Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just returned from my first long road trip from SE Missouri into Kansas and back in my RTL-T and thought I'd post my thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc. Let me start by saying I am 65 y/o and have purchased 7 or 8 new vehicles in my lifetime including GM, ford, Honda, and toyotas. I have been strictly a Toyota man for the last 25 years. I like fast cars, boats, etc. (I'm old but not dead), and I drive my vehicles hard but I take very good care of them.

1. First, my mileage stayed around 27-28 mpg with a/c on and on mostly limited access 4 lanes and interstates with a small amount of city driving. The road trip had mostly rolling hills in the northern Ozarks and then north to Leavenworth, Ks (mostly flat). Roads were dry so can't comment about wet driving/braking. Tried eco mode for about 100mi or so and mileage seemed to drop to 25-26mpg so I just switched it off. Didn't like the slow accelerator response in eco.
It is taking me a while to get used to this truck having almost NO engine braking after letting off the accelerator, so I'm having to use more and harder braking than I should. I'm guessing the overdrive 5 and 6th gears...... and possible the cylinder management system are the culprits for this? I'm trying to learn to let off the gas sooner.

2. Cruise control was great, unlike my 09 Highlander Limited. Toyota owners know how crazy their cruise will get when driving on hills.
3. The cabin is the most comfortable, quietest, and it's the best tracking vehicle I've ever owned. :grin: ...... even better than the Hondas of old. Always went where I pointed it with minimal steering/correction required, even on the rolly, off camber turns and wiggles. No vibration at 75mph.... smooth as glass. No rear-end hop on gravel roads like the solid axle trucks. The trip was a little over 6 hrs each way and we arrived rested and NOT stiff. Love the seats and the adjustable arm rest for driver.

4. Nav is a little goofy and not as intuitive as it could be. I really like the speed limit display, very useful on rural roads. As others have said, it's impossible to keep the screen free of fingerprints.
At one point about half way home the nav routed us back on the interstate in the wrong direction after we had exited for a pit stop/coffee break. It had decided for some reason that we needed to go from Missouri back west to Oklahoma and then back into Missouri first ........ a two hundred mile loop. Knew it was wrong so I pulled over and tried to find the option of street-by-street route plan to see what the hell it was thinking, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone here can direct me as to how to do that. I've had this kind of issue with Garmin navs in the past where the nav gets confused as to where you're at, and tries to take you back to your point of origin and then home. The nav is still WAY better than my Highlander, but google maps on my phone is easier and more accurate imho.

5. Visibility is good all around but you do have a small blind spot on the left. I almost squashed a Corolla when merging left at a construction site. I LOVE the right side LaneWatch. The more you drive it, the more uses you find for it.

6. Back seat: Just popped the seats up, threw our luggage on the floor with plenty of room to spare. Love it!!!!

7. Bed/trunk: What can I say? It's one of the big reasons I even considered the Ridgeline.

Anyway, the truck made the trip a great time. 1,100 mi on the odo and I have no complaints or problems so far other than the nav (which I'll get better acquainted with), and the usual complaints of the rear doors.

Randy

·
Registered
371 Posts
I too am around your age and have a RTL-T AWD, you didn't say if yours was a AWD or 2WD, but either way I really like the fuel mileage your vehicle is getting, I hope mine gets close to the same. Good write-up that you posted, glad to hear all is ok and your happy with the purchase.

trainman

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too am around your age and have a RTL-T AWD, you didn't say if yours was a AWD or 2WD, but either way I really like the fuel mileage your vehicle is getting, I hope mine gets close to the same. Good write-up that you posted, glad to hear all is ok and your happy with the purchase.

trainman
It's an AWD. Thanks for the feedback. New here and haven't done my sig yet.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,347 Posts
From a real world fuel mileage standpoint, the consensus on this forum is that the stated fuel economy (in the GenII) by the trip computer is around 2mpg optimistic. Calculate actual fuel mileage "by hand' and compare it the computer and then you will know how accurate the computer is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As with ANY nav unit...do not just blindly rely on it to tell you where to go. Use your own eyes on the road and let the nav assist YOU to where you are at and where you want to go.

I have also found that the ECO button on is just too unresponsive. Have noticed getting better mileage with it off as well. Just general driving we are getting 23mpg and with the eco on it was only 21-21. I drove it home 300 miles from the dealer in eco mode and averaged 25. Have not tried it yet with eco off. But not going to be turning it back on anytime soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From a real world fuel mileage standpoint, the consensus on this forum is that the stated fuel economy (in the GenII) by the trip computer is around 2mpg optimistic. Calculate actual fuel mileage "by hand' and compare it the computer and then you will know how accurate the computer is.
Mine has been reading ~7% too high averaged over ~2500 tracked miles so far in mixed driving. I found fuelly's interface annoying, so I've been using my own spreadsheet on Google Sheets.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, I had read here that the computer's mpg was a little high so I calculated by hand on the first couple of fill-ups and it was within 1mpg. Didn't do it on the return loop. I quit calculating my mpg a few years ago because my Highlander and Camry comp was dead on tank after tank. Spoiled me, I guess. I'll get back into the habit with the RL and see what the real world mpg is compared to comp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might try using fuelly.com to track your mileage - it's free. It's pretty convenient, as you don't need to go to the website to make entries. In addition to adding fill up data on the site, you can text fill up info or use their fill-in app and get a confirming reply immediately, with both the fill up mpg and overall mpg.

You can also compare to other RL's. Right now there are 58 2017's tracking mileage on Fuelly.com, with a combined overall average of 20.99mpg

If you're on the desktop, you can click on the mpg in my sig and it'll jump to fuelly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might try using fuelly.com to track your mileage - it's free. It's pretty convenient, as you don't need to go to the website to make entries. In addition to adding fill up data on the site, you can text fill up info or use their fill-in app and get a confirming reply immediately, with both the fill up mpg and overall mpg.

You can also compare to other RL's. Right now there are 58 2017's tracking mileage on Fuelly.com, with a combined overall average of 20.99mpg

If you're on the desktop, you can click on the mpg in my sig and it'll jump to fuelly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, but I'll stick with my calculator.
Randy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use Fuelly as well, it's an easy app for tracking. I think I've had two or three fill-ups since my last mpg post and I'm still seeing between 1.6 - 1.9 mpg less than the dash reading. One fill-up with mostly city driving was only 1.1 mpg difference but all others closer to 2 mpg. I'm going to reserve judgement until I get over 10k miles on my RTL, but overall I love the truck and the fuel economy discrepancy is the only slight disappointment so far, but it's still very competitive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ridge17. Your review could be my review. I'm loving my RTL AWD. I already owned a lifetime update Garmine so I opted out on the T. Decided against the touch screen in favor of knobs. MPG in mixed driving 28 mpg range so far. However I am a light foot driver. Tried ECO, won't use again. Wasted option as far as I am concerned. I have notices slight vibration when cylinders deactivate. I bumped tire pressure a couple pounds above specs and tell quite a difference in ride and road noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
I recently did a 450 mi round trip and used ECO mode exclusively on the Interstate. It is good for just using in cruising mode and as soon as I hit the button on or off you can tell it switches modes in the engine to the 3 cyl mode. It did improve the gas mileage somewhat and I was able to see 27.2 mpg at around 70mph as my average in 250miles. That was via the dash display of course which as others have mentioned is probably off. But just the fact that it can come up with that on our varying terrain around Pittsburgh up and over the mountains is quite a feat IMO. Inaccurate gauge and all.

Steve M

·
Registered
377 Posts
I recently did a 450 mi round trip and used ECO mode exclusively on the Interstate. It is good for just using in cruising mode and as soon as I hit the button on or off you can tell it switches modes in the engine to the 3 cyl mode. It did improve the gas mileage somewhat and I was able to see 27.2 mpg at around 70mph as my average in 250miles. That was via the dash display of course which as others have mentioned is probably off. But just the fact that it can come up with that on our varying terrain around Pittsburgh up and over the mountains is quite a feat IMO. Inaccurate gauge and all.

Steve M
Drove to Charlottesville at 65 to 75 using CC and Eco.
Hilly terrain, 25.3 MPG 350 mile round trip.
LKA, auto hi beam, and ACC made the night time return drive quite comfortable.
Saw a boatload of deer grazing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ride rougher and noisier, or the opposite?
I don't know about his, but mine came with 40psi in each tire. And tire noise seemed minimal. Checked with my digital gauge and they showed 39psi. So I dropped them down to 36psi on my gauge and it seemed to increase tire noise.:frown: Didn't really increase ride comfort and handling is not quite as sharp, but still very good.

May increase them back up a couple of pounds in a week or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Write-up, Thank You, Got me excited for a long road trip.

Had a 08 Ridgeline for last 6 years and absolutely loved it. Put 161,000 on it and still running like a champ. Just sold it and waiting on my new RTL-E to show up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts