Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand how kinda would like us to organize music on a USB stick.

- Albums
- Playlists
- Artists
- Genres

Have tired folders and dropping all mp3s in the root directory. Still can not understand how its paring the usb stick

has anyone else figured this out?

Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
The base radio plays in file order from what I can tell. Seems like it will not recognize anything on the USB stick in folders. The only with an ipod can you get it to search by folders/categories, but without voice command, that just ends up being alot of button pushing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are saying the base radio will not parse a folder hierarchy at all? If all the music files are in sub-folders it won't play anything?

I load my thumb drives like this:

<artist>/<album>/<file.mp3>

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am trying to understand how kinda would like us to organize music on a USB stick.
- Albums
- Playlists
- Artists
- Genres
Have tired folders and dropping all mp3s in the root directory. Still can not understand how its paring the usb stick
has anyone else figured this out?
Steve
It may be playing them in the order of their "Track #"

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
On the 2013 Pilot it played every song on the USB in random order if selected for random order. It only sees the first 254 items in the root folder and only 255 items in any folder. and it display the album art on the display if the resolution is less than 512x512 pixels.

On the 2013 CR-V it only plays the first 256 songs it sees on the USB drive in random order if selected for random order. It only sees the first 254 items in the root folder and only 255 items in any folder. it does not display album art at all.

I suspect that the 2017 Ridgeline is more like the CR-V for USB.

To play all 6900 songs in random order on the 2013 CR-V, I created 90 directories named 02 to 99 and copied my songs in random order 100 songs at a time to a directory and incremented the directory number by 1. Now all 6900 songs play in random order.

I found no difference in listening quality at the bit rate of 96 as the engine noise and road noise wipe out (and the cheap speakers) wipe out the higher bit rate quality.

I use a 32gb USB formatted with the HP USB formatter as FAT as the Windows formatter seems to not work correctly every time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never rip at less that 256k. That was our policy at the radio station I worked at when we ripped music into the air play computer. Regardless of road noise and cheap speakers, why start out with a degraded audio file?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just managed to get music out of my USB drive this afternoon. So far, I'm just as confused :confused: in understanding how to navigate through the file system. Like dcarwin, I loaded my USB drive as: <artist>/<album>/<file.mp3>

My Toyota RAV4 that I've passed on to my brother had an .MP3 CD player. I could put a ton of songs on an .mp3 disc, and just press the "Folder" button to move to the next artist. It doesn't seem to be so easy in my Ridgeline RTL.

Does anyone know if the Honda CD Player accessory plays compact disks in the .mp3 format? It seems a little pricey, but if it does play .mp3's I may treat myself to one for Christmas!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just managed to get music out of my USB drive this afternoon. So far, I'm just as confused :confused: in understanding how to navigate through the file system. Like dcarwin, I loaded my USB drive as: <artist>/<album>/<file.mp3>

My Toyota RAV4 that I've passed on to my brother had an .MP3 CD player. I could put a ton of songs on an .mp3 disc, and just press the "Folder" button to move to the next artist. It doesn't seem to be so easy in my Ridgeline RTL.

Does anyone know if the Honda CD Player accessory plays compact disks in the .mp3 format? It seems a little pricey, but if it does play .mp3's I may treat myself to one for Christmas!
You can't break it down into folders as far as you did. The honda file system will only read the first folder and then look for songs in the <album> layer. It may be a bunch of work but you need separate all of the songs out of the album folders and put them under <artist> for it to operate normally. I have mine separated by genre only which is a pain to find a certain song but it makes the random shuffle work pretty well. The head unit is certainly a weak point for honda and while they may have upgraded it for the civic, accord, odyssey, etc I get the feeling they will always be 2-3 steps behind the technological 8-ball.

And to answer your question about the CD player, no it does not play MP3 CD's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, I've tried searching around for this particular nit - and can't find much - but did find this thread, so hope its the right spot for the question.

I've got a thumb drive for my 2018 RTL-T set up like suggested above.

<artist>/<album>/<file.mp3>

This works fine *mostly*

The issue I have (not sure if it's just how it is, or something I can't sort out) is if I have multiple artists with multiple albums each, the artist is grayed out and really hard to see when scrolling through the list.

I'd like to be able to see the list of artists, then drill in to pick my album - but can't see it well when driving. It's also a little weird it numbers the folders.

So... Any tips, or just the way it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
The issue I have (not sure if it's just how it is, or something I can't sort out) is if I have multiple artists with multiple albums each, the artist is grayed out and really hard to see when scrolling through the list.

I'd like to be able to see the list of artists, then drill in to pick my album - but can't see it well when driving. It's also a little weird it numbers the folders.

