
Cool bike, but it is a little lacking on power (LOL). Almost too small to be practical on the street. There are times you need a little power to just get out of the way. Have you ever followed a dumba$$ on a little scooter on a side road? The rider that thinks he's on a REAL bike, helmet (a plus) and going wide open all the way up to 30MPH, down the center of the road. Even a used 250 street/trail would be a better, and safer option. It would cost a little more, but a trip to an emergency room can cost even more-if you live.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts