Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually celebrated and told everyone at work I hit a milestone. They all have confirmed I am off my rocker over this vehicle.
The oil change went fine. Good check-up. The techs/service people were a bit surprised that I was there for my oil change already but 4,800 miles is close enough for me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
ladyridge said:
I actually celebrated and told everyone at work I hit a milestone. They all have confirmed I am off my rocker over this vehicle.
The oil change went fine. Good check-up. The techs/service people were a bit surprised that I was there for my oil change already but 4,800 miles is close enough for me.

What % were you at on the display?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what the tech said it said. The last time I looked at it was 40% this passed Saturday.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sounds like the techs may be able to talk to HAL (the onboard computer) a little better than we can.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gear head?? About 30 years ago. Not anymore. I'll pay the money to have someone else maintain my vehicle.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oil Change Every 3750 Miles

My Honda dealer recommends an oil and filter change at every 3750 miles for the Ridgeline. Seems like a standard recommendation, maybe a bit often but a few quarts of oil and a new filter are pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: Oil Change Every 3750 Miles

ridge4me2 said:
My Honda dealer recommends an oil and filter change at every 3750 miles for the Ridgeline. Seems like a standard recommendation, maybe a bit often but a few quarts of oil and a new filter are pretty cheap insurance.

Don't do it, the dealers just want your money. Honda engineers did not get paid to build a complex system to monitor the oil for nothing. Change it when the dash says you're at 0%, it will save you money and the environment too, anything sooner is a waste.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

vertrkr said:
Don't do it, the dealers just want your money. Honda engineers did not get paid to build a complex system to monitor the oil for nothing. Change it when the dash says you're at 0%, it will save you money and the environment too, anything sooner is a waste.
I thought it only monitored mileage...otherwise, why would you have to reset it? If it actually monitored the condition of the oil, it should be able to reset itself when it detected fresh oil.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am currently at 50% with ~3,800 miles. Based on my conditions and the research I have read, 7,500 miles between changes is what I generally go by, so my Ridgeline appears to be agreeing with me.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
ridge4me2 said:
Does anyone have an idea how many miles at 0%?
I would guess it is 7500.

LadyRidge: 4800/7500 = 64%, she had 33% left. Darn close.
Dnucci: 3800/7500 = 50.7%, he had 50% left. Real darn close.

As I questiond a couple of posts ago, I would bet that the oil change percent is nothing more than a counter to 7500 miles.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I thought I read 7,500 in the manual. Haven't looked in awhile.

Also, in the manual under "Breaking in your new vehicle" it says "Do not change the oil before it's due!" or something like that.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I'm gonna let HAL decide when to change it, and use Mobil1 5-30EP plus a genuine Honda filter.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

swampler said:
I thought it only monitored mileage...otherwise, why would you have to reset it? If it actually monitored the condition of the oil, it should be able to reset itself when it detected fresh oil.

It doesn't sample the oil directly but rather uses complex algorithms to determine when it should be changed based on many factors such as milage, rpms, number of cold starts, number of short trips, etc. All of these will effect the oil life. Based on how you drive it might tell some to change before 5000 miles and others might go beyond 7,500. It's a smart system, let it do the work for you.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I have a question about oil...Honda recommends 5-20w, which doesn't seem to be very common around my area. I've always used 20-50 in my cars. I'm in a mild climate, not too hot, not too cold.

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts