Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

Here is some food for thought. Is the MP3 player really necessary? If you have Nero or Windows Media Player 9 software on your pc you should be able to create studio quality music compilations from mp3's or wma's and convert them to regular cd audio tracks.

If you are inexperienced ripping audio files, a tip to insure the highest quality sound is to rip your files at 44mhz and at least at 128kbps.

These are settings you can assign in Windows Media Player 9.

Take your mp3s and burn them to a cd using Nero or Windows media 9. Those programs will convert files into cda files that can be played on your stock head unit with no problem.

Keep your hard earned money and spend it on gas cuz you know you love driving that thing and yeah...you can play your mp3 tunes also. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
An MP3 player cannot be so easily defeated by plain old audio CDs. Whereas an audio CD can at best fit 20 or so three- to four-minute songs, an MP3 disc can store upwards of 160 songs encoded at 192kbps (your quote of 128kbps will not satisfy the audiophile, Cali :)). That ability can't even be squeezed out of a 6-disc changer!

On top of that, the fact that MP3s are nothing more than data files allows you to organize your songs in any manner you choose. You can do standard Artist / Album / Tracks organization or mix it up and sort a collection of one-hit-wonders by genre or time period. It's just directories and files on a disc, so you can do anything you can do with files on a computer! Plus, any MP3 head unit worth its weight in pirated music can display text for the Artist and Song name, as well as Album and other less useful information like the Bitrate.

That being said, I have never been impressed by factory-installed audio equipment, and am in no way suggesting that the Ridgeline MP3 player itself is worth the cash. :D

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I would rather have an mp3/wm9 player than standard audio cd player. I use 320k rather than 190k compression, its alot cleaner and yes its bigger than 128 or 190k mp3 files. MP3 disc can store up to 8 foldrs of MP3's with 18 tracks per folders. almost similar to 6 to 10 disc changer and less hardware to put inside the vehicle. Audio Cd's basically you have to change once the album or cd is done. MP3 can play hours and hours of music depending if you're traveling cross country. I guess its all personal preference.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
My six disk CD player will be wasted because my 60 gig iPod is going to keep the tunes playing for weeks without a repeat. No more scratched disks or shuffle changing CDs on top of my lap from wallet to player to load more music.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Great Tristano said:
An MP3 player cannot be so easily defeated by plain old audio CDs. Whereas an audio CD can at best fit 20 or so three- to four-minute songs, an MP3 disc can store upwards of 160 songs encoded at 192kbps (your quote of 128kbps will not satisfy the audiophile, Cali :)). That ability can't even be squeezed out of a 6-disc changer!

On top of that, the fact that MP3s are nothing more than data files allows you to organize your songs in any manner you choose. You can do standard Artist / Album / Tracks organization or mix it up and sort a collection of one-hit-wonders by genre or time period. It's just directories and files on a disc, so you can do anything you can do with files on a computer! Plus, any MP3 head unit worth its weight in pirated music can display text for the Artist and Song name, as well as Album and other less useful information like the Bitrate.

That being said, I have never been impressed by factory-installed audio equipment, and am in no way suggesting that the Ridgeline MP3 player itself is worth the cash. :D
Actually...I've ripped at 128kbps at 44mhz in the wma format while retaining full cd quality with no distortion at all. And on average they are half the size of mp3s. I'm pretty sure this is why a lot of the aftermarket head units and personal audio players are now not just mp3 compatible but wma compatible. And as far as file organization and CDText reading features go, yeah I agree with you. But the last senctence pretty much makes my point. Is it worth it? Probably not.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
its just personal preference i think, yes its great you don't have to switch the cd when playing MP3/WMA, it has the same qualities as cd and there's no quality distortion from converting from WAV to MP3/WMA if done right. CD are also great in a way that you can share with your friends without any special equipment or a computer, but that was also said when CD's first time it came out when everyone had tape players. Again its all personal preference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CaliforniaRidgeline said:
Actually...I've ripped at 128kbps at 44mhz in the wma format while retaining full cd quality with no distortion at all. And on average they are half the size of mp3s. I'm pretty sure this is why a lot of the aftermarket head units and personal audio players are now not just mp3 compatible but wma compatible. And as far as file organization and CDText reading features go, yeah I agree with you. But the last senctence pretty much makes my point. Is it worth it? Probably not.
Although the 44,100 Hz number is proven by Nyquist's Law, there's no sure way to get CD quality by bitrate. It all depends on the MP3 / WMA encoder. Faster encoders, which tend to be the most popular because people don't know better (and think faster is better!), will totally slaughter a song at 128kbps. A higher quality encoder may pull it off, but I have no experience with WMA as I try to avoid M$ whenever possible. :D

Yes, the stock MP3 player is really unnecessary if you have an iPod or any interest in aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Yes, the stock MP3 player is really unnecessary if you have an iPod or any interest in aftermarket equipment.
That's the direction I plan on taking. :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
How would I get the signal from my iPod into my stock stereo deck? Is there an adapter that converts the 14-pin plug in the back to an Aux input? I don't have the navigation, as it doesn't work in Hawaii.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm considering a iPod that plugs into the stereo. It costs the same as the mp3 player and you can store more songs and take it with you. Alpine makes a unit to do this. The audio dealer near me said the plug could be install in the small drawer below the stereo and would charge the iPod at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use the IRock FM modulator

A neat and nifty way to get your tunes from your Ipod, etc is to use an IRock FM modulator. The quality is not as great as a "real" MP3 player but you can take it anywhere and listen to it on any FM receiver. It plugs into the headphone jack of your player.

I use it while driving the company rig, rental cars, and of course the Ridge which has the stock 6 CD player. For 20 dollars it is versatile and cheap. However if you are an audiophile YMMV.

Andre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts