Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my BE at the dealer today. Among other things I wanted them to look at the car play again which as you know does not always work properly. Like many of you my car play would only connect if I plugged the phone in prior to starting the car. If I disconnected the phone it would not connect again unless I shut the car off, plugged in and restarted the car. My plan was to give them another shot then contact Honda care, to my surprise they figured it out. This probably won’t apply to many of you but here is what the problem was. I keep an old iPod with a bunch of music in the center console plugged into the USB port. It works well and I never felt like switching the music to my iphone. The dealer discovered that apparently only one usb can be primary, or something like that. if the phone was plugged in when the car was started it would recognize it and car play worked. If I unplugged the phone it would switch to the one in the console where the iPod was plugged in and wouldn’t recognize the one under the dash for anything except charging the phone etc.

They unplugged the iPod and now I can start the car plug in the phone and the car play connects. I can even unplug the phone and plug the phone back in and the Car play will connect again. I tried this several times and it worked every time.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I learned this last year with my 2018 Honda Fit. In other cars I've had, I've always kept an alternate stash of music on an iPod in the console for stuff that I don't normally listen to (basically my wife's stuff - Spanish/flamenco/latin music, show-tunes/soundtracks, etc. You get the picture...). The iPod in the Fit never kept CarPlay from working when it was plugged in, but I couldn't use the iPod as long as CarPlay was active, so I left the iPod connected all of the time. In my 2020 RTLE, CarPlay would not even start with the iPod connected, so the iPod is now history. I won't give up CarPlay/Google Maps/Waze.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep. Figured this out too. My wife uses the center console to charge her devices. I have to plug in my CarPlay connection first before she can plug in. If not, CarPlay does not start.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep. Figured this out too. My wife uses the center console to charge her devices. I have to plug in my CarPlay connection first before she can plug in. If not, CarPlay does not start.
If you have USB ports in the back, I believe that they are for charging only, and won't interfere with CarPlay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had my BE at the dealer today. Among other things I wanted them to look at the car play again which as you know does not always work properly. Like many of you my car play would only connect if I plugged the phone in prior to starting the car. If I disconnected the phone it would not connect again unless I shut the car off, plugged in and restarted the car. My plan was to give them another shot then contact Honda care, to my surprise they figured it out.
Part of that issue may be the current iOS 13.3. There are major bugs with Apple Play that are supposed to be resolved with the next version 13.3.1 This is happening across many platforms, not just Honda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts