Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is great! Just picked one up at Advance today and tried it out tonight. No spots whatsoever. Even better than drying it by hand and a lot easier. Thanks to those that recommended it here because I never would have bought it otherwise.

I do think it's a little expensive...$35 for the equipment, then about $10 for the soap and filter every 10 uses ($1.00 per wash), but if all the washes are as good as this first one I'll be happy with it.

Now all I need is a good wax! What do you guys think? Paste or liquid? Any carnuba wax is OK? One that's easier to put on but is still good quality?

·
Registered
89 Posts
check out collinite.com there marque d' elegance is the best wax out on the market right now, you can also use there #885 fleetwax on your car also you can get that in any marine store

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Based on a comment that I read on ROC I also have tried the Mr Clean system and found it to work pretty much as advertised. There are no water spost after everything dries. Our water is very hard and Mr Clean does the job. By the way, I found a great assortment of cleaning products at Target made mostly by Rubbermaid. There is a bucket with a screen in the bottom that the heavy dirt particles can settle into and hopefully not get recycled back onto the wash mit and scratch the paint. There is also a number of microfiber towles that work very well. I was surprised to see the assortment of quality car care products at Target. They do not have everything for everyone but they did have products that I have not seen elsewhere. There is this neat little detailing tool that is great for picking the bugs off the crevaces on front of my Harley (and from between my teeth!). After rinsing with Mr Cleans filtered final rinse setting, I finished drying with the microfiber towel. My wifes Accord looks like it was just waxed. Because the car was so spotless, I did the entire car with DryWash and Guard in twenty minutes. Now it really shines! This was a test run for my Black RTL that I will finally pick up in the next day or two. It will by my first black vehicle and since I am somewhat anal about keeping the vehicles clean I know that I will need to be especially careful with the new one. :cool:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
swampler said:
Now all I need is a good wax! What do you guys think? Paste or liquid? Any carnuba wax is OK? One that's easier to put on but is still good quality?
I use the Maguire's Gold. It holds up really well to the rain up here in Oregon. The one draw back is it has turned my RL in to a target for birds. I have never had a vehicle hit by birds as much as my RL since waxing her. At least a light spray off with the hose cleans it right off.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I too bought a Pro kit today and tried it out on my '05 Ody and I am pleased with the results. The Ridgeline is next.

Thanks for the tip about Target. I will have to check out their selection. My garage is littered with the various items I have bought in the past. I am going to give Zaino a try for the finishing touch.

I do have a question. How do I bypass the filter mechanism once the filter craps out? I have a water purifier system that includes the hose bibs so I shouldn't need the filter once it is spent. Also, can you use any brand soap or does it have to be Mr. Clean?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I believe the soap is their formula. So you might at least stick with it. If you have a good wax job on the vehicle you could by pass the Ionized water rinse. You might want to hit the windows though especially if its warm out.

Personally, I hope Costco comes out with the 20 gallon drum of the soap soon. Beacuse those tiny refill soaps (roughly 5 washes per) are a bit annoying.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zero,

There is a warning to use only Mr. Clean soap or the device could clog up.

As for the rinse, the pro has 3 settings: High pressure (for hard to get spots), regular pressure, and deionized (uses the filter). To bypass the filter, just don't use the deionized setting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
mayfielh said:
I believe the soap is their formula. So you might at least stick with it. If you have a good wax job on the vehicle you could by pass the Ionized water rinse. You might want to hit the windows though especially if its warm out.

Personally, I hope Costco comes out with the 20 gallon drum of the soap soon. Beacuse those tiny refill soaps (roughly 5 washes per) are a bit annoying.
I bought a refill pack at Costco--$15 for 2 filters and 2 bottles of soap.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sweet I was going there today anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
swampler said:
...is great! Just picked one up at Advance today and tried it out tonight. No spots whatsoever. Even better than drying it by hand and a lot easier. Thanks to those that recommended it here because I never would have bought it otherwise.

I do think it's a little expensive...$35 for the equipment, then about $10 for the soap and filter every 10 uses ($1.00 per wash), but if all the washes are as good as this first one I'll be happy with it.

I used this product several times on vehicle I traded for RL. I loved the
fact of no drying, and no water spots. I did notice though, It seemed to strip
the wax off the paint. I felt unprotected and stopped using it. The magic is in the soap. Its like the stuff you put in your dishwasher to prevent spots.
I use a chamois to dry my RL. Its takes time and I see all the new nicks and
chips. I use wax only, not cleaner wax. RL is to new to have dirt on the
finish.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RRPRTS said:
I used this product several times on vehicle I traded for RL. I loved the
fact of no drying, and no water spots. I did notice though, It seemed to strip
the wax off the paint. I felt unprotected and stopped using it. The magic is in the soap. Its like the stuff you put in your dishwasher to prevent spots.
I use a chamois to dry my RL. Its takes time and I see all the new nicks and
chips. I use wax only, not cleaner wax. RL is to new to have dirt on the
finish.
They say it won't strip the wax. I'll be able to tell easily though if water quits beading in the rain.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
RRPRTS said:
I did notice though, It seemed to strip
the wax off the paint. I felt unprotected and stopped using it.

I wondered about that too. I looked at their site and ther FAQ says:
"Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash does not strip wax. Mr. Clean AutoDry doesn't leave behind a film, just a thin, temporary layer of the Dry Rinse Polymer molecules, which are replenished each time the car gets washed. These do not strip the wax, or harm the paint or clearcoat in any way."

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/faq.shtml

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have been using it since the product hit the market early last year and I certainly never noticed any wax strippage. I generally wash my vehicles every 2-3 weeks unless they need it sooner. I also wax my cars every 3-4 months due to the amount of rain we get here in Oregon as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A great "touchless" drying technique is to use your electric leaf blower. No spots and no scratches from the chamois I use one on my motorcylce all the time with great results. Black and Decker makes a cordless sweeper that is the best.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I purchased the deluxe Mr. Clean system a while ago due to everybody's glowing reports. I used it last night for the first time on my wife's Accord. While the end results are pretty much as promised- no hand drying, no spots, it's performance was pretty frustrating until the very end. My experience included:

very low volume of suds. I felt like I was cleaning with clear water most of the time. I went through the entire bottle of solution on 1 vehicle (remember it was my Accord, not my Ridgeline I was washing).

poor fitting hose attachments. I was as wet as the car by the time I was finished.

an overall clumsy application tool. Nothing beats the old mit and bucket of suds routine.

Now the question, what do you think would happen if I wash the car the old fashioned way and simply do the rinse cycle using Mr. Clean? Will I get the same spotless results?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
To answer your question first, in my opinion, yes. The trick is to displace the hard water with the deionized / soft water. I do suspect that there may be a problem with your unit. Mine does not leak at all and find it very easy to handle. Due to our very hard water, I do go through more of their soap solution than I expected but nearly as much as you do. When I wash my wifes Accord, I use about 1/3 of the solution that the nozzle tank holds. The Ridgeline takes about 2/3 of a tank. I am sure to keep the entire vehicle very wet and very thoroughly rinsed during the entire wash process. At the very end, I spray thoroughly with the filtered rinse. I still dry with the microfiber towles, although it is much faster and easier. The results are spotless on my black Ridgeline. I think that using the Mr. Clean system on my wifes Accord has reduced the semi permanent water spots on the finish. Next week I am going to use a clay bar on her car and finish with the Pinacle over Klasse system from www.properautocare.com. I am doing the Ridgeline today.

·
Registered
224 Posts
dnvrfan, I too got the shower effect from the Mr. Clean dispenser on my first try. Finally got everything working well after using a pair of pliers to tighten down the two pieces that are closest to the hose, and replacing the washer in the end of my hose itself. I was concerned I'd break the connector using the pliers, but it held up well. Other than that, I've been real pleased with it. Have probably done 10 or so washes with it now.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
denvrfan said:
Now the question, what do you think would happen if I wash the car the old fashioned way and simply do the rinse cycle using Mr. Clean? Will I get the same spotless results?
That's the way I do it and the filter works great. ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah...that's what I was thinking too. So probably if you had a filter only type product it would be just as good...no? They make filter systems for washing boats, but they are large stationary type systems-they are not at the hose end.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for the input. I just finished waxing my wife's Accord, getting a better look at the finished Mr. Clean product. I found a couple of minor spots on the sunroof. Otherwise, it worked as advertised. I'm going to try the rinse-only approach on my Ridgeline this weekend. We need a little rain around here so I feature washing and waxing both Hondas is sure to bring monsoons to Virginia. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts