Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 RTL-E, with 32K miles. First set of 3 malfunction lights, ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control Problem), BRAKE SYSTEM, and RDM (Road Departure Mitigation Problem), were later joined by VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist), Trailer Stability Assist, Hill Start Assist System, EPS ( Electric Power Steering Indicator), and finally CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System), plus a scary starting problem.

Here’s the sequence of events. Hooked up my 3000 lb trailer for a 1600 mile trip I’ve taken with the same trailer several times in the RL with no issues. Took a short drive to check electric trailer brakes and QC the load for any shifting. Checked trailer brakes, all good, but within a minute the first series of malfunction lights illuminated (ACC, RDM, and BRAKE PROBLEM). Stopped, unhooked the electrical connector (7-way), went home and dropped the trailer. Checked all the fuses I could associate with the problem, drove RL to auto parts store (10 miles away) with original 3 malfunction lights illuminated to see if it had thrown any codes, but no CEL (Check Engine Light), no codes. The RL would now start with first push of start button, foot not on the brake, no Accessory Mode. On the way home (no trailer attached) all the other lights and malfunction messages listed earlier started popping up and stayed on. Made it home, shut truck down, restarted a few minutes later, only the 3 original lights (ACC, RDM, BRAKE PROBLEM) illuminated. I also discovered that the start circuit had fixed itself .. there was now an accessory mode, and brake had to be depressed to start engine. Dealer is 25 miles away with lots of traffic, decided to have it towed. Tow truck arrived early the next day, moved RL for ease of loading, ALL MALFUNCTION LIGHTS HAD DISAPPEARED, had it towed anyway, these cars record lots of data. Will report back, but don’t expect much other than “cannot duplicate”.

Don’t know if trailer electrical connection, use of brake controller, or towing had anything at all to do with the malfunction lights, but it’s the only thing different before things went bad. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Keep us updated... that's definitely some kind of electrical gremlin. Maybe the start button issue that hit some of the earlier 2G trucks? Maybe the battery is on its way out?

Let us know what they say!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer cleared a code related to a taillight malfunction, test drove it, lights all worked, no problems found, no surprise. Brought the truck home, hooked up trailer, went for a 10 mile test drive, all was well ... until leaving town early the next morning, same 3 early codes popped up (ACC, BRAKE PROBLEM, RDM). Changed vehicles, left town for a week, had 13 hour drive to contemplate problem, mind keeps circulating back to the “taillight code”. Shortly after buying truck 2 years ago I replaced the reflectors in rear bumpers with LEDs and a controller kit that hooks into the taillights. The LEDs have been slowly failing, about 1/4 have failed, and one of the units is cracked. I’m thinking the additional load of the trailer lights exacerbates my LED issue and the Honda computer is throwing a fit. I’ll yank all the add on LED reflector kit out and try again when I make it back home. Will post results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask your dealer to put their master tech on it. The've seen just about everything and you may get more answers and less trips back to the dealer. Yea, I hate traffic too!
Yep, something about having 8 malfunction messages, including the Steering issue, made me afraid of an hour in stop & go traffic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update from OP. Pulled the LED replacements for the rear bumper reflectors out, made no difference, got my first three malfunction codes within a mile, went home with tail between legs .. just “knew” the LEDs I put in the reflector spots were the problem. Malfunction codes cleared within 12 hours, took trailer for a spin without trailer 7way electrical connector plugged in, just to prove to myself that it wasn’t the RL’s problem, there were no malfunction codes. Will replace connector on trailer end and take a quick look for obvious wiring issues, hook trailer up for another spin, if still have problem will get down to wire by wire tracing and testing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever got this problem fixed. I have a 2012 Mdx and when I plug in my curt 4 pin tow harness, I get all the errors messages too. Usually it all clears when I unplug it except for the cmbs stays on.

2019 RTL-E, with 32K miles. First set of 3 malfunction lights, ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control Problem), BRAKE SYSTEM, and RDM (Road Departure Mitigation Problem), were later joined by VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist), Trailer Stability Assist, Hill Start Assist System, EPS ( Electric Power Steering Indicator), and finally CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System), plus a scary starting problem.

Here’s the sequence of events. Hooked up my 3000 lb trailer for a 1600 mile trip I’ve taken with the same trailer several times in the RL with no issues. Took a short drive to check electric trailer brakes and QC the load for any shifting. Checked trailer brakes, all good, but within a minute the first series of malfunction lights illuminated (ACC, RDM, and BRAKE PROBLEM). Stopped, unhooked the electrical connector (7-way), went home and dropped the trailer. Checked all the fuses I could associate with the problem, drove RL to auto parts store (10 miles away) with original 3 malfunction lights illuminated to see if it had thrown any codes, but no CEL (Check Engine Light), no codes. The RL would now start with first push of start button, foot not on the brake, no Accessory Mode. On the way home (no trailer attached) all the other lights and malfunction messages listed earlier started popping up and stayed on. Made it home, shut truck down, restarted a few minutes later, only the 3 original lights (ACC, RDM, BRAKE PROBLEM) illuminated. I also discovered that the start circuit had fixed itself .. there was now an accessory mode, and brake had to be depressed to start engine. Dealer is 25 miles away with lots of traffic, decided to have it towed. Tow truck arrived early the next day, moved RL for ease of loading, ALL MALFUNCTION LIGHTS HAD DISAPPEARED, had it towed anyway, these cars record lots of data. Will report back, but don’t expect much other than “cannot duplicate”.

Don’t know if trailer electrical connection, use of brake controller, or towing had anything at all to do with the malfunction lights, but it’s the only thing different before things went bad. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts