Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Since the Spring of 2018, I have been experiencing a noise while driving with my 2G.

To me, it sounds like a muffled jackhammer (drrr drrrr drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) that lasts between 1-2 seconds and sometimes 10 - 20 seconds. I don't feel any vibration associated with the noise. It seems to occur at all range of speeds. It isn't continuous, but occurs frequently. It happens with Econ mode on/off, with cruise on/off - basically with any setting on/off or any driving condition. I have especially noticed it driving in the city after accelerating from a light, as well as at a constant highway speed. I have noticed it occurs more frequently when the vehicle is warmed up. In winter, it would take 30 minutes or more until it would occur. In summer, it sometimes occurs soon after starting the truck.

Occasionally, I have noticed the RPM slightly move up and down, as well as the fuel mileage bar increase/decrease and, if on cruise, it will momentarily reduce speed a 1-2 km/hr before returning to set speed. Sometimes, nothing seems to be happening while driving. But, I think it has been affecting the performance of the truck.

I wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar to my issue? I had it to Honda Service countless times - mostly recently for 2 full weeks. The service dept all can hear the noise, doesn't seem to register any date shots, started a Tech Line a long time ago, have tried some things, but don't know the issue. I have brought up the TSB 17-025 and 026 Judder from torque converter lock up clutch and they say it's not that because that has some asscociated vibration.

Have any suggestions? Quite frustrating.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Could it possibly be associated with the AC? The on and off again hammering/clattering and the drop/change in RPMs might be the AC Compressor Clutch as it engages and disengages.

You might want do a test run with the Climate Control off and see if that isolates the noise. It’s worth a try at least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Could it possibly be associated with the AC? The on and off again hammering/clattering and the drop/change in RPMs might be the AC Compressor Clutch as it engages and disengages.

You might want do a test run with the Climate Control off and see if that isolates the noise. It’s worth a try at least.
I tried it with Climate Control off, but it still makes the noise. To me it seems something electronic or mechanical. Service at my Honda thinks it is something loose.

My 2017 has the same noise. I always assumed it was the VCM and ignored it.
Could be the VCM? If I have tunes on, it is mostly blocked out. However, It's quite noticeable and really annoys me. Anyone in my truck asks, "What's that noise?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried it with Climate Control off, but it still makes the noise. To me it seems something electronic or mechanical. Service at my Honda thinks it is something loose.

Could be the VCM? If I have tunes on, it is mostly blocked out. However, It's quite noticeable and really annoys me. Anyone in my truck asks, "What's that noise?"
Hi all,

Since the Spring of 2018, I have been experiencing a noise while driving with my 2G.

To me, it sounds like a muffled jackhammer (drrr drrrr drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) that lasts between 1-2 seconds and sometimes 10 - 20 seconds. I don't feel any vibration associated with the noise. It seems to occur at all range of speeds. It isn't continuous, but occurs frequently. It happens with Econ mode on/off, with cruise on/off - basically with any setting on/off or any driving condition. I have especially noticed it driving in the city after accelerating from a light, as well as at a constant highway speed. I have noticed it occurs more frequently when the vehicle is warmed up. In winter, it would take 30 minutes or more until it would occur. In summer, it sometimes occurs soon after starting the truck.

Occasionally, I have noticed the RPM slightly move up and down, as well as the fuel mileage bar increase/decrease and, if on cruise, it will momentarily reduce speed a 1-2 km/hr before returning to set speed. Sometimes, nothing seems to be happening while driving. But, I think it has been affecting the performance of the truck.

I wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar to my issue? I had it to Honda Service countless times - mostly recently for 2 full weeks. The service dept all can hear the noise, doesn't seem to register any date shots, started a Tech Line a long time ago, have tried some things, but don't know the issue. I have brought up the TSB 17-025 and 026 Judder from torque converter lock up clutch and they say it's not that because that has some asscociated vibration.

Have any suggestions? Quite frustrating.
I have a 2019 RTL-E AWD with 6K miles. I believe I have heard the same noise. The noise in my truck seems to sound like a fuel pump noise coming from outside the front driver's side of the vehicle, maybe around the truck's frame area. It sounds like it is just forward of firewall. I know the fuel pump is in the rear of rhe truck, but I am woundering if a clip of some sort that secures the fuel line to the frame of the truck has come loose and eveytime the fuel pump activates it causes the sleel fuel line to vibrate against the clip and frame. I reported this noise to Honda at the 5K oill change but it did not get fixed because they could not duplicate it problem. I'm still looking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone out there know where and how the fuel line routes from the tank to the motor?
I'd climb under there and take a look but I'm fresh out of shoulder surgery, my doctor and wife feel strongly about not doing so.

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
I don't have this noise (but believe me I have others). With a lift you could easily trace the fuel line yourself. We know from the fuel pump recall that there's an access door under the rear seat directly to the fuel pump. So who's got a buddy who has access to or owns a lift? I mean you can do it with jack stands and all, but it's nowhere near as easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts