Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first Honda I ever bought. I have been a Chevy/Gmc guy. Over the years I have bought 7 of them. My last was a 2014 GMC 1/2 ton Nice truck overall but the constant recalls were getting aggravating and the time spent at the dealer getting it fixed were super aggravating. I swore off ever buying another one. After looking at my options and what I realistically was going to use a new truck for I settled on the Ridgeline. So far I have been happy with it. The only gripe so far is the MPG on the highway. I initially thought it was doing good @24.5mpg on the highway but now after checking it several times on long rides I am in the 21 mpg range. Other than it's been great.The things I have added are Armor Flex by Undercover, the window rain guards, door ding guards and rear door extensions. I do have the tailgate lock but I have not installed it yet. Mud guard and window tint were dealer installed along with some other stuff. Forgot, I am a new member. Joined a couple of months ago. I haven't posted much but I have been reading a lot. I also bought this truck last October. I wanted the red colored RTL-E but didn't have one and there wasn't one within 500 miles. so I got this one.
20200224_130055.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice, I've got a 19 BE as well.

As far as MPG -- what you're going to find is that the high-end numbers are only achievable on somewhat clear interstates and highways where you're not doing much passing and stopping/going, and also you gotta keep it under 75.

For example, my commute to work everyday is 21 miles each way on 90% interstate --- an yet I get anywhere from 19-20MPG. Why? Because traffic makes it impossible to maintain a good speed. I'm constantly going up to 65 then right back down to 20-30, and over and over again.

Now that being said, I've taken 3 trips since getting it and I was prob getting around 24MPG on the interstate on normal travel conditions.

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Nice looking BE, @Rufus224. How are you liking the ArmorFlex tonneau. Does it have the bedrug material on the underside of the cover like the UltraFlex?

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Welcome to the ROC and great looking truck!

I've noticed a big difference in gas mileage between traveling at 65mph and 75mph. Pickup trucks have a high coefficient of drag, accessories like window deflectors, sunroof deflectors, bug shields, roof racks and even mud flaps all create additional drag. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking BE, @Rufus224. How are you liking the ArmorFlex tonneau. Does it have the bedrug material on the underside of the cover like the UltraFlex?
It does not have any bed rug material on the underside of the cover. It is the same as what's on top. I like it okay. I just drove a 34-mile round trip in a light to moderate rain and there was some water on the bed of the truck. I took a picture.

·
Registered
364 Posts
So far I have been happy with it. The only gripe so far is the MPG on the highway. I initially thought it was doing good @24.5mpg on the highway but now after checking it several times on long rides I am in the 21 mpg range.
To check this, use the ECON button and try a long trip on a flat surface, keeping the speed below 65 mph. Assuming there are no traffic issues or a strong headwind, you should see much better gas mileage.

Also, check your tire pressure. Make sure that all four tires are filled to at least 35 psi when they are cold. Low tire pressure can take off 2-3 mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To check this, use the ECON button and try a long trip on a flat surface, keeping the speed below 65 mph. Assuming there are no traffic issues or a strong headwind, you should see much better gas mileage.

Also, check your tire pressure. Make sure that all four tires are filled to at least 35 psi when they are cold. Low tire pressure can take off 2-3 mpg.
HAHA. Driving 65 is not happening. I drive 5mph over the posted speed limit, always. Tire pressure is fine. I have never used the econ button but I will give it a try.

·
Registered
364 Posts
HAHA. Driving 65 is not happening. I drive 5mph over the posted speed limit, always. Tire pressure is fine. I have never used the econ button but I will give it a try.
Okay, just bear in mind that your energy output increases parabolically with speed; i.e. Energy=1/2*mass*velocity^2, so your power demand and fuel consumption will increase along with it, and that will drive down your fuel economy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts