Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an exhaust leak where the catalytic converter and the beginning of exhaust pipe meet,i cant figure out how to get it apart and put the new gasket in,it does not have regular nuts and bolts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you are referring to the third cat, right? It's also known as the rear cat since the other two cats are connected right to the exhaust port on the engine block.

The diagram of the third cat in the service manual shows that it has 3 studs on either side (front and back) that have bolts connecting them to the pipe. The front of that cat leads to the J-pipe that goes up to the engine, the back of that cat connects to the pipe that goes to the resonator and the muffler. In most cases, these nuts that hold the two pipes mentioned are in poor shape and need to be cut off. The studs are welded to the cat so they don't move at all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Bogus919 that seems like the only thing that could be done,the nuts look like bullets they are so far gone

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've heard of guys taking it to a muffler shop and getting the cat removed and having the pipe extended a foot. Usually about a $30 fix.

Good luck, I'll have to do something with mine soon as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts