Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather bought this awesome bike brand new and eventually sold it to my dad who gave it to me to pass down to my daughter eventually. She's 11 and I thought I'd put some effort into cleaning it up for her for the summer. I stripped it apart, wire brushed as much as I could and gave it a couple coats of Rustoleum and Plasti-Dip. Came out really well. I thought some other Honda owners may appreciate this. :)

I grew up riding this four wheeler and it has been through hell and back. At one point I tried riding across a gravel pit pond which ended up being deeper than I thought. I completely submerged and water logged the bike. After towing it out I set it up on its rear-end for 45 minutes to drain the water out, flipped it back down on all fours, kick started it and have never had so much as a hick-up. Bullet proof bike.

The battery has been dead for 15 odd years but it kick starts every time. Hard to believe it's still going strong after 28 years. Enjoy.

Oh and I haven't changed the oil since around 1990. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Still running. Must be a Honda! :act064:

Great job RidgeDawg88! :act035:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My first ATV was a Kawasaki 200 3 wheeler (green of course). Only thing I didn't like was it didn't have a reverse, but it was light enough that even if in a snow drift you could get off and lift the back end up and carry it around. I put a rear rack on it and it was pretty neat for me in my young-mid teen years in the 80's. It was also the only 3 wheeler (so I was told) to have a differential so you were less likely to tip when turning which after riding several others back then and seen how hard they turned I was glad to have. Even though I'm glad to have my 4x4 ATV with an auto tranny (always hated shifting on the ones before, and the 3 wheeler had a clutch too) I still sometimes miss the green machine.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Did you paint the plastic (fenders)? If so, let me know how it holds up - I have an old (87) TRX125 for the kids and I'd love to freshen it up, just afraid the paint will chip off those fenders as they flex a decent amount...

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
Oh, man... That really brings back memories when I was a kid. It all started with a new Honda XR(?) 50 motorcycle. The only problem I ever remember was one of the transmission gears broke in half (probably because I was a kid without a care or responsibility in the world and abused the snot out of it). Dad fixed it for me. After that came an XL80. I remember being so excited that it had lights and a speedometer! I was frustrated that it topped out around 50 MPH, so it didn't take me long to takeover Dad's XL100 - it would hit a bit over 60! Next came a Fourtrax 125. I felt like a rich kid having reverse and electric start! I rode that until I flipped it and bent the frame. Again, Dad came to the rescue and repaired it for me, but it just wasn't the same. Being a spoiled kid, I refused to drive a wrecked ATV and demanded a new one. Imagine my surprise when he immediately sold it leaving me without wheels!

Eventually, he felt sorry for me and bought me a slightly used 1986 Honda Elite CH150D. At first, I was embarrassed to ride a scooter, but the electric start, liquid-cooled engine with radiator fan, CVT, digital dash, and pop-up headlight were way too cool to pass up. Plus - it would hit almost 70 MPH! This was all back in the 80s before I ever had a driver's license or a job. Of course, gasoline was also $0.80/gallon then. My friends and I could ride all week long on my $5 allowance!

I also remember "borrowing" Dad's Honda Rebel 250 and later Honda Silverwing when the parents were gone. I'm sure seeing a 100 lb., 13 year-old kid cruising around the neighborhood on a Silverwing was quite a sight! I still remember that adrenaline rush like it was yesterday. Whoa! The power... The comfort...

I eventually sold the scooter when I started driving automobiles. It would be 17 years before I bought my first Honda automobile and owned another motorcycle - a new Kawasaki Ninja 250 that I had less than 2 years before it was stolen on a Christmas Eve. I've considered another Ninja 250 or Honda CBR250R, but I'd much rather have [but definitely don't need] a 4-cylinder crotch rocket.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments all! Isn't it fun to take a trip down memory lane?

Did you paint the plastic (fenders)?
I didn't paint the fenders. My dad had repaired the back of both front fenders by riviting an aluminum patch under each on years and years ago. I Plasti-Dipped over the rivits. That's why it has the black square patches on all of the fenders. I did the back ones to match the front so it wouldn't be so obvious. The fenders flex a lot when it's being ridden so I don't expect it to last but we shall see..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any when know where to get carburetor for that thing I have one but the carburetors not on it and every time I looked it up it's only for a 200. And I need a 1984 Honda 250 fourtrax carburetor. Can't seem to find one reasonable anybody can helpe?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a Suzuki Quadrunner 125:

My friend had the Honda version:

We absolutely abused those things. Buried them in mud, sank them in ponds, flipped them over....and they just kept going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts