Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my truck that the mud flaps on the front have sort of a flat face tire side and the rear ones are kind of cup shaped and can trap/hold mud. I looked at the others that were mounted @ the dealership and they were all this way. Has anyone else noticed this? I was just wondering if it was normal, I can post a couple pics if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
This is normal and mighty curious to me. I don't know why they were designed concave to cake with mud. That was my immediate thought when I saw the difference between front and back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is strange, at first I thought the dealership forgot to put the "cover" on the rear or something but when I looked at the front it is all one molded piece.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My thought is the front is smooth for the slush etc. to slide off so it does not build up where the wheel would hit while turning. In the rear it does not really matter. Probably a little cheaper to make and maximizes the profit on the accessory side.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Keep the inside surface treated with 303 Protectant, Lexol or something like Armorall (I won't use that stuff anymore) so that snow and slush won't stick to it so easily. It doesn't prevent the buildup but it does allow the buildup to release easier.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm just mad that Honda doesn't make the flaps on all 4 tires a standard thing - IMO the RL looks goofy with only the front flaps. As for the rears with the cupping, that is weird, I just figured it was something an engineer didn't think about when designing. I contemplated cutting the bottom "cup" portion off so that the mud/snow/slush wouldn't build up.

UH - nice call on the 303 Protectant.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Keep the inside surface treated with 303 Protectant, Lexol or something like Armorall (I won't use that stuff anymore) so that snow and slush won't stick to it so easily. It doesn't prevent the buildup but it does allow the buildup to release easier.
U-H, What a great idea! I don't have the problem with snow and slush but maybe itwill help with mud also. This has been an issue with me on the poor design from day one. I'll try the 303 (another great product I learned about on the ROC forums) on them tonight!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the drive wheels being up front vs. the part time rear?

Same way on our '05 Pilot.

TL

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
tlaudio said:
Maybe it has something to do with the drive wheels being up front vs. the part time rear?

Same way on our '05 Pilot.

TL
I can assure you that in mud, the rear wheels are throwing just like the front with the VSA off and with either the VTM-4 on or off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
They are flat on the front to prevent buildup which would hit the tires while turning. On the rear it does not matter as they only go up and down.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Has any member had the rear mud flaps load up with mud and or snow?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Those clever Honda engineers designed them that way on purpose. When they load up with snow, the snow protects them from salt and non-skid grit. They will still be pretty when the snow melts off! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I found I had snow in the front flaps but not the rear flaps when I went to a car wash a few days ago to knock off some of the salt on my truck. Now I have been to a car wash twice in one week and missed my opportunity for a free one by one day! Now I know they give free ones on birthdays so I will have to make sure I go there next year.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Now I know they give free ones on birthdays so I will have to make sure I go there next year.
Your birthday or the RL? :)

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Ruffles said:
Yes. Mine load up with snow quite often.
If you coat the inside of the mud flap with car wax will that help make it non-stick?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My mud flaps are the same, and the back mud flaps are a lot harder to keep clean. Mud really builds up on the back flaps. It protects the lower back panel,but it is high maintainence.:)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Webwader said:
Your birthday or the RL? :)
I don't think they would accept the birthday of my Ridgeline but then it obviously isn't a year old yet.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
5S Dude said:
Has any member had the rear mud flaps load up with mud and or snow?
Mud, Mud and more mud! I am going to try the suggestion that U-H made about spraying the face of the flaps with 303 protectant. I have to spend alot of extra time and quarters at the car wash when I am coming in from the country so I don't cover my garage floor with the mud falling off the flaps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts