Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
69 Posts
I have 5500 songs loaded on 1 USB. The interface seems focused on folder search which is not ideal. But my music is organized by artist/album folders so it seems ok although I haven't played with it much. I don't see any need for multiple sticks?
FYI My 2013 ford has the best interface I have used, using id3 tags rather than folders and ability to search artist album song genre etc, shuffle all or by artist or album, and divided alphabet for speedier searching (a-e, f-l, etc). Much better than my 2017 Mercedes. It's hard to find a good interface.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have 5500 songs loaded on 1 USB. The interface seems focused on folder search which is not ideal. But my music is organized by artist/album folders so it seems ok although I haven't played with it much. I don't see any need for multiple sticks?
FYI My 2013 ford has the best interface I have used, using id3 tags rather than folders and ability to search artist album song genre etc, shuffle all or by artist or album, and divided alphabet for speedier searching (a-e, f-l, etc). Much better than my 2017 Mercedes. It's hard to find a good interface.
I guess it all depends on what you want. Last i checked (over a decade ago), i had somewhere north of 8000 songs. In reality, i typically would listen to fewer than 1000 of them. Of that, less than half i would consider for driving music.

For example, i like Smooth Jazz, but not while I'm driving. I shy away from slower stuff while driving. No Pink Floyd while driving, but you will catch me listening to Led Zep, ZZ Top, early Tom Petty (when Stan Lynch was still the drummer), later Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Foghat, ELO, Dire Straits, Journey, REM, Drivin'n'Cryin, Soul Asylum, etc. as well as a lot of grunge.

A couple hundred songs will get me through twelve hours of driving, and I'm ready for some good ol' radio long before that.

Also have XM Sirius, Pandora, iHeart, etc., so no lack of audible entertainment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a few hundred songs on each usb stick. I just grab whatever one I'm in the mood for and let the random shuffle do the rest. If i don't like a song, the arrow button the wheel instantly takes me to the next random song.
This is exactly what I do. I also have MP3 songs on my phone and can switch over to them if I so desire. Apparently, I can search for artists and songs on CarPlay, but I usually don't do that because I am too busy driving. Randomly played songs that I know I will like always works for me. No commercials, no crappy tunes and the sound is fantastic (at least I am happy with it). While I have it for free, I also have SiriusXM to switch over to, but I won't pay to play.

One thing I have noticed is that when you have a bunch on songs on a stick and try to arrow forward to another random song, there is sometimes a delay, especially if you try to arrow through two or three songs. I can live with that.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Why can't you use separate folders all on one stick instead hub separate sticks?
For me, it's just easier having 2 or 3 sticks laying there vs fiddling around with the H/U. Most of the time, it is just two sticks, one with my favorites and one with the wife's favorites. But we have extra sticks with stuff like Christmas music, or some other mixes we might like from time to time. I do have a lot more music on my phone, so i always have that if i need to play a specific song for someone.

It's just stupid simple to plug in the stick and hit the usb button. Works every time for every track, and starts automatically when i start the truck.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,240 Posts
Why can't you use separate folders all on one stick instead hub separate sticks?
If your RL has the 8" Touchscreen system with "Song By Voice" (SBV) capability and you use that steering-wheel button+voice-command feature rather than the HU menu interface for playback selection, that's practical even for very large music collections. That's what I do and it works great ~99% of the time (~1% the system misunderstands my voice command and I have to re-command). SBV supports commanded playback by artist, album, or song; I've got 200+ artist folders, ~400 album folders, ~5000 songtracks all on one USB stick and SBV works great for me.

If yours has the 5" color audio system lacking SBV capabiity, IMO searching for tunes via the HU menu-interface is a slow, tedious, eyes-off-the-road distraction as described by others above ... exacerbated the larger your music collection is on the currently installed USB stick.

So, RL trim dependent, it's a matter of use-logistics not system physical limitation, AFAIK either system will support all music on one stick (there's bound to be an ultimate indexing limit, I've not found it).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts