Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created a previous thread about whether to sell my used 2019 RTL (for a profit) and purchase the 2021 model.
Only time will tell, but based on the last few weeks of ownership, it has been an excellent decision.

Features on the 2021 I was initially concerned about, but have turned out to be positives…
  • The 9-speed transmission is far superior to the 6-speed so far, as it is much smoother with no jerkiness. I also like the ability to engine brake when needed using the paddle shifters.
  • The electronic shifter has been a complete non-issue. I got used to it within the first day. I actually prefer it to the 6-speed shifter now, as it takes up less room and is more efficient to operate.
  • The idle stop feature has been surprisingly desirable. I didn’t realize you could control its activation without having to push the button to turn it off. It never comes on in regular driving, unless I want it to (sitting in the school drop-off line, ect.)

There are also unexpected changes/additions to the RTL that I didn’t see listed anywhere before buying…
  • 2-position memory seats/mirrors. This has been extremely useful since my wife often uses the truck.
  • “Bending” guidance lines in reverse. My wife in particular really likes this feature.
  • Additional door lock/unlock settings. With the 2019, I had to manually lock the truck, and the auto unlocking would only operate the driver’s door. The new model will auto lock and unlock all the doors.

There are other meaningful improvements over the 2019 that add value…
  • A center display/head unit that doesn’t look like it came out of a 15 year old vehicle. It is nice to have a larger screen with more modern features/settings.
  • The Honda Sense safety features. Again, this brings the truck into the 21st century, and makes it more appealing for long road trips and when my wife is driving it.
  • Locking tailgate and larger rear door openings.

Had COVID not allowed me to sell my 2019 for more than I paid for it, I would have never upgraded.
But the timing was right and I’m glad I took advantage of the situation.

I have found several sloppy assembly issues, which I was able to easily/quickly fix myself.
We’ll see if there is anything else that I haven’t discovered yet.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
726 Posts
Good to see some positive comments on the audio system. Most comments I read consider it to be "antiquated" (slow response, no wireless AA/Carplay, etc) and poor audio quality.

Completely agree about the previous RTL 5" units - one of the first thing I did was swap for a full size screen aftermarket wireless AA/Carplay head unit with amps/DSP/new speakers/subwoofer. Best $1000 I've spent :).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to see some positive comments on the audio system. Most comments I read consider it to be "antiquated" (slow response, no wireless AA/Carplay, etc) and poor audio quality.
Keep in mind, I'm only comparing the 2021 head unit to the 2019 head unit.
So between the two, the 2021 is a huge improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I created a previous thread about whether to sell my used 2019 RTL (for a profit) and purchase the 2021 model.
Only time will tell, but based on the last few weeks of ownership, it has been an excellent decision.

Features on the 2021 I was initially concerned about, but have turned out to be positives…
  • The 9-speed transmission is far superior to the 6-speed so far, as it is much smoother with no jerkiness. I also like the ability to engine brake when needed using the paddle shifters.
  • The electronic shifter has been a complete non-issue. I got used to it within the first day. I actually prefer it to the 6-speed shifter now, as it takes up less room and is more efficient to operate.
  • The idle stop feature has been surprisingly desirable. I didn’t realize you could control its activation without having to push the button to turn it off. It never comes on in regular driving, unless I want it to (sitting in the school drop-off line, ect.)

There are also unexpected changes/additions to the RTL that I didn’t see listed anywhere before buying…
  • 2-position memory seats/mirrors. This has been extremely useful since my wife often uses the truck.
  • “Bending” guidance lines in reverse. My wife in particular really likes this feature.
  • Additional door lock/unlock settings. With the 2019, I had to manually lock the truck, and the auto unlocking would only operate the driver’s door. The new model will auto lock and unlock all the doors.

• A center display/head unit that doesn’t look like it came out of a 15 year old vehicle. It is nice to have a larger screen with more modern features/settings.
  • The Honda Sense safety features. Again, this brings the truck into the 21st century, and makes it more appealing for long road trips and when my wife is driving it.

Had COVID not allowed me to sell my 2019 for more than I paid for it, I would have never upgraded.

I have found several sloppy assembly issues, which I was able to easily/quickly fix myself.
How did covid affect you being able to sell for more than you paid for it?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did covid affect you being able to sell for more than you paid for it?
COVID caused a tightening of supply and spike in demand for used vehicles, which in turn has driven up used car prices.
Google "used car demand COVID" and you will find lots of articles on the topic.

Carvana bought my 2019 model with 11,000 miles, for nearly $4000 more than I paid for it 1.5 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your RTL, @bluegrass. Thank you for updating the features on the RTL that Honda left off the website.

·
Registered
30 Posts

How do you control the idle stop feature without pushing the button to turn it off? I thought it set to the default position of “on” every time you turned off or on the truck and you had to push the button to turn it off. Is that not right?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't have that feature but I would guess that you can learn to keep it from kicking in if you learn how it works and pay attention to when it does and does not activate.

For example, there must be some kind of threshold with braking involved. It wouldn't make sense for it to activate in situations where you expect to be moving shortly after coming to a stop. I would guess that there is some version of feathering the brakes that keeps it from turning on.

I'm sure someone else with some actual insight will chime in with more info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have that feature but I would guess that you can learn to keep it from kicking in if you learn how it works and pay attention to when it does and does not activate.

For example, there must be some kind of threshold with braking involved. It wouldn't make sense for it to activate in situations where you expect to be moving shortly after coming to a stop. I would guess that there is some version of feathering the brakes that keeps it from turning on.

I'm sure someone else with some actual insight will chime in with more info.
I am asking (quoted) the OP. He stated it can be controlled some way other than I described. If so, I would like to learn about it. I do have the feature and prior to reading the OP’s post was relatively sure I knew how it was turned on and off.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you control the idle stop feature without pushing the button to turn it off? I thought it set to the default position of “on” every time you turned off or on the truck and you had to push the button to turn it off. Is that not right?
Your are correct.
But you can keep the idle stop from activating by not being heavy-footed w
ith the brake pedal.
I've always driven like this, so there hasn't been any adjustment for me.
It will even flash a note in the instrument cluster when I stop that says something along the lines of "To activate idle stop, fully depress brake pedal"

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
124 Posts
My 2020 also has>

1 - 20 of 61 Posts