Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if anyone has one and has used it yet for a sportbike. I know in all the press photos, they have the RL hauling around dirtbikes so I know this works w/ dirtbikes. Would the wider tires of a sportbike fit?

edit: I guess I'm referring to both the ramp that guides the motorcycle up to the bed as well as the piece in the front of the bed that keeps the front wheel stationary

·
Registered
762 Posts
If it helps any, the spot where the wheel goes in the front of the bed is about 4 5/8" wide. It doesn't come with any ramps.

-Trevor

·
Registered
484 Posts
Check your wheelbase too, the bed is about an inch or two short (depending on how much of it the wheel chock takes up) for my cruiser... :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
in their infinite wisdom, Honda sized the motorcycle guides so small that only dirt tires will fit in it. How do I know this? I just installed 3 of them, then tried to load a supermoto bike with a 120/70 front tire. it's about an inch too tight. forget about most sportbikes.

plenty of companies have departments that don't interact well. clearly, the bike people didn't have any involvement in the development of this accessory.

and the marketing people, who decided on the general name "motorcycle wheel guide" should have written their description "dirt bike wheel guide" and said clearly "not for street motorcycles".

this is so incredbly dumb, and overpriced to boot!

·
Registered
39 Posts
One of my justifications for getting the Ridgeline was that I would be able to put a motorcycle in the back. I carefully measured the dimensions with the tailgate down and found that both my bikes (a 2003 FJR 1300 and a 1974 BMW R90S) would fit (one at a time!) and the contact point (i.e. the center) of the rear wheel would rest about 3 to 4 inches in from the back end of the tailgate. With this in mind I purchased the Honda motorcycle brace online (about $200 including shipping) and sight unseen and then found out that it would only work with my R90S. Two problems, the width is just a little too narrow for the front tire of my FJR1300 but the real problem was that the FJR disc brake rotors hit the curved bracket before the wheel would have been all the way forward. Oh well, the FJR is meant to be ridden, not carried.

I have had success taking the R90S to rallies in the Ridgeline. I bought one of the three unit curved aluminum ramps (about $350 including shipping) from motorcycleramps.com (http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm) and it works very well for loading the R90S. Just make sure you have the center ramp anchored well to the bumper or trailer hitch.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Bottom line is that the Honda motorcycle brace will not work for modern sport bikes (only for vintage sport bikes and for dirt bikes). If you want to load a sport bike, install a different wheel brace/chock - there are plenty of them on the market.

BEEMR

·
Registered
12 Posts
A related question: There doesn't seem to be a separate chock-only part - If you've got 2 bikes you need to buy two whole units, which means you'll have 2 extra back walls (the original and a spare chock-holding one). Does anyone know how I can buy just a second chock (at hopefully less cost than the whole guide)?

TIA,

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a CBR 600RR, a BMW R1100S and in a couple of days, an Aprilla Mille Factory... The only reason I bought a Ridgeline is to haul my bikes around. I am going to the MotoGP in Laguna Seca in July and I will be hauling two CBRs in the bed.

That being said, I've already had my CBR up there, and I did not have any difficulty with length of the bed. I measured the wheelbase on my CBR prior to buying the Ridgeline and it seemed to be fine. Since my CBR is my primary track bike, it would not be the end of the world if my BMW does not fit up there, but I suspect it will judging by the wheelbase measurement.

As for wheel chocks, I had no intention of using the Honda accessory guides because I found them intrusive to be left on at all times, and I really didn't want to have them on there when I wasn't actually hauling bikes. It was my intent to just tie the bikes down quite securely using ample tie downs, and leave it at that. If at any time I feel the tie downs are not adequate, I will fashion my own wheel chock arrangement... one that can be removed when I am done hauling bikes.

As for the ramp, I am using a Black Widow ramp. This ramp suits me fine because it is actually wide enough to safely ride up the ramp or walk alongside the bike on the ramp. It supports 1500 pounds which is also more than adequate for my needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nox said:
I have a CBR 600RR, a BMW R1100S and in a couple of days, an Aprilla Mille Factory... The only reason I bought a Ridgeline is to haul my bikes around. I am going to the MotoGP in Laguna Seca in July and I will be hauling two CBRs in the bed.

That being said, I've already had my CBR up there, and I did not have any difficulty with length of the bed. I measured the wheelbase on my CBR prior to buying the Ridgeline and it seemed to be fine. Since my CBR is my primary track bike, it would not be the end of the world if my BMW does not fit up there, but I suspect it will judging by the wheelbase measurement.

As for wheel chocks, I had no intention of using the Honda accessory guides because I found them intrusive to be left on at all times, and I really didn't want to have them on there when I wasn't actually hauling bikes. It was my intent to just tie the bikes down quite securely using ample tie downs, and leave it at that. If at any time I feel the tie downs are not adequate, I will fashion my own wheel chock arrangement... one that can be removed when I am done hauling bikes.

As for the ramp, I am using a Black Widow ramp. This ramp suits me fine because it is actually wide enough to safely ride up the ramp or walk alongside the bike on the ramp. It supports 1500 pounds which is also more than adequate for my needs.
Hey NOX, you wouldn't happen to have picked that handle because you had a Husky NOX, would you? I just picked up an 05 KTM 525 SMR, the bike that didn't fit into the chocks.

I'm going to the MotoGP also - but I'm riding my BMW from NY!

Which Black Widow did you buy? I wanted to get one but I'm not sure which would fit into the bed of my Ridge with a bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
katoomofdoom said:
Hey NOX, you wouldn't happen to have picked that handle because you had a Husky NOX, would you? I just picked up an 05 KTM 525 SMR, the bike that didn't fit into the chocks.

I'm going to the MotoGP also - but I'm riding my BMW from NY!

Which Black Widow did you buy? I wanted to get one but I'm not sure which would fit into the bed of my Ridge with a bike.
Nope... Nox is a nickname given to me long ago by a girlfriend I used to have.

This is the best ramp in my opinion. It is very versatile. I have all three pieces connected together, but the parts can be used individually also. Works great with the Ridgeline:

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You guys have really great taste in bikes :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nox said:
Nope... Nox is a nickname given to me long ago by a girlfriend I used to have.

This is the best ramp in my opinion. It is very versatile. I have all three pieces connected together, but the parts can be used individually also. Works great with the Ridgeline:

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm

wow ok - i thought that the 94 inch one would be too much to fit into the truck with the bike - they make a few sizes.

is this sucker heavy? i know some ramps (especially the ReadyRamp bed extender) weigh a ton.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shovelhd said:
lol, thanks! that would be a good thread to start - what kind of bikes do you own/put in the back of your Ridge!

me:

05 Ducati Multistrada "S"
05 BMW K1200LT
05 KTM 525 SMR
04 Honda CRF 100 supermoto modded (17" wheels, 120 big bore kit, flatside carb, etc)

I sold my older bikes and got all new stuff in the past year, that's why all the 05s!

·
Registered
51 Posts
shovelhd said:
Thanks.... I'm sorry to say I'm not much of a Harley guy....

I've always been a fan of Fast Movers.... from my cars to my bikes.

Currently, my other vehicles are:

Chevy Corvette
BMW R1100S
Honda CBR 600RR

and hopefully by the end of the day, an Aprilia Mille Factory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
katoomofdoom said:
wow ok - i thought that the 94 inch one would be too much to fit into the truck with the bike - they make a few sizes.

is this sucker heavy? i know some ramps (especially the ReadyRamp bed extender) weigh a ton.
To be honest, when I have all three sections cobbled together, I put in inside the rear of the cab. With the seats folded up, it is a good fit. However, if I keep it in sections, it would easily fit in the bed next to the bike(s).

It's all aluminum. so it's not that heavy. Meaning, I can easily lift it myself.

One thing I have yet to try is to put two sportbikes in the bed side-by-side. I am hoping this will be possible because I need to haul two CBRs up to Laguna Seca this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nox said:
To be honest, when I have all three sections cobbled together, I put in inside the rear of the cab. With the seats folded up, it is a good fit. However, if I keep it in sections, it would easily fit in the bed next to the bike(s).

It's all aluminum. so it's not that heavy. Meaning, I can easily lift it myself.

One thing I have yet to try is to put two sportbikes in the bed side-by-side. I am hoping this will be possible because I need to haul two CBRs up to Laguna Seca this year.

thanks man!

i'm ordering one today :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey nox, nice RR. i have the same pipe.

when you do get to putting 2 bikes up there, do u think u can take a couple pics for us? i'm very interested in seeing how much room is back there. thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look ma, no chocks, no wheel guides.....

I picked up my new Aprilia Mille Factory V-Twin today and brought her home on my Ridgeline. All I did was strap her down using the built in cleats and tie-downs. Used a Black Widow ramp to walk her up onto the bed.

The bike held steady as a rock all the way home.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts