Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost me $90 to build, probably can be done for less if you can find the fork locks cheap.

Started with a 55" piece of extruded aluminum. I put it across the two tie-down hooks just under the rear window.

I fastened it down by sandwiching the hook with a bolt and an aluminum plate.

Bolted the Fork Lock to the beam. And thats it.

This is the simplest way I could think of, It takes two bolts to remove, and the bike fits with the tailgate up!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swampler said:
Nice job! Isn't it a pain to take the front wheel off everytime you want to transport the bike? :confused:
Nope, my bike is all quick release, take 30sec to remove it.

Reactions: vjohnso2004

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NKyRidge said:
Or plan B ;)
I was going to mount mine on the floor, but my bar ends you have hit the glass. Can you fit your bike in with the tailgate up?

·
Registered
589 Posts
nope - i have to turn it in a bit, but it help it stay steady. I drove from Cincinnati to Chicago - worked like a charm. I remove the seat and the entire bike is below the roof line...:cool:

i'll take a pic tomorrow ~ going to ride tomororw after work. Today was a run day. I keep the bike in the rear of the cab at times. Fits ok there too and with the front wheel on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey where did you get that bed mat?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i to have made a bike rack off of the upper tie downs. i used an aluminum L channel and bolted the bike mounts to the. got the angle at Home Depot and the mounts at the local bike shop. cost under $60. works like a charm.

locdoc

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did something very similar, except I mounted the beam across the aft end of the bed. I attached some stainless steel clips from a boat store into the mounting holes for the bed extender. The threads are M5x.8, if I recall, so the attach is somewhat spindly, but it works well. I can mount 3 bikes, and still open the trunk most of the way.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Q1000 said:
I was going to mount mine on the floor, but my bar ends you have hit the glass. Can you fit your bike in with the tailgate up?
Thanks to both of you for the posts. They will help me figure out a mounting system.

(I have an old early-90s Haro XC-700 cyclocross bike that's now out of production & was wondering about clearances for the also out of production Scott AT-4 handlebar. Of course, I expect to have to put the tailgate down, since the bike has 700C rather than 26" rims.)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Q1000's rack is sweet. I am going to steal your idea and make one of those for myself. now if someone could devise some sort of quick release type fastener to just drop one of those bars into the bed extender receivers... have some little dime-sized plugs on the end of a Yakima round bar that would just drop in, the way the bed extender does. do you need studded tires on that Ontario mountain bike?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Altamont said:
Q1000's rack is sweet. I am going to steal your idea and make one of those for myself. now if someone could devise some sort of quick release type fastener to just drop one of those bars into the bed extender receivers... have some little dime-sized plugs on the end of a Yakima round bar that would just drop in, the way the bed extender does. do you need studded tires on that Ontario mountain bike?
Can't steal my design its patented I'll take ya to court:p

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here is a not so good pic :eek:

Cannondale SuperV700

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for going off topic, but I noticed that NKYRidge has a bed mat - If you don't mind what kind is it, where did you get it, and what was the cost. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Q1000's bike rack is a work of art. I was about to copy the design but recently found an adjustable, lockable rack at Performance Bikes on sale for $49. Their web site shows the same item for $59. It fits quite nicely just behind the tailgate with two gripper pads that push against the side rails. You can also drill a small hole in each side rail for a set pin that'll make the rack more difficult to steal if it's left in the truck while you're bombing down the trails.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's the rack I got several months ago. The medium frame mtn bikes can travel with tailgateup, but the large frames can't. The road bikes ride in the cabin.

Works for me, but one of the ROCer's has bedrail tracks with cross bars and Thule/Yakima bike racks over a roll-up bed cover. I'd like to do that eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the ideas on putting a bike rack in the bed of the RL. I have been looking for something like this. I'm out to get the mat'ls ot build one myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did something very similar, except I mounted the beam across the aft end of the bed. I attached some stainless steel clips from a boat store into the mounting holes for the bed extender. The threads are M5x.8, if I recall, so the attach is somewhat spindly, but it works well. I can mount 3 bikes, and still open the trunk most of the way.
Post a couple pics of yours when you get a chance? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts