Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on the interstate this weekend with a trip of 160 miles to destination and then a return trip. Decided to try the ECON and cruise control for the first time.

The trip out I used Econ and cruise was set at 70mph. I did battle a moderate headwind and recorded 24.8mpg with the computer. I was not impressed with ECON, the truck lacked power. Real effort to pass anyone.

The trip back I DID NOT use ECON, had cruise set at 70mph and had a moderate tailwind. This time I recorded 28.9mpg. The tailwind might have helped some, but I can't believe it helped 4.1 mpg. I really enjoyed the passing power.

I did not have AC on either trip, both trips had myself and wife, plus one suitcase. The interstate was pretty much level all the way, so no grade to take into consideration either direction.

I am happy with the mileage I've been getting, both city & highway. As for the ECON, I don't see myself using it much, if at all. Maybe someday out on the interstate I'll check it out again just to see if I can get an improvement in mpg. The lack of power in ECON was noticeable. I'm going to have to see a substantial improvement in mpg in ECON before I give up any power, otherwise it's not worth it to me.

· Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'll definitely be checking out the ECON next time I'm on the interstate. Hopefully I'll have a good tailwind.

· Administrator
24,908 Posts
I was not impressed with ECON, the truck lacked power. Real effort to pass anyone.
The truck is no less powerful with ECON mode on - it just seems that way because it remaps the correlation between the accelerator pedal travel and throttle opening in such a way that it requires more accelerator pedal travel to open the throttle by the same amount as with ECON mode off...up to a point. Fully pressing the accelerator pedal fully opens the throttle whether ECON mode is on or off. ECON mode does not make the engine more efficient or less powerful.

Two identical Ridgelines - one with ECON mode off and one with ECON mode on - will accelerate from 0-60 at the same rate at full throttle.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
That's a good point. Thanks for bringing it up.

I'll definitely be checking out the ECON next time I'm on the interstate. Hopefully I'll have a good tailwind.
I was lucky enough to get a tailwind in Teas for about 150 miles on a CC trip in a motorhome. The MPG for that section (I *HAD* to stop and fill it up again) was 11mpg. I got 6-8 mpg for the rest of the trip.

· Registered
128 Posts
Ibjgh, do you have data from a longer trip?
My BE gives me 8.5ish/100kms but when I don't reset it... it slowly creeps to 9 then more kms later, say 1000, it hovers around 10.5 to 10.7 liters/ 100 kms.

... do I just have a lead foot? lol

· Registered
2,316 Posts
From fuelly.com:

Based on data from 38 vehicles, 257 fuel-ups and 70,552 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.07 with a 0.46 MPG margin of error.

· Administrator
24,908 Posts
From fuelly.com:

Based on data from 38 vehicles, 257 fuel-ups and 70,552 miles of driving, the 2017 Honda Ridgeline gets a combined Avg MPG of 21.07 with a 0.46 MPG margin of error.
21 seems to be the magic number - that's also the combined EPA estimate and the number I get if I "just drive" as opposed to being a little conservative in the name of efficiency.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.