So... Any tips, or just the way it is?
It's a real pain, isn't it?! I can't believe the decisions Honda makes sometimes.

Have a look at these 2 posts, especially the second post, from another thread. The thread is about using voice commands with a USB drive, but it is related to your issue. It shows how to un-gray your folders.
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/161-2g-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation/181233-usb-audio-how-do-i-tell-play-artist-6.html#post2658890
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/161-2g-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation/181233-usb-audio-how-do-i-tell-play-artist-6.html#post2672881

·
Registered
1 Posts
I downloaded the Owner's Manual for my new 2019 RTL-T from the Honda website. It's more comprehensive than the printed version that came with the vehicle. On page 249 there is a list of Song By Voice for USB commands that appears to be tag-aware, allowing selection by artist, album, genre, etc. However, when I look into the list of commands that the system claims to know, it can only Play and List based on directory structure. I contacted Honda Tech Support, and the fellow I talked with agrees with me that the manual says that this feature should be available. Has anyone witnessed this feature on actual hardware?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have my USB flash drive organized by type. I have folders labeled Classical, New_age, and Pop. Each album is in a folder under those three. The album folders have the MP3 files for each song. The system plays them in alphabetical order, first by main folders, so classical with each album in that folder played in order, then new age and those albums, then pop. Each album plays the tracks in order as they were on the CD.

You could label the main folders by artist so all the albums under each would play in alphabetical order. I can play music continuously on a long trip and never touch the entertainment system. I would not hear the same track again until it had played all the albums and started over. I formatted the USB stick as FAT32 on my computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This shouldn't be difficult in this day and age, but my RTS will not paly my USB files. I have a 128GB stick, music organized in folders - <artist>/<album>/song.mp3. So the only content is a folder structure and mp3 files. All mp3 files are standard files (no DRM content). USB is formatted as FAT32. Plays on all my computers fine.

I can't play it in the RL - I just get the message "Unplayable File" when I plug the USB in.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I got a multi-pack of usb sticks off Amazon and plan to put a mix of mp3s on each one. I already have a favorites stick made.

I can make a "favorites" for the wife, a "hard rock" stick, a "Top 40" stick, a "70s"* stick, an "80s"* stick, a "country" stick, etc., to fit whatever mood I'm in. Works much better for me than just sticking 4000 songs on one stick, at least for me.

* why do all the streaming music services break music into whole decades, like 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.? For me, '75 - '85 decade would be perfect, since there was relatively little good music after 1985, and pre-'75 was just too early for my tastes...

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,240 Posts
This shouldn't be difficult in this day and age, but my RTS will not paly my USB files. I have a 128GB stick, music organized in folders - <artist>/<album>/song.mp3. So the only content is a folder structure and mp3 files. All mp3 files are standard files (no DRM content). USB is formatted as FAT32. Plays on all my computers fine.

I can't play it in the RL - I just get the message "Unplayable File" when I plug the USB in.

Any ideas?
FWIW RTL-E with 8" Touchscreen (your RTS may differ):

Using the same organization (root>artist folders>album folders>song tracks) I've got 200+ artists, ~400 albums, ~5000 songtracks on 128GB FAT32 USB; all mp3; all play fine.

If you have ANY file buried in there other than the straight mp3 music files (e.g. weird (hidden?) files installed by a MAC as reported by other MAC users here), the system will hang on that as "unplayable file" - you must 'scrub' all of those off the file list.

Suggest you start with a clean USB, put one track in root and test / debug; then clean the stick and put one artist + album on and test / debug; then clean the stick and load your library.

I use "Song By Voice" (steering wheel button + voice command) on the RTL-E to ask for artist, album, or song; plowing through all that on a screen menu to get what you want to hear just isn't practical IMO, as suggested by @longboat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I got it working. Reformatted/reloaded and it is now working. I've only played with it for a minute or two to make sure it works and first impressions are the interface is terrible. I can't believe Honda would provide something so appalling. I might have to try longboats suggestion and load diffent albums or sets of albums on differnent USB drives and pretend each is like a CD and manually swap them out. Kind of defeats the object of an mp3 player and like going back to the 1980s!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have a few hundred songs on each usb stick. I just grab whatever one I'm in the mood for and let the random shuffle do the rest. If i don't like a song, the arrow button the wheel instantly takes me to the next random song.

If i wanted to play a specific song, i would just go to the bluetooth mode and ask my phone, but i rarely do that anyway... i like to be surprised by what song comes on. I don't think I'd fiddle with the screen even if i had an E trim.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts