Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday after leaving work on my Honda Grom, I was driving down a two-lane road and slowed down to make a left turn when I was hit from behind by a GMC Sierra. I estimate I was going about 30-35 at the time and he was going about 55-60. He had been behind me for a couple of miles since I had turned onto that road. He never hit the brakes until he hit me. Somehow, my motorcycle stayed upright - I didn't lay it down until we both came to a stop. I have back and foot injuries, but I'm able to get around slowly so far. It goes without saying that I feel "like I was hit by a truck".

It's bad, but it could have been much worse. The bike stayed upright and he pushed me about 100 ft. to a stop. I'm not sure I'd be posting this if the bike had laid down on its side resulting in the pickup rolling over me.

The driver admitted to the police officer that he simply did not see me. He had insurance. I had my first ambulance ride to the ER where I spent about 5 hours getting x-rayed and bandaged.

Even after I'm able, I'm not sure I'll be riding any more after this. No matter how safe I am, other people just don't pay attention - especially to motorcycles. I can almost guarantee this guy was looking at his phone and not what was in front of him. This was a rural area with no distractions - nothing but pine trees and pavement for miles. He HAD to know there was a motorcycle in front of him because he was behind me for miles. He simply wasn't paying attention when I slowed down to make a turn.

I would imagine the $3,400 motorcycle is totaled - the rear of the frame was bent up and there are lots of broken and bent parts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You are lucky to be alive.
I've loved riding bikes since 1970 but I'm riding less and less every year. The distracted driving thing is terrifying. My whole family was rear ended in a Honda Accord by a 20 something dialing her phone. Never touched the brakes.
If they can't see a 2 week old Accord how can bikes survive?
For the last few years I've only been riding on Sunday mornings from 8:00am to 10:00am. I figure the good people are in church and the bad are at home nursing their hangovers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Holy s*** and glad you lived to tell the tale. I stopped riding nearly two decades ago after a near death experience with a drunk driver on a two lane road.

Get some rest and for God’s sake man go play the lottery! You are the luckiest man alive right now...

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,250 Posts
Echoing what you already know: "You are an extraordinarily fortunate individual."

Nothing else to say, your OP pretty-well covered it IMO. And I appreciate omission of the word "accident".

…. and for God’s sake man go play the lottery!
He did, he 'won' ….. IMO even for the most superstitious it's silly to tempt the fates further ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
When I noticed your screen name on the post, I figured there would be an interesting story to follow. I am so thankful you were not injured seriously. Too many people just do not pay attention while driving. I am all for the states that do not allow drivers to to touch their cellphones while driving - most recently Tennessee. I don't blame you for opting out of motorcycle riding after that incident.

That is simply amazing that your bike stayed upright until you came to a stop!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Glad you're OK. Don't let stuff like this turn you off riding.

A motorcycles main defense is maneuverability. I always have half an eye on what's behind and will push myself out if I feel traffic is too close.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Dang, @zroger73, it seems you were extremely lucky! Don't sign any legal papers for a few days, make sure your neck and back are in good shape first!

I stopped riding 13 years ago because it made the wife a nervous wreck (figuratively speaking, in this case). When i was riding, i just pretended everyone was out to get me, and i was constantly looking for exit strategies.

Back then, all we riders had to worry about was people not seeing us simply because they didn't expect to see us (google "gorillas in our midst"). Nowadays, phones are ubiquitous, and likely more people than not are looking at them while driving, especially in rural areas.

Scary stuff. Scary times.

Glad you are doing ok!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,250 Posts
Glad you're OK. Don't let stuff like this turn you off riding.

A motorcycles main defense is maneuverability. I always have half an eye on what's behind and will push myself out if I feel traffic is too close.
Skilled defensive riding is good but it's not perfect. Risk tolerance is a very personal matter and it's always changing based in large part on personal experience (second only to one's sense of external obligations / dependents IMO / IME).

Personally, even as a long-term rider who loves and advocates for the sport, I never encourage a rider (or former rider) to go against their instincts. IME 'riding afraid' is contrary to effectively 'riding skilled and defensive', and riding against one's instincts almost always yields the former, not the latter.

Some folk's instincts say "stay off that horse that just hurt (or nearly hurt) me" …. I say "no worries, let that stand, it's just a sport".

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is amazing that you were not fatally injured.

I am glad you are able to write about it. Recover quickly.

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I genuinely appreciate everyone's concern. A warm shower and redressing of the wounds earlier was certainly refreshing. I'm not one who likes to sit around doing nothing - I prefer to keep my mind and/or body active and productive, so sitting or lying around taking cat naps and watching random videos on YouTube while letting my body heal is deliberate boredom for me!

While I certainly don't feel good, I expected to feel considerably worse this next day. I'm a very independent person and don't like relying on others, but I'm fortunate to have family nearby and friends who are willing to help in any way necessary.

The state trooper who worked the scene told me again that the driver stated he was aware that I was in front of him for almost two miles, but that he had "looked away for a second" and didn't realize I was turning.

I think I'm going to fully recover, but I'm smart enough to know what and what not to sign. I have medical insurance and he had liability insurance. The loss of the motorcycle is not a hardship. Serving as the hood ornament for a GMC pickup for a hundred feet is!

The best I can tell, the rear tire of my Grom got stuck under the front bumper and the rear frame got stuck in the grille of his truck which helped to keep me upright and from bouncing out in front of him. I speculate that had that happened, I would have been ran over. As it was, I was forced back into the the grill of his truck and held there until we both came to a complete stop at which point I let go of the bike, walked off the road, and called 911. I was literally "hit by a truck". A very narrow set of conditions kept me on the bike and upright until we stopped.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No doubt that was the longest 100' of your life! You are, indeed, one fortunate guy. Getting hit by a truck is not a situation many people are able to walk away from. I hope your injuries mend quickly and completely.

Back in the day, I rode a '54 Harley Panhead, fully chopped. I loved that bike, and I loved riding it. I gave it up after seeing what was left of a dear friend on the freeway. It took the joy out of it for me.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Glad that you will live to see another day and that you are evaluating your use of motorcycles. Gosh, when you run the outcomes through your mind, you definitely lucked out, could have been tragic.

There are just too many moving objects on the roads these days and when there are not then it's just human error or bad luck. Hope the healing goes smoothly with no long lasting effects. Would love to know about the litigation process but know that after your Civic SI saga, you will be prohibited from sharing on the forum. Hope that you get compensation. I also wonder if the driver safety aids in the GMC (I don't think there were any) would have helped.

·
Administrator
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad that you will live to see another day and that you are evaluating your use of motorcycles. Gosh, when you run the outcomes through your mind, you definitely lucked out, could have been tragic.

There are just too many moving objects on the roads these days and when there are not then it's just human error or bad luck. Hope the healing goes smoothly with no long lasting effects. Would love to know about the litigation process but know that after your Civic SI saga, you will be prohibited from sharing on the forum. Hope that you get compensation. I also wonder if the driver safety aids in the GMC (I don't think there were any) would have helped.
The criminal trial for the man who damaged my Civic Si is finally coming up next week after a year and nine months. I will be testifying on behalf of the state.

Hopefully, the civil case should start moving soon as well.

The driver who ran into my motorcycle this week had insurance, but from a neighboring state with relatively low minimum liability requirements. Based on his vehicle, residence, and appearance, I'm confident he carried only the legal minimum and would not be capable of paying any deficiency. I'll be lucky to get reimbursed for the motorcycle and medical bills alone.

Naturally, my biggest concern right now is healing to the point I stop hurting. Since the motorcycle is only a few months old with 1,100 miles on it, I will not accept a penny less than full replacement value - especially considering its relatively low cost.

For 2014, GMC offered Forward Collision Alert as part of the optional Driver Alert Package. It provides alerts, but does not automatically brake the vehicle.

The truck was equipped with ABS. If he had seen me before impact and swerved to the right, this thread wouldn't exist.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Roger, that sucks, hope you are on the mend.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The criminal trial for the man who damaged my Civic Si is finally coming up next week after a year and nine months. I will be testifying on behalf of the state.

Hopefully, the civil case should start moving soon as well.

The driver who ran into my motorcycle this week had insurance, but from a neighboring state with relatively low minimum liability requirements. Based on his vehicle, residence, and appearance, I'm confident he carried only the legal minimum and would not be capable of paying any deficiency. I'll be lucky to get reimbursed for the motorcycle and medical bills alone.

Naturally, my biggest concern right now is healing to the point I stop hurting. Since the motorcycle is only a few months old with 1,100 miles on it, I will not accept a penny less than full replacement value - especially considering its relatively low cost.

For 2014, GMC offered Forward Collision Alert as part of the optional Driver Alert Package. It provides alerts, but does not automatically brake the vehicle.

The truck was equipped with ABS. If he had seen me before impact and swerved to the right, this thread wouldn't exist.

View attachment 395705
Yesterday, we dropped off our daughter to college at (Cornell University in NY) where the 60 miles of the drive were on a road just like the one you have pictured. Stuff can happen so quickly and extra spacing is needed since there are no shoulders or runoff areas . Who knows what would have happened if you had left the roadway. It will probably take some time to sink in but it's amazing that you are not in a hospital.

·
Registered
187 Posts
From your description of the impact and rear wheel getting lodged in the bumper, it makes me wonder, had you been riding one of your full size bikes, if the outcome would have been worse.

Glad to hear you're alive and healing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
So glad your injuries were minor and that you are on the mend. I think you are doing the right thing by ending your two-wheeler days voluntarily.

My dad loved motorcycles his whole live and owned many over the years. He and mom would often go for day trips on his last bike, a Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850. It was a big bike, with full fairing, saddle bags and 'trunk'. He taught me to be hyper-aware of all other vehicles and the drivers. He did everything he could to be sure to be seen, they wore orange vest and the bike was equipped with aircraft landing lights as DRL lights, multiple rear tail lights, and the loudest airhorns I've ever heard. Despite all of this, he and mom were rear ended while they were waiting in the left turn lane at a traffic light. They were banged up pretty good and he sold the bike as soon as the repairs were completed. "Too many morons on the road". That was 30-years ago and the drivers have only gotten worse since then.

Last week a good friend who owns a Honda Metropolitan scooter with less than 1,000 miles on it and it looks like brand new, he wants to clear out his garage and offered it to me recently for $500. He bought it new and takes great care of it so it's a fantastic deal, but I told him no thanks, too many morons on the road.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts