Should I?

• Buy a Grom

• Buy a used bike to work on

• Buy a dirt bike

• Something else

Motorcycle questions

12K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  mrshmllwBE 
#1 ·
I have always wanted a motorcycle but I don't want it as a daily driver, more of a fun day cruiser.

My price range is anything less than 3k and the main thing I want is a bike that's fun to work on with lots of aftermarket and affordable oem parts

The front runner is the Grom for all the reasons above, my only concern is the size will be just a little too small for my liking, I'm a moderately tall guy @6'2" and I feel like the grom might feel like riding a mini bike and that would definitely remove some enjoyment for me.

Maybe I just need to go test ride one and find out

My second choice is a used motorcycle that will be definitely bigger and probably faster and I don't mind putting some work into a bike to get it running but my motorcycle engine experience is pretty sad, if I choose this route I would like something that will be easy to work on even if the bike is older.

I really want a bike that will help me learn how to work on motorcycles and is still fun to ride.

I don't even necessarily need something reliable, just something that I will have to work on but has cheap and easily available parts.

For reference I'm a novice rider, I have some experience on the road but in a 150cc scooter

My question is just this

What motorcycles have you ridden, and what motorcycle was the most fun to work on.

See less See more
#2 ·
Suzuki sticks in my mind.

If you can control your throttle hand, the SV650 is a nice bike. I had an SV650S, which is more of a cafe racer, with poor ergonomics- stay away from that one. The SV650 has been around for 22 years, is very popular and you should be able to find a good used one without too much work.

If you think you might hit the occasional gravel road or fire trail, the DR-Z400 is a nice all-around bike that's been around about as long as the SV650.

These bikes have a big following, and thus a large online community to help you out with tips, tricks and wrenching. Sort of like ROC on steroids.

If you don't want a clutch, check out the Burgman and the other big scooters, or the Honda NCX bikes.

#3 ·
A question to answer your question......do you have some local motorcycle shops? Check out their used bikes. I'm not much of a mechanic....I'd rather ride than turn a wrench to keep it running/make it run.

Fun.....fun and comfortable......and fast. The DR (yellow one) was a steal, $2500, 1900 miles, never off pavement, pristine.

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks for the input and pictures

Honestly I want to work on the bike just as much as I want to ride it, my RL is my reliable and useful vehicle but I want a vehicle that I can work on/ fix/ upgrade without worrying about whether it will get me to work the next day.

I get lots of personal fulfillment from mechanical work and there is no better feeling to me than getting a vehicle to work when it didn't before.

#6 ·
Similar to your situation, I toy with the idea of a motorbike as a fun zippy companion

Here is a review that rivals those on ye ole BBC

He also built a van camper that fits the Grom in it as well!

TLDW;
the guy is over 6 geet ( 6.1) I believe and around 180lbs. He likes the Grom for what it is; a small fun rider that encourages revving it out like a Miata for the city or light gravel road.

#8 ·
No way on a Grom, to small, underpowered, and to low--people won't notice you. I've had numerous cruisers, from 1200 to 1600cc bikes, all underpowered and heavy as heck. I'm not a speed demon, never had a ticket for anything (never caught), but their are times you have to be able to get out of the way. My favorite type of bikes, are adventure bikes, the tall ,ugly, do it all bikes. I've had two V-Stroms, a 650 (SV650 motor) and a 1,000. Things to look for, ABS brakes, lifesavers themselves, a six speed gearbox, and other than that it's up to you. You may check for a 650 Kawasaki adventure bike, quite a few around. Being you height, a street/trail bike would be more comfortable, lighter weight, less maintence, less insurance cost, and get better mileage, Honda makes a Africa Twin, but it's not cheap.

#10 ·
Just from browsing used bikes in my price range I'm seeing a lot cruisers that are too big for me and a good amount of 250-350cc sport bikes that have damage from laying down or crashing, I was wondering if they might work but I think you are dead on for my style, I'm a little intimadated by a bike with more than 400ccs especially a taller one but dual sport is probably exactly what I want and need

#12 ·
My first bike was a new 1980 Honda CX500. Mom wouldn't let me get a bike, but after starting a full time job, and making decent money, I bought one. My first question to the dealer, how to you operate a motorcycle? I had never rode one. (I did know how to operate a manual tranny) He showed me the clutch, brake and so on, I started it up, went on a 4 lane highway home, with a helmet. My dad came home (X-Harley guy) and said let me have the keys, and he took it for a ride around the block. Came back, handed me the key, and said "nice bike son". I was relieved to say the least. You CAN go smaller in motor size, but make sure you have 6 speeds, otherwise it will vibrate the heck out of you on the highway.

#13 ·
All but two of my motorcycles came home in boxes. They were all great fun to put together and looked even better. Reliable....not so much. I'm a sucker for British basket cases.
The other two were a Laverda in 1975 and a Sportster in 2005. I rode the Laverda for 25 years with no problems and gave it away when I decided to stop riding. Five years later I bought the Sporty to get back on two wheels. Still haven't done anything but change oil and tires on that one.

What I'm trying to say is if you want to learn how to fix motorcycles buy a used one. If you want to ride buy a new one.

#14 ·
I had a blast on my 2019 Grom and preferred riding it over my 2019 PCX150 scooter and 2014 VFR800F sport tourer...until I was rear-ended by a distracted driver a couple of years ago while riding home from work. I sold all my two-wheelers and bought a new Miata.

#15 ·
I have definitely been thinking about this story when considering a Grom, I know it can and does happen on any bike but I feel like a smaller bike might be more likely to suffer this fate

I will say I do miss ultra high mpg of my little 150 scooter, only had 3/4 of a gallon tank and it would last me as long as a full tank in my car, only real reason I don't have it anymore is it was my daily driver to work for like a whole year and I cracked the cheap engine block one day on my way to work, had to borrow a vehicle from my Father in law for a while so I was bitter about it for a long time.

I got that in a crate and had to assemble part of it myself, I remember the engine was a clone GY6 and was actually pretty impressive besides the poor quality in the end, but it was only like 800$ and I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

I would pretty much be happy with anything that could go faster than that and can do off road, but it would be hard to buy something slower if I'm being frank

I may look into kit bikes and see if that is a thing I and if would be able to do it.

#19 ·
Just gonna throw this out there, even though it may not be the best choice...

I've always wanted a Yamaha TW200. I don't know why. It just looks like a fun little bike to bomb around on, in the perfect small size, but not too little. It may be the only new bike for sale in the U.S. that still has a kickstart. It's been around since the 80s, I think.

The TW200 still had a kickstarter not too long ago, and you could probably retrofit a new bike with a kickstarter. Why a kickstarter? For me, it's nostalgia. All the real bikes had kickstarters. ;) 😁 :devilish:

And the TW200 still gets close to 80mpg even with those fat tires!

#20 · (Edited)
My $0.02... Take it for what it's worth.

Start on a straight sitter standard/naked bike or a dual sport. You will have an easy time wrenching on the more exposed mechanicals and not hate yourself when (notice I didn't say "if") you drop it.
Show preference for sub 600cc for starters and avoid mini bikes (Grom, Z125). The ergos on a mini bike as a starter may start you on some bad habits, like putting feet down in tight turns and being so cramped that going lock/lock with the bars is damn near impossible for an adult.
There is a reason MSF starter courses have V-Star 250, CB300F, XT250, Rebel 250 and alike. Enough power and size to get you educated. Bonus is finding one used, using it for your first season or two, then selling it for almost all the cash you have into it for something bigger when you're ready.
All that said, it sounds you're experienced enough to skip this step, but that's up to you and your comfort level.

I started in the mid-80s on a 1979 CM125T. No MSF course, but the local grade school had a bicycle rodeo course painted on the parking lot. When I could do figure 8s on the pegs in the lines meant for grade schoolers on 20" bikes, I knew I was getting decent. Moved to a 454LTD cheap cruiser for late high school and college, then to sport/sport-tour bikes once working and able to handle and afford them. The '79 needed some love several times when I had it, and I learned mechanical skills while learning to ride.

Once you're settled riding (looks like you have gear, so ATGATT) then I'd get into 600cc+ standards (or others) and wrench away.

Short story from the survey = go used, small to mid sized.

#21 ·
I agree with what Vlad said re: working on the exposed mechanicals. It will be more of a pain to pull plastics off of even a small sportbike than an SV650 for work/maintenance. Unless you're interested in riding on the track, where race plastics can be removed quickly. If that's the case, I have a 2015 ZX10 for sale...

#26 · (Edited)
Have you considered buying a Vespa? I love scooters around town. Love not having a clutch in traffic. Lots of mods you can do and plenty of on-line forum support, you tube videos, etc. And being in Arizona - you aren't straddling a hot engine like you do with a conventional motorcycle. Look for a GTS if you really feel the need for speed! Search far and wide on Cycle Trader and use the Ridgeline to go get just the right one!

#28 ·
Not really interested in another scooter, and vespas are already at the higher end of my budget, I don't think it would be a great fit for me.

You may find some deals later in the year as pointed out above. I wore a good helmet, and still do on my ATV, but price isn't a way to judge a helmet. I had several HJC and a couple of Simpsons that all fit my big head. For clothes, I had a flo. orange construction insulated jacket I picked up at a flea market (new), and with my flo. orange helmet, I looked like a orange Michelin man. I also had heated bibs, I rode year round, not in snow, but down to 20 deg. was do able. I remember back in the 80's, a 500cc bike was big, Honda had the Silverwing which many rode two up on. A 1,000 cc bike was huge back then and many did not even exist. If you stay around 600cc or smaller I think you'll be O.K.
Climate plays a huge part in motorcycle prices in Arizona, right now is probably one of my best times to buy, its just too hot to ride right now and its never too cold to ride, we get down to 20F at the very lowest in winter but usually its around 40F most mornings, and a leather jacket is usually enough for that. I dont have the money atm to spend but i will be making my decision soon, yall have been a huge help and im looking forward to getting a bike now and working on it just as much as im looking forward to riding it.

#27 ·
You may find some deals later in the year as pointed out above. I wore a good helmet, and still do on my ATV, but price isn't a way to judge a helmet. I had several HJC and a couple of Simpsons that all fit my big head. For clothes, I had a flo. orange construction insulated jacket I picked up at a flea market (new), and with my flo. orange helmet, I looked like a orange Michelin man. I also had heated bibs, I rode year round, not in snow, but down to 20 deg. was do able. I remember back in the 80's, a 500cc bike was big, Honda had the Silverwing which many rode two up on. A 1,000 cc bike was huge back then and many did not even exist. If you stay around 600cc or smaller I think you'll be O.K.

#30 ·
I think I just found exactly what I was looking for on OfferUp, this guy is selling a low mileage but beaten up dr650, and he listed it as a lot of 3 bikes for 1,100, seeing how much he wants for the 650 and if he is willing to wait I will give him more than he asks, this got me kind of excited

#31 ·
That looks like it could be fun for both wrenching and riding. As long as there aren't major running issues that will eat your billfold and you could get it for a few hundred bucks. My preference would be getting one in much better condition and use 2/3 of your budget instead of 1/3 or less. Bet you could find someone liberating an early 2000s model in great shape for $2000-$2500. Your cash and time, so do what's right for you. I bet you'll have the difference into parts quickly.
Some quick observations...
Choke cable wrapped on bars and going to nowhere?
No bar end weights and replacement grips covering accommodations. Not sure if all years had them, but if they're missing, vibes will have you tingling quickly.
Nest of wires peeking out at tank/seat gap. Is that a wire nut?
Mad Max fan or roughed up? What's with killing the factory yellow, blue or white?
All light stalks and reflectors missing. Won't be street legal without indicators.
Chain guard gone. Grab rails gone. Side plate shifted forward. Maybe not important if not going 2 up.
Tank seat gap is HUGE. What's moved and why?
Brake fluid looks clear, that's good. Hope it's not so low I'm just not seeing it! I'd expect carmel for the condition of the rest of it.

I have a 1995 VFR750. one owner I'm willing to sell for $3000. Battery and you'd be safely on the road in minutes. A small amount of body TLC and you'd be OEM sexy too. Again - your money and time.....

#33 ·
He asked 500$ for it which I can basically afford at any time and it would be pretty easy for me to buy a couple parts a month until I get everything I need even if I end up spending over my budget I can spend more if it's spread out over time

I really appreciate the breakdown of potential issues on sight, it gives me a lot to think about

#34 ·
At 6'2" you're way to big for a Grom. The Kawasaki KLR 650 have been made forever and have outsold both the Honda XR 650 and the Suzuki DR 650 combined. It has a huge aftermarket and OEM parts are cheap too. Very comfortable for a tall guy. The only weakness is the "doo hickey" Eagle Mike makes the replacement part. Buying used asked if the doo hickey has been fixed. If the seller doesn't know what you're talking about, walk away.

#35 ·
I owned a KLR650 and DR650SE back to back. IMO, the DR was more "flickable" with much better brakes, than the KLR. The DR is lighter than the KLR. Also, iirc, the KLR had bucket/shim valve adjustment vs the much simpler nut/screw valve adjustment the DR had. More maintenance with the water cooled KLR vs the air cooled DR. The DR had an oil cooler bigger than the Ridgeline's tranny cooler.:eek: I read numerous posts in thumper forums saying the only way to overheat the DR was to wrap the motor in a blanket.👌 Again, just my $0.02 having both.

Attachments

#36 ·
The points that HRL makes about the DR are valid. But the KLR is a better road bike and has a huge gas tank. Replacing the DR's gas tank is as common as fixing the KLR doo hickey. The later model KLR has a very comfortable seat. That's something no one says about the Suzuki. Since your interested in working on the bike, do a Google search and see what has more available parts.

If your main focus is riding dirt then the Honda is better still.

In any case at the very least do a test ride for comfort and fit.

#37 ·
I will agree the KLR is a little more road worthy with a little more comfortable seat. However, there are dozens and dozens of bikes far more road worthy than the KLR and DR.….just like there are dozens and dozens of bikes far more off-road worthy than the KLR and DR.

#38 ·
I'll chime in.

Since you mentioned a Grom (125cc) you're talking lightweight. I agree with others that you're too tall for it (but it will be fun as heck). Perhaps a Yamaha XT250 or XT225? Earlier models are carbureted and super easy to work on, plus there are tons of aftermarket parts and accessories. For something a little taller in height, might I suggest a Honda CRF250L or Yamaha WR250R. All are dual sport bikes and reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.