Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows if MP3 CDs will work with the stock changer in our RTL.

Haven't had time to burn a disc & try it, and there is nothing in the docs about formats.

Also, will it do CD-Text?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nope, MP3s won't play in CD changer. Honda does sell an MP3 Player kit that mounts in place of that little storage bin under your stereo. The mounting kit is not available yet, but hopefully soon! I can't wait to get mine!!!

Check out the link below...best price I've found to date:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline.html

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's a disappointment. Seems silly in these modern times of multi-format players, to spend another $400 on another gizmo that can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.

Still, if you come across the owner's manual for this online somewhere, please post the link. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The installation manual for the optional MP3 player is located on the same link that I mentioned above. It's a 10-minute project at best!

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keoni said:
The installation manual for the optional MP3 player is located on the same link that I mentioned above...
Ya I saw that. I'm looking for the OWNER'S MANUAL that is referenced therein.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Don't buy that MP3 player without trying out one of your CDs first. I'm happy to report that my CDs that I burned on my Mac in MP3 format play perfectly. I was prepared for them to not play, given the high priced MP3 player accessory. I was not going to buy the MP3 player, since I have the RTL with the AUX input for my iPod.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Truckin' said:
Don't buy that MP3 player without trying out one of your CDs first. I'm happy to report that my CDs that I burned on my Mac in MP3 format play perfectly. I was prepared for them to not play, given the high priced MP3 player accessory. I was not going to buy the MP3 player, since I have the RTL with the AUX input for my iPod.
I believe those of you who have the Navi equipped RLs have a headunit that can read DVDs...I have an RTL w/SR no Navi and it DOES NOT play mp3s. You could try it but trust me it does not work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Burning an audio cd from MP3s is different than creating a cd containing native MP3 files. You could fit up to about 20 songs in cd audio format, but up to 200 songs in MP3 format.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Oh, that would explain the difference. Thanks for the clarification. I simply didn't expect it to play anything burned at home.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Truckin' said:

Yay!!!!! Another Mac user........ I've got Macs everywhere in my house and at work. Yes, I get to use a Mac at work, too!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I use Macs as well.

Does the NAVI version come with the MP3 player?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine works fine, I have a RTL w/Nav and it plays burnt CD's just fine MP3 or WMA format. I choose the WMA as its easier for me to keep everything in a single format and library it all. My experience sofar is that you have to at least make each WMA file 96K or it starts to sound like your in a tunnel. I have a MP3 player I plug into the EXT input and it also works great !!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I've found a much higher than expected ratio of Mac users who are Ridgeline owners. It's a joy whenever I bump into another Mac Head. I guess it just shows that people who expect quality products are drawn to the Ridge. Many of us are also loyal Mac enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
zero said:
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I use Macs as well.

Does the NAVI version come with the MP3 player?
The NAVI model DOES NOT have the mp3 player built in. It does have an AUX input so that you can connect your mp3 player into the radio.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mac user and future Ridgeline owner here...

When you say it played an MP3 CD, that could mean two different things.

First, it's possible to use MP3 files to burn a "normal" music CD. Toast on the Mac can do this. It takes MP3 song files and converts them to "normal" song files (AIFF format I believe) resulting in a everyday CD that most any modern CD player can play. Due to file size after conversion, the CD can only hold about 12-18 songs, depending on length.

Second, you can burn a "data" CD featuring mp3 files. In this process the mp3 files remain mp3 files, allowing you to burn 200-odd mp3 files onto a single disc. This disc can NOT be played on regular CD players. It can only be read by a computer or by a player built read to an MP3 data disc.

So unless they designed the 6-disc player to play MP3 data files, it's not an MP3 player. Since they sell another device for this purpose, I would find it very surprising to learn that it does play MP3s.

Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
If my post was confusing let me clarify and comment of some other posts....

RE: RTL W/NAV

Does it play MP3 DATA Disc's ? NO

Does it play Burnt MUSIC Disc's? YES - MP3 and WMA file extensions are what I use.

Can you get the MP3 player from Honda? YES

Can you use an external MP3 Player? YES - Why buy Honda's when you can buy a portible player and take it with you? * NOTE* This option works wonderful and I would like to see Honda come out with a portible unit that can be controlled with all radio funtions and steering wheel controls.

The NAVIGATION DVD player is under the drivers seat and does NOT play regular DVD's without the " Tweek " to do so. Has it been done? YES

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you burn an Audio CD from the mp3 files, it will work fine. I've got 6 differnet mixed CD's in mine and it's working well. I think an MP3 format CD just has the MP3 files burned as individual files but most burners can burn the MP3's as an Audio CD.

~JP~

·
Registered
953 Posts
bellteck said:
The NAVIGATION DVD player is under the drivers seat and does NOT play regular DVD's without the " Tweek " to do so. Has it been done? YES
No it does not - the person who had DVD video, added an additional player and wired it in through the backup camera input with a switch. Its just a DVD ROM no video.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This topic is very near and dear to my heart. So let's calirify please.

The CD players ( All models) in the Ridgline family CANNOT read a file extension ending in .mp3 .wma , etc...

it can only read a WAV aka: CDA These are the file extensions that you will find on a commercial CD.

If your player is playing a cd with .mp3 or .wma PLEASE inform us HOW you did it. This would save us all allot of money.

I am a fan of mp3. I like burning on a CD and rolling down the road with about 7 to 10 CD's on one disc. I like the fact that I can throw it away and do it again. I don't like plugging anything in. PIA! POwer supply. extra wires, POO!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts