Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
[
  • The idle stop feature has been surprisingly desirable. I didn’t realize you could control its activation without having to push the button to turn it off. It never comes on in regular driving, unless I want it to (sitting in the school drop-off line, ect.)

Can you explain what you mean by this? I hate that feature. I always press the button before I start driving.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I thought I was a pro in getting idle stop to not activate. Turns out it wasn't working for months. As mentioned above there are many conditions that could cause it not to activate. For me it was winter and probably a weak battery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I created a previous thread about whether to sell my used 2019 RTL (for a profit) and purchase the 2021 model.
Only time will tell, but based on the last few weeks of ownership, it has been an excellent decision.

Features on the 2021 I was initially concerned about, but have turned out to be positives…
  • The 9-speed transmission is far superior to the 6-speed so far, as it is much smoother with no jerkiness. I also like the ability to engine brake when needed using the paddle shifters.
  • The electronic shifter has been a complete non-issue. I got used to it within the first day. I actually prefer it to the 6-speed shifter now, as it takes up less room and is more efficient to operate.
  • The idle stop feature has been surprisingly desirable. I didn’t realize you could control its activation without having to push the button to turn it off. It never comes on in regular driving, unless I want it to (sitting in the school drop-off line, ect.)

There are also unexpected changes/additions to the RTL that I didn’t see listed anywhere before buying…
  • 2-position memory seats/mirrors. This has been extremely useful since my wife often uses the truck.
  • “Bending” guidance lines in reverse. My wife in particular really likes this feature.
  • Additional door lock/unlock settings. With the 2019, I had to manually lock the truck, and the auto unlocking would only operate the driver’s door. The new model will auto lock and unlock all the doors.

There are other meaningful improvements over the 2019 that add value…
  • A center display/head unit that doesn’t look like it came out of a 15 year old vehicle. It is nice to have a larger screen with more modern features/settings.
  • The Honda Sense safety features. Again, this brings the truck into the 21st century, and makes it more appealing for long road trips and when my wife is driving it.
  • Locking tailgate and larger rear door openings.

Had COVID not allowed me to sell my 2019 for more than I paid for it, I would have never upgraded.
But the timing was right and I’m glad I took advantage of the situation.

I have found several sloppy assembly issues, which I was able to easily/quickly fix myself.
We’ll see if there is anything else that I haven’t discovered yet.
You stated:
  • Additional door lock/unlock settings. With the 2019, I had to manually lock the truck, and the auto unlocking would only operate the driver’s door. The new model will auto lock and unlock all the doors.
You must not of have had a 2019 RTL-E, because my 2019 RTL-E does exactly what you say that the 2021 does. I use my auto lock all the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Do you like the infotainment screen on the 2021? I am wondering how it works with native phone navigation, either Google maps or Apple maps. Does the rear cross traffic alert work well and where does the warning show up - the same place as the blind spot monitor alert? Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Do you like the infotainment screen on the 2021? I am wondering how it works with native phone navigation, either Google maps or Apple maps. Does the rear cross traffic alert work well and where does the warning show up - the same place as the blind spot monitor alert? Thanks
I haven't used the infotainment screen for anything other than listening to the radio and customizing settings, so I can't speak to phone navigation.
The RTL model does not come with rear cross traffic alert.
It does have blind spot monitoring.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
I haven't used the infotainment screen for anything other than listening to the radio and customizing settings, so I can't speak to phone navigation.
That’s too bad, I was certain it was listed in the brochure. I figured out my mistake. There was an asterisk (*) in the brochure. I thought it was a speck of dirt. Haha

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is interesting you don't have the cross traffic alert in your 2021 RTL. I wonder if it just hasn't been triggered yet. My 2021 RTL does have the cross traffic alert. I didn't expect it because the website doesn't list it as a feature for the RTL. I was surprised the first time I heard the beeping while reversing with traffic. Later I checked out the window sticker and it does list cross traffic alert. Honda need to update the features on their website!

Does the rear cross traffic alert work well and where does the warning show up - the same place as the blind spot monitor alert?
The warning is a beeping and arrows on the screen showing where the traffic is coming from. Works fine for me. Picked up a cyclist the other day that I hadn't seen yet.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That is interesting you don't have the cross traffic alert in your 2021 RTL. I wonder if it just hasn't been triggered yet. My 2021 RTL does have the cross traffic alert. I didn't expect it because the website doesn't list it as a feature for the RTL. I was surprised the first time I heard the beeping while reversing with traffic. Later I checked out the window sticker and it does list cross traffic alert. Honda need to update the features on their website!
Thank you for chiming in!
I just looked at my window sticker and it does, in fact, show my truck has "Blind Spot Information System w/ Cross Traffic Monitor".

It definitely hasn't been triggered yet in my 400 miles with the truck.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts

The warning is a beeping and arrows on the screen showing where the traffic is coming from. Works fine for me. Picked up a cyclist the other day that I hadn't seen yet.
You made my day, @Bearclaw. I have never liked backing out of parking spaces, so I usually back in if I am able. This will relieve my stress about backing out into traffic. We have that feature on my wife's Outback and it works great.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
218 Posts
What do you mean by that? Just by pressing the brake less hard? Or is there a setting in the menu I haven't found...
Sequential Mode disables Auto Start/Stop, as does the defroster.

I don't have that feature but I would guess that you can learn to keep it from kicking in if you learn how it works and pay attention to when it does and does not activate.

For example, there must be some kind of threshold with braking involved. It wouldn't make sense for it to activate in situations where you expect to be moving shortly after coming to a stop. I would guess that there is some version of feathering the brakes that keeps it from turning on.

I'm sure someone else with some actual insight will chime in with more info.
On my 2020 running the defroster, or being in Sequential (shift) Mode, disables Auto Start/Stop.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,512 Posts
I have a 2019 RTL E and have considered trading because of resale value, but I have had no problems at all with my 2019 so leery to get a 2021 with problems
I feel the same. I could make money on my 2020 RTL-E, but it’s been a good vehicle and my luck I’d get one with problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2020 RTL-E auto start/stop. I leave it enabled. The times it auto stops and I want it to start without removing my foot from the brake, I just shake (or would you call it shimmy) the steering wheel to start the motor. Just motion it left to right enough to feel resistant of the pavement. I assume it turns the engine on to prep the power steering.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts