Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been at 5% for a few weeks so decided it was time to bring it in. It was calling for a B16 service (oil/filter, tires rotate, rear differential).

It turns out that its been a smidgen over 12K miles and ten months. (Mar 3, 2014/34.4K miles - Jan 5, 2015/46.5K miles). I can't imagine that!

However the best is yet to come. On my prior service they didn't use my provided oil and filter. They caught it and brought me back and I thought all was well. About June I noticed a blue Honda filter on it (I provided a white Purolator) - meaning the mechanic didn't do the work because it would have come out of his pocket. So I called and spoke to the service manager, he said he'd make it right and asked if I wanted to continue or return then and there. I opted to continue and return for the next oil service.

Today I looked him up and reminded him, he said he'd take care of it. Todays bill came to a total of NO CHARGE. I'll be returning.

Kudos to Sam Boswell Honda, Enterprise, AL.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They'll get it eventually.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are you saying you've driven 12k miles since the last service, but that the last service didn't include an oil change, just a filter change?

You should do a UOA.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, during the Mar 2014 service they changed the oil and filter but used their own products. The service writer noticed it when oil and filter were billed and shouldn't have been. As I was still on the lot they brought me back inside to do it over again using my supplied oil and filter. I asked and he said the mechanic would have to pay for the wasted oil and filter and labor. I was unhappy for him ... until about June when I found he still didn't do the work.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
It would seem using a dealership for service is the weak link in your routine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It would seem using a dealership for service is the weak link in your routine.
I appreciate the story. Rollin is right...It confirms several things that are not always obvious.

1. There is still one service manager out there that will honor a promise.
2. That there is no good reason to go to the dealer for oil changes.
3. Choosing to do my own oil change is the only way to be sure it is how I want it.

I might be missing something, but I think the dealer should have given you the first oil change with the Honda supplied parts at NO CHARGE and sent you on your way and let you keep the Purolator filter and oil for your next change along with a coupon for free labor on the next change. This would have been in their and your best interest rather than a second drain and fill which they apparently did not do after they told you they would. If it were me, I would not give them another shot to screw up my truck. Did they keep your original oil and filter from the first time??? That seems....well it just seems crooked. Just my $0.02.

Most dealers use non-certified techs to change oil. They pay them by the hour at minimum wage or just a little bit more, not by the job. Its like Jiffy Lube with a Honda uniform. The oil and filter actually cost them more than the labor. Unfortunately they treated you just like they treat every soccer mom that comes in the place. They do this kind of crap to every customer, you just happened to catch them at it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So in other words your honda filter lasted 12k without failing.....

And p.s. as far as I know the tech never pays. It is almost always build to the shop or in other words "eaten".

My main confusion is how you went 12k miles between oil changes...

i do feel there is something missing....

Timeline.

March 14. oil change done(with honda parts not provided parts) service writer noticed the problem and informed you, and you wanted it corrected?

June 2014. noticed the honda blue oil filter still on the ridge and called the honda dealer. You were asked if you wanted it changed and you opted to just keep going but next service they were going to take care of it.

Jan 2015. oil change due. take to honda and they do it free of charge.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dealerships mostly use "lubies" for oil changes. I would say a little bit better then the guys at those drive thru quick change places but still as new to the game. I know at my work they are watched by managers very closely and if they cant do a simple oil change correct..def don't trust them changing a timing belt. I can say we have never had a car leave without oil like the quick change place down the street lol

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have several comments based on y'alls responses:

When the MM simple calls for oil and filters, rotate tires, etc. I take it to an indy shop that I trust. Tranny and differentials were called for these last two times and for them I'll use the dealer.

Second point is they DID remove the cost of the oil and filter from the March visit, which I didn't catch, they did. Of course once aware I would have expected that. Now they didn't use my oil and filter - even though they told me they did (who lied, the mgr. or the mechanic?) but that service was discounted by that $ amount.

And YES, I went 12K on this oil change without any problems. Maybe that's a tribute to the car or maybe my grandpa driving habits. With all previous autos - up until 5-6 years ago - I religiously lived by the 3K interval. Once oil prices started to rise I went to 4K and eventually 5K. I think my previous RidgeLine intervals were about 9K, but they were at 10 and/or 15%.

STV, yes, your brief timeline synopsis is correct. Now who ate/paid for these mistakes I don't know, just retelling the story as I received it.

From my perspective I came out a winner. Reduced oil change last March and today I received FREE oil and filter, tire rotate and rear end fluids. FREE!

Final thought, they wash/vac the cars they service. It hasn't been this clean since the prior service. And my bad ... they use inmates for this service which I forgot about ... and I left $60 cash above the visor and a KelTec P32 in the radio cubby hole. They were still there when I retrieved my buggy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have several comments based on y'alls responses:

When the MM simple calls for oil and filters, rotate tires, etc. I take it to an indy shop that I trust. Tranny and differentials were called for these last two times and for them I'll use the dealer.

Second point is they DID remove the cost of the oil and filter from the March visit, which I didn't catch, they did. Of course once aware I would have expected that. Now they didn't use my oil and filter - even though they told me they did (who lied, the mgr. or the mechanic?) but that service was discounted by that $ amount.

And YES, I went 12K on this oil change without any problems. Maybe that's a tribute to the car or maybe my grandpa driving habits. With all previous autos - up until 5-6 years ago - I religiously lived by the 3K interval. Once oil prices started to rise I went to 4K and eventually 5K. I think my previous RidgeLine intervals were about 9K, but they were at 10 and/or 15%.

STV, yes, your brief timeline synopsis is correct. Now who ate/paid for these mistakes I don't know, just retelling the story as I received it.

From my perspective I came out a winner. Reduced oil change last March and today I received FREE oil and filter, tire rotate and rear end fluids. FREE!

Final thought, they wash/vac the cars they service. It hasn't been this clean since the prior service. And my bad ... they use inmates for this service which I forgot about ... and I left $60 cash above the visor and a KelTec P32 in the radio cubby hole. They were still there when I retrieved my buggy.
Just curious - How much of the driving was highway? Surpised the 60.00 was still under the visor.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Virtually no interstate driving, some 4 lanes at 65Mph. An equal amount of 2 lanes at 45 & 55. Little stop and go, in-town stuff.

I anticipate/coast to stop lights, ease off from a dead stop. Occasional very light towing.

You know, a grandpa driver.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
grandpa
And my bad ... they use inmates for this service which I forgot about
Any way you may have forgot to reset MM. 12,000 miles is much to long in my book. How many miles do you drive a year. I would change out at least once a year doesn't matter if its 500 miles or 10,000. WOW 12,000 miles its hard to believe, I cant believe it sorry. Well you got your moneys worth out of that last oil change, maybe $40.00. It isn't worth it. How long does that new freebie oil change that you got last. Might want to take advantage of it sooner then 12,000 just sayin and maybe tryin to help. Wonder how much came out when they drained it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MM had to be reset in order to clear the earlier service light and the work orders reflect the date/miles.
I was unaware of the accumulated mileage.
I thought I drove this one 12K annually, but it turned out to be in 10 months.
I do an annual change out the oil on my F250, now approaching 900 miles over 6 months (all pulling).
I too was in disbelief, and I received no negative comments regarding the old drained oil.

I'm not advocating for anyone do this, just reporting what I did. Unlike many here, this gives me faith in the MM; it went 12K without problems - and with the new oil I didn't feel any drivability changes.

YMMV.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just throwing this out there but I'm thinking the real credit would be todays superior lubes running on superior (cleaner) engines. I'm unsure if the filters have improved as much but with the two prior conditions there's less sediments for them to filter out.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Just throwing this out there but I'm thinking the real credit would be todays superior lubes running on superior (cleaner) engines. I'm unsure if the filters have improved as much but with the two prior conditions there's less sediments for them to filter out.
I believe the advancement in lubricants certainly exceeds any filter improvements.
The filter does nothing but to trap solids suspended in the oil. With regular changes and only clean air coming in the cylinders in a properly running engine the amount of particulates should be well within the capability of any quality filter without going to anything exotic.
Of course the quality of the filter in terms of construction is probably more important for reliability.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
If you think about it, the Honda manual recommends an oil filter change ever *other* oil change. That strikes me as a bit odd and I can't bring myself to do that. But the MM takes operating conditions into account in order to determine the OCI. It will vary based on how the vehicle is driven, the operating conditions, etc. So a 12k OCI is within the parameters, per this link:

http://www.rbhonda.com/maintenance-minder-system.htm

I too think it would be interesting to see what a UOA would show on a sample of that used oil.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could easily be mistaken here but I seem to recall back in the 60's oil filters were only changed every other oil change. I suspect the growth of a quick lube industry got us accustomed/believers of a 3K interval and a new filter.

But at only $3-$4, I too have changed them with every oil service. Perhaps I should rethink that; I'm reasonable certain that Honda engineers are smarter than I regarding these needs.

Then I question ... what if I have another 12K interval?

·
Registered
372 Posts
it's been over a year and almost 10-11k miles since I last changed my oil and I'm at 40%. lol Not exactly sure how that happened. I plan to change it soon just cause I don't like going that long without changing my oil.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not pushing an agenda here but that post has got me wondering ... just how common is it to have these big interval numbers? Anyone else care to fess up?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts