Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few horror stories about mouse damage in Honda pilots and ridgelines and some others I decided to head off the problem before it happened -so here is what I did -its not pretty but will be effective and is hidden so it doesnt have to look good. The main issue/entry point on most vehicles including ridge is via the cowl air intake which is open and gives easy access for mice to enter heater system, fan motor, cabin air filter and then even cabin by chewing through filter -so you want to stop them from ever entering. If you remove plastic cover from passenger side cowl area which you will see with hood open just below wipers -you will see a seam where passenger side cowl cover can be separated from drivers side -remove 2 plastic pins & rubber molding and you can pry this cowl cover up -it will pop free-I just used a bungee cord to hold it up so didnt even have to totally remove it. Now you will see a series of rectangular cutouts -the left most one is in front of right edge of raised air intake. This air intake will be almost impossible to access without cutting or bending some of that thin sheetmetal panel in front of it. In my case what I did was enlarge that left most access hole to give me enough room to get a peice of wire mesh in & on top of intake plenum -I then forced construction grade silicone through mesh onto plenum top edge gluing it down -looks kinda sloppy but is plenty strong and if a mouse tried to chew into it he would hit wire mesh -so they wont be able to get in.I then made a cover for cutout area from metal reinforced gasket material and fastened over my expanded cut out area to return opening to approx orig size (probably an unnecessary step) The second area I adressed was the 2 pressure vents on back cabin wall, these are easily accessed by removing outside fiberglass panel from in the bed of the truck. These would be pretty easy for a mouse to get through as they are just thin little rubber flaps and a mouse can definitely get up into that area, so I just added screens to those. One other area which I havent done yet but will be doing is the large vent at front right of trunk area (why did they make it so large?) it apparently releives pressure when closing trunk lid-you could screen this on either side but from inside is probably easiest. I have included a coupla pics

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts