Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Can anyone confirm that the regular RTL (Not the RTL-E) includes auto lock on walk away? Doesn't list it on the spec page I found for the non-E version. My old sierra had it, and when I switched to a Grand Cherokee it didn't and I always forget to lock my car. Getting an RTL this week and now I'm curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Can anyone confirm that the regular RTL (Not the RTL-E) includes auto lock on walk away? Doesn't list it on the spec page I found for the non-E version. My old sierra had it, and when I switched to a Grand Cherokee it didn't and I always forget to lock my car. Getting an RTL this week and now I'm curious.
Yep, the 2021 RTL has auto lock on walk away. I haven’t enabled mine yet though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just don't walk away with someone still in truck, the alarm is VERY loud.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
218 Posts
Had COVID not allowed me to sell my 2019 for more than I paid for it, I would have never upgraded.
But the timing was right and I’m glad I took advantage of the situation.
As did I when I dropped oil-sucking 2012 Acura AWD TL last March when my broker quoted a trade price I could not refuse. This was when dealers were still stockpiling used inventory, and I got one of the last RTL-Es to leave Alabamy before it shuttered.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Good to see some positive comments on the audio system. Most comments I read consider it to be "antiquated" (slow response, no wireless AA/Carplay, etc) and poor audio quality.

Completely agree about the previous RTL 5" units - one of the first thing I did was swap for a full size screen aftermarket wireless AA/Carplay head unit with amps/DSP/new speakers/subwoofer. Best $1000 I've spent :).
My 2019 RTL has the 5" unit, and I figured I'd replace it....but haven't. A few questions, if you don't mind:

• What make/model headunit?
  • Who installed it - you, a car stereo shop, Best Buy (etc.)?
  • Does the backup camera work right with it, and how about the steering-wheel controls?

TIA for any info. I know there's a lot about this already in the ROC, but you're right here/right now :).

·
Registered
736 Posts
My 2019 RTL has the 5" unit, and I figured I'd replace it....but haven't. A few questions, if you don't mind:

• What make/model headunit?
  • Who installed it - you, a car stereo shop, Best Buy (etc.)?
  • Does the backup camera work right with it, and how about the steering-wheel controls?

TIA for any info. I know there's a lot about this already in the ROC, but you're right here/right now :).
I cannot believe you have not replaced it already. I ripped mine out with barely 500 miles on the truck. Unlike @SeattleR I went with a wired AA/Carplay, but still a Kenwood (I think). I installed mine myself, with the help of a friend, mainly for assistance with pulling out the dashboard parts. It's not hard to do, but you have to have the dash removal tools to do a good clean job. Otherwise you can easily damage your dash. They are pretty cheap and available at most auto parts stores. There are some really great threads here regarding this with tons of photos and wiring diagrams. In fact, I used them to do my install.

You can indeed maintain the backup camera and all steering wheel controls. You can even add a secondary video input (DVD player) source if desired, with multi-zone audio (ie. You can have a monitor(s) in the back with different media in the back seat than what's playing in the front). I have not used this feature. I haven't swapped out my 4 main door speakers, but do plan to soon. I also have the SW amp, but have not yet installed it either. NOTE, you WILL lose your SUB without one, as the factory 5" Color Radio has the SW amp built in. The head unit swap alone was the difference between night and day. Looking forward to hearing @SeattleR's reply.

I regret not going with wireless AA/Airplay and am considering upgrading the HU again to get it.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
726 Posts
Similar to Lexridge, I installed mine myself. I installed new head unit (retaining steering wheel/voice controls and all backup camera views), DSP (mounted behind/above glove box), 4 channel amp and mono amp (mounted behind rear seat). I replaced all speakers/sub and rewired all speakers using 14AWG (I left OEM speaker wiring in, but now unused). Other wiring I did was to run 3AWG from battery to rear seat to power amps. I also added a 10" sub in custom enclosure under rear seat with ability to use that (most of time) or the 8" behind rear seat if I need to remove under-seat enclosure for more space.

I didn't spend a lot on the electronics/speakers (MSRP is approx. $1800 but I managed to get it all for just over $1000), but the sound quality is so much better. I also spent around $400 on parts needed to do the install (harness, speaker cable, RCA cables, etc). My set up is:
  • Head unit Kenwood DMX9707S
  • DSP Dayton Audio DSP-408
  • 4 Channel Amp Kenwood X302-4
  • Subwoofer Amp Kenwood X502-1
  • Subwoofer Kicker CompRT8
  • Front Speakers Infinity Kappa 60csx
  • Under-seat sub: Infinity 1000 sub
Most the info you need is on various threads here, but ask away if you need any help - there are plenty on here with experience of having done this.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
I've not replaced my 5" radio yet, either. However, I came from a stock single-DIN HU on a 2002 Accord, so the 5" felt like a nice upgrade. It actually sounds better at higher volume.

Anywayz, just haven't had a lot of reason to do it yet. Main reason I was going to upgrade was to have Android Auto (maps) and XM radio for the wife. Was going to last February, then Covid hit, so no long-distance travel. If I need mapping, I just use Google Maps on the phone. Pretty content with random tunes off my custom USB sticks.

I was just checking Crutchfield the other day, and the vast majority of head units are now out of stock. You can still get the high-dollar Alpine or one of the cheap BOSS units, but no Pioneer units, and very few Sony and Kenwood units, none that I'd want.

Nobody local does professional installs, so I'd install it myself. Was originally looking at a Sony unit that had a built-in amp for the SW, but not sure that one is even still available.

I figure by the time I get around to installing one, they'll have real knobs again! 😁

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Similar to Lexridge, I installed mine myself. I installed new head unit (retaining steering wheel/voice controls and all backup camera views), DSP (mounted behind/above glove box), 4 channel amp and mono amp (mounted behind rear seat). I replaced all speakers/sub and rewired all speakers using 14AWG (I left OEM speaker wiring in, but now unused). Other wiring I did was to run 3AWG from battery to rear seat to power amps. I also added a 10" sub in custom enclosure under rear seat with ability to use that (most of time) or the 8" behind rear seat if I need to remove under-seat enclosure for more space.

I didn't spend a lot on the electronics/speakers (MSRP is approx. $1800 but I managed to get it all for just over $1000), but the sound quality is so much better. I also spent around $400 on parts needed to do the install (harness, speaker cable, RCA cables, etc). My set up is:
  • Head unit Kenwood DMX9707S
  • DSP Dayton Audio DSP-408
  • 4 Channel Amp Kenwood X302-4
  • Subwoofer Amp Kenwood X502-1
  • Subwoofer Kicker CompRT8
  • Front Speakers Infinity Kappa 60csx
  • Under-seat sub: Infinity 1000 sub
Most the info you need is on various threads here, but ask away if you need any help - there are plenty on here with experience of having done this.

View attachment 412605

View attachment 412606
View attachment 412607
Well it looks fantastic - as seamless as factory, but obviously better.

I haven't installed audio in a vehicle since the late '70s/early '80s - and then not very well - so I'll probably pay someone to do it, but wanted an idea of what works well with the Ridgeline's other features/controls, and also looks good like yours does.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I cannot believe you have not replaced it already. I ripped mine out with barely 500 miles on the truck. Unlike @SeattleR I went with a wired AA/Carplay, but still a Kenwood (I think). I installed mine myself, with the help of a friend, mainly for assistance with pulling out the dashboard parts. It's not hard to do, but you have to have the dash removal tools to do a good clean job. Otherwise you can easily damage your dash. They are pretty cheap and available at most auto parts stores. There are some really great threads here regarding this with tons of photos and wiring diagrams. In fact, I used them to do my install.

You can indeed maintain the backup camera and all steering wheel controls. You can even add a secondary video input (DVD player) source if desired, with multi-zone audio (ie. You can have a monitor(s) in the back with different media in the back seat than what's playing in the front). I have not used this feature. I haven't swapped out my 4 main door speakers, but do plan to soon. I also have the SW amp, but have not yet installed it either. NOTE, you WILL lose your SUB without one, as the factory 5" Color Radio has the SW amp built in. The head unit swap alone was the difference between night and day. Looking forward to hearing @SeattleR's reply.

I regret not going with wireless AA/Airplay and am considering upgrading the HU again to get it.
Thanks for your input/sharing your actual experience - helping me think through it. I'll refer back to these comments when I go to do it....or have it done, more accurately.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've not replaced my 5" radio yet, either. However, I came from a stock single-DIN HU on a 2002 Accord, so the 5" felt like a nice upgrade. It actually sounds better at higher volume.

Anywayz, just haven't had a lot of reason to do it yet. Main reason I was going to upgrade was to have Android Auto (maps) and XM radio for the wife. Was going to last February, then Covid hit, so no long-distance travel. If I need mapping, I just use Google Maps on the phone. Pretty content with random tunes off my custom USB sticks.

I was just checking Crutchfield the other day, and the vast majority of head units are now out of stock. You can still get the high-dollar Alpine or one of the cheap BOSS units, but no Pioneer units, and very few Sony and Kenwood units, none that I'd want.

Nobody local does professional installs, so I'd install it myself. Was originally looking at a Sony unit that had a built-in amp for the SW, but not sure that one is even still available.

I figure by the time I get around to installing one, they'll have real knobs again! 😁
One of the reasons I got the RTL was because of all the complaints about Honda's higher-end head unit - especially that it couldn't be easily replaced, but the 5" could. I do have 21k miles on it already, but most of it has been 50-mile drives with my wife, so there's been conversation. On trips we take the SUV with the XM, etc., and I think that's what I miss most in the Ridgeline. That's not really a new issue, as my 2007 didn't have it either, lol, but for long-term enjoyment I'd like to get it set up nicely.

Appreciate all the input - very helpful.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
One of the reasons I got the RTL was because of all the complaints about Honda's higher-end head unit - especially that it couldn't be easily replaced, but the 5" could. I do have 21k miles on it already, but most of it has been 50-mile drives with my wife, so there's been conversation. On trips we take the SUV with the XM, etc., and I think that's what I miss most in the Ridgeline. That's not really a new issue, as my 2007 didn't have it either, lol, but for long-term enjoyment I'd like to get it set up nicely.

Appreciate all the input - very helpful.
Yes, my wife likes to talk when we are driving. If we have the radio on, it is only to hear the news. We've gone on three or four-hour trips doing nothing but talking.

She does like XM radio. I'm OK with the music stations, but the talk radio and news stations are so heavily-compressed by XM that the people talking sound like robots. I much prefer real terrestrial radio for that stuff.

We have a good local news station that uses real local DJs from 6am to 6pm, a real rarity in today's radio market. If not for that, I'd probably be listening to a lot more music instead of news! :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes, my wife likes to talk when we are driving. If we have the radio on, it is only to hear the news. We've gone on three or four-hour trips doing nothing but talking.

She does like XM radio. I'm OK with the music stations, but the talk radio and news stations are so heavily-compressed by XM that the people talking sound like robots. I much prefer real terrestrial radio for that stuff.

We have a good local news station that uses real local DJs from 6am to 6pm, a real rarity in today's radio market. If not for that, I'd probably be listening to a lot more music instead of news! :D
It's really nice to go a long way on a satellite station that's on a good music streak - mentally smooths out the traffic, etc. :).

Until 2019 had a Jeep GC with a stereo system that included a hard drive, and that was nice too. My wife did the work of loading a lot of good CDs onto the drive, and we'd sometimes switch out of the world noise entirely. Obviously we can access the iPhone music via bluetooth, but we did like the hard drive option.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My wife has an Escape with XM. We live up north in mountainous country. Satellite signal interruptions are frequent, so I prefer to just listen to what we have on the USB drive. It is slowly being loaded with our entire CD collection from the Olden Dayes.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Did you ever get your new Ridgeline, @Willdabeast? I remember it was supposed to arrive at the end of April.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Still waiting.... It keeps getting pushed back. Now we are hoping for Mid / Late May....
Wow, that is too bad. I wonder if it is merely a manufacturing problem. Mine is supposed to arrive in the middle of May, but I also am having my doubts.

Just got off the phone with my dealer. The Ridgeline I ordered is about to be loaded onto a train headed for Colorado, so it is still on schedule.

This video was hard to watch, knowing the Radiant Red is coming via train.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I've been told, they were hopefully they could get one from another dealer, and with the demand no other dealer wants to give up one. Then they said they could do a swap before it leaves the factory for another one, still waiting for that to happen. I have been pretty flexible about color too, just haven't been lucky enough yet. Red, white, or grey RTL or E....

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought a Sport and one of the reasons is so I can replace the head unit. But thanks to COVID, my job has become work from home indefinitely and I have no commute anymore. So I haven't wanted to dump any money in my vehicle that I now go days without driving sometimes.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts