Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is evil; EVIL I tell you!! I wouldn't have done anything to my RL if I never read this forum. Now all I do is think of new things to do to it. Here's what I've done:

-Running Boards
-PIAA Fog Lights
-Front Grill painted black
-Rear Lights blacked out with 3M film
-80w/110w Headlight bulbs (you can't tell from the pictures)

I'm going to get a front tint, completely rip out the stock stereo system, and maybe get the side body protectors. Sorry I didn't have time to give it a wash after I installed the fog lights this weekend. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey, Nice truck. Looks like mine. You should get the RTL rims. They are all over Ebay for cheap. It would look alot better or maybe some nice aftermarket rims. I heard most of the newer BMW rims it. Maybe some 7 series rims or M5 rims without the BMW logos. Might look sexy. IMO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Very nice look. I also like the blacked out look in the tail. Can you give more details on the fogs (make, model, cost, fit, install info)?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Very nice look....chrome bumper trim would look great I bet!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WyoRL said:
I love the look on the taillights. How did you do that? I'm pretty sure blackouts are legal here.
Yes, they're illegal here in CA too, but the lights show really well through the film so I haven't had any problems yet. I got the film at www.stickercity.com. I followed their directions and put over my lights in about 20 minutes. I didn't expect it to come out as good as it did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jch said:
Very nice look. I also like the blacked out look in the tail. Can you give more details on the fogs (make, model, cost, fit, install info)?
The fog lights are PIAA 1400 series. I chose them because they fit well in the grill. I didn't want to cut holes in the bumper for the OEM fog lights and these were pretty easy to install. I took off the front bumber and screwed on the fog lights. Then I ran the switch through a hole in the firewall that another wire was coming out of. It took about 45 minutes total. I paid about $150 for the fog lights.

I eventually do want to get rims for my RL, but I'm going to wait and switch out the stereo first. Hopefully something will catch my eye on this forum or when I'm out and about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dratsab, Thats too cool. Should be a one of a kind. Im considering replacing OEM fog lens somehow to a slightly tinted yellow or even blue. You think thats possible?

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hey dratsab, I love your painted front grill!! Looks just like mine. You've got a great start on the customizing too. Can you post instructions on the 3M film installation you have done on the tailights? Looks really "Darth Vader" from the back view. Bitchen fogs in front too!

BluRidge, I don't know about Florida law, but blue lights in front of any car or truck in California is a bust, A co-worker got his truck impounded for "Impersonating a police vehicle". Weird but true!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
dratsab said:
Wow! I looked at the website and it says that the smoke film reduces rear light output by 35%. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I've noticed that Maryland drivers typically like to hover off my back bumper by about 15 ft at 80mph. They need all the warning they can get that I'm slowin' up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BluRidge said:
Dratsab, Thats too cool. Should be a one of a kind. Im considering replacing OEM fog lens somehow to a slightly tinted yellow or even blue. You think thats possible?
Actually it should be pretty easy. The stock fog lights are just H11 headlights. PIAA (and I'm sure all other light companies) makes after market 4000k lights. That should be a really, really subtle blue color. That would look really good and boost light output a little.

Lingered_I said:
Wow! I looked at the website and it says that the smoke film reduces rear light output by 35%. I'm not sure that's a good thing. I've noticed that Maryland drivers typically like to hover off my back bumper by about 15 ft at 80mph. They need all the warning they can get that I'm slowin' up.
You still have the brake light above the rear window (although I'm getting really tempted to black that out too). I actually bought the 20% black film. I got the 12" bulk roll and it fit just fine. The instructions are here. I actually just completely removed the taillight when I did it because it was a lot easier.

I didn't even think about blacking out the emblems in the back, but I will now. It's weird because I was never really into black cars, but now that I have one, I'm just going with it. I'll try to post pictures of the taillights when I press on the brake during the day.

L

·
0 Posts
She's a black beauty drat.
And...oh..BTW...nice name you chose. Looks better in reverse though.
:D
Enjoy the ride and welcome to the family.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Can you post a pic of how you installed the fog light switch inside the vehicle?

Thanks.

Very nice looking truck.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
dratsab said:
This forum is evil; EVIL I tell you!! I wouldn't have done anything to my RL if I never read this forum. Now all I do is think of new things to do to it. Here's what I've done:

-Running Boards
-PIAA Fog Lights
-Front Grill painted black
-Rear Lights blacked out with 3M film
-80w/110w Headlight bulbs (you can't tell from the pictures)

I'm going to get a front tint, completely rip out the stock stereo system, and maybe get the side body protectors. Sorry I didn't have time to give it a wash after I installed the fog lights this weekend. What do you guys think?

THAT IS CLEAN MAN!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
dratsab, I have a set of PIAA 1400 fog lamps sitting in my garage ready to be installed on the RL. I had it on my previous Honda. Liked them very much as they were brighter than the headlights on my Civic.

A few questions..... did you use the PIAA supplied switch and the wire harness or did you tap into the Ridgeline's fog light wiring?

If you went with the PIAA wiring harness, which grommet in the firewall did you use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mugen1 said:
dratsab, I have a set of PIAA 1400 fog lamps sitting in my garage ready to be installed on the RL. I had it on my previous Honda. Liked them very much as they were brighter than the headlights on my Civic.

A few questions..... did you use the PIAA supplied switch and the wire harness or did you tap into the Ridgeline's fog light wiring?

If you went with the PIAA wiring harness, which grommet in the firewall did you use?
I used the PIAA wiring harness because I just wanted to get them installed quickly. I used the firewall hole right above the accelerator. I'll try to post of a picture of it. It wasn't hard to locate or get through.

I was going to try to tap into the Ridgeline's wiring system, but the stock foglight's wiring harnesses were pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I was hoping to use the wire in the existing main harness and tap into that to avoid going through the firewall. The Honda harness is hella expensive. I don't think the fog light switch is available by itself either - that would have been really nice. I looked at the Honda fog light kit install pdf and it looks simple enough. The PIAA switch is nice too. Just won't blend in with anything in the RL.

Maybe next week. I gotta stop fiddling around with the RL. I've been at it since I bought her a few months ago. Adding accessories and customizing it. I love my RL - love it to death......... I need a shrink.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BLACK OUT!
- Take a heat gun or hair dryer to those rear tail gate emblems and peel them away. Carefull they'll get hot. Roll off the sticky stuff with your finger, use the heat gun to keep it moving. Use some wax cleaner stuff to get the little bits of sticky stuff off. I did mine and love it!
- Can't wait to paint my rims black.
- Going to look into tinting the rear lights thanks to this thread.
CLICK PIC TO ENLARGE

BLACK OUT!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts