Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how common these are getting around the nation, but this was my first look at Rivian on the road vs. a computer screen.
Sky Car Wheel Cloud Vehicle

465 loop in Indianapolis East.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I saw one yesterday on the way to work in the morning when it was still dark out. I kind of like the "light bar" look from the rear, but not a fan of the front looks.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
194 Posts
The vertical pill-shaped headlights look too juvenile/cartoonish to me. I can deal with the rest of the design. I've seen one here in NE Texas.
I saw my first Rivian on Sunday. I also like the look of the truck, but the headlights just don't work for me. But it was cool to see one finally roaming the wilds near me.

290 Posts
We currently have a Rivian. The headlights took about 10 minutes to grow on me, now it surprises me how offended some are by the light design being other than traditional, and frankly it seems only old men hate them. Women stop me just about every day with the Rivian and tell me they like it. It has happened at the gym, at Costco, the beach, etc. Sorry guys but that has never happened even once with the Ridgeline! Younger guys give the Rivian a thumbs up every single day I drive it, while the Ridgeline seems to get a thumbs up or wave only from other male Honda owners and they are usually at least my age or older. So, perhaps the 'look' of the Rivian only appeals to those under a certain age?

Picture below of when the wife and I picking up the Rivian. Wife says the Rivian is 'sexy', some of her gal pals have told me the same. The only other car the wife has called sexy is her supercharged Miata that we just sold which is the second picture below.

Have not decided yet if we will keep the Rivian. It is crazy fast, 0-60 in three seconds is easy all day long, but not clear to me what we can do for adding more fun to it. We are looking into doing forged wheels for it, but the load rating demands are extreme because of the weight. And if I cannot add fun to something, if I cannot turn wrenches and make it more fun and unique, then I usually grow bored with it in time and sell it.

The other 'new' shop truck we got this year is the low buck Maverick and I am actually having a lot more fun with it than the Rivian. The Ridgeline and Rivian are both massively nicer trucks than the much smaller Maverick, but the plucky little Maverick is a lot of fun to modify and drive and we have been playing with springs and sways and wheels and all sorts of fun with it. Thus, it might happen that we sell the Rivian and keep the Maverick that costs a fraction as much. Most early morning surf sessions are in the Maverick, because I can park it anywhere. Two or three times a week I walk back to the Maverick with my surfboard and someone is waiting to ask me about it. There is enough interest in the Maverick that it gets people of all ages and both male and female asking about it, from a teen boy thinking about his 'first car', to a guy way over 70 that told me that he was just exhausted with parking his 'monster' F250 and wants something 'easy'. Thus, the appeal of the Maverick seems to be the most universal of all, perhaps because everyone loves a little underdog?

The Maverick this morning. Second set of test springs in it, rear sway upgrade too, much like the Rear Sway Bar and Springs we have recently started shipping for Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
22 Honda Ridgeline BE
34 Posts
I've seen several dozen Rivians around here(SLC,UT). I think they are pretty neat, just not willing to throw 100k for one. I know I would get into serious trouble at stop lights blowing off pretty much any vehicle. My RL in "S" mode is more than quick enough for me needs.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We currently have a Rivian. The headlights took about 10 minutes to grow on me, now it surprises me how offended some are by the light design being other than traditional, and frankly it seems only old MEN hold that view. Women stop me just about every day with the Rivian and tell me they think it is 'sexy', they are consistently my age and younger, sometimes too much younger. It has happened at the gym, at Costco, the beach, etc. Sorry guys but that has never happened even once with the Ridgeline! Younger guys give the Rivian a thumbs up every single day I drive it, while the Ridgeline seems to get a thumbs up or wave only from other male Honda owners and they are usually at least my age or older. So, perhaps the 'look' of the Rivian only appeals to those under a certain age?
Call me an old man, (I'm actually a mid 30's female), but it is indeed those headlights that I'm not really a fan of. But I'm far from fashionable and I find most "fashion" to be too eccentric for my tastes. Given the past behavior of some of my female acquaintances, I'd also question the motives of some of those ladies who comment on your truck. lol.

That aside, the concept of the Rivian is for sure interesting. I've always pondered how much of a kick the hay guys would get out of one showing up at the hay barn. They still find the RL trunk amusing when they drop in bags of grain before filling up the bed with hay. A bonus would be I could park in the EV spots in the parking garage at work as well! But alas, its way beyond budget and I'm hoping for at least a quarter million miles on my RL.

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
I bought my first Ridgeline in my early-30s, but I also knowingly and willingly bought a brand new Buick sedan in my 20s (which I chose over an Accord coupe). ;)

My next primary vehicle will likely either be a 3G Ridgeline...or a Tesla Cybertruck - none of the other EV trucks speak to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought my first Ridgeline in my early-30s, but I also knowingly and willingly bought a brand new Buick sedan in my 20s (which I chose over an Accord coupe). ;)
I think I’ve got you beat. I bought a tan Mercury Sable when I was 28. By choice! My coworkers called it my “old farmer’s wife’s car.”

I don’t care for the headlamps on the Rivian either, but I really like the rest of the truck. Especially the size.

I was never a big fan of the pre-refresh G2 Ridgeline front end either. But it wasn’t enough to keep me from getting one.

Steve

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,239 Posts
I may be older, but they look silly to me also. Put the light bar below the peep holes and curve it.:) Now a real truck that looks good, but not "green".

View attachment 430856
What kind of gas mileage? How does it ride? How does it handle? Where do I store my tools? Once you pay for it will you ever take it off road? How's Nissan's reliability?

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,282 Posts
What kind of gas mileage? How does it ride? How does it handle? Where do I store my tools? Once you pay for it will you ever take it off road? How's Nissan's reliability?
Same questions apply to any electric truck also. How far will it tow a trailer? How reliable is it? Do you have charging stations locally, you may, but we don't. Reliability, Nissan is hit or miss now days, but how reliable is this truck? Price wise, I am not taking anything as expensive as a Lightning or Rivian off road, I can buy ATV's or even fantastic side x sides and really go off road.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,239 Posts
Same questions apply to any electric truck also. How far will it tow a trailer? How reliable is it? Do you have charging stations locally, you may, but we don't. Reliability, Nissan is hit or miss now days, but how reliable is this truck? Price wise, I am not taking anything as expensive as a Lightning or Rivian off road, I can buy ATV's or even fantastic side x sides and really go off road.
Agreed but the pictured Nissan isn't going to fit the needs of the typical Rivian buyer (at least one who understands what they are buying) who realizes the limitations of an electric vehicle and finds that these really aren't an issue from them. They want the unique features and "fueling" costs of an electric. . . Who knows yet whether or not owning a Rivian will be a reliable experience or not. . . The Titan might look good but it would probably test out next to the bottom in a full size truck shoot out. Fuelly says the 2021 titan averages 14.5 MPG and reliability is not a strong suit. The pictured off road oriented vehicle would probably do worse in terms of economy and on road handling and noise.
For my uses the bed in the Rivian is simply too short (I don't believe it is 4 feet plus wide either) and the vehicle is way too expensive. The pass through storage and the frunk would probably work as a trunk (Ridgeline) alternative for my tool storage needs. I'm also not ready for a full electric as the vehicle has to double as our long trip vehicle. And I almost forgot, I don't know how the rear seating area configures on the Rivian. The 1/3 - 2/3 flip up seating (Ridgeline) is perfect for my kid and our 100+lb dog.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,282 Posts
The picture is actually a Titan "Warrior" concept truck. It is what Nissan should have offered. Fuelly lists Ridgelines at 20.8, if that's all I got it would be traded in. My Ridgeline averages 25 every day going 75 mph to work. My old Titan averaged 19-20 mpg doing the same drive, but I only had the 7-speed tranny. It never had any problems the 55,000 miles I drove it, but it did get a new engine after it was traded in. Electric is cheaper to "reload" for now--but that will change. I do miss my Titan, 400HP V-8 had a great sound and ran very well, a lot better than most other trucks. Even then, my radio, nav, and Bluetooth was better than my Ridgeline's system. But worrying about an engine change was getting old. Kinda like a leaking Ridgeline, which I don't have.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,646 Posts
I saw my first Rivian on the highway to Breckenridge yesterday. As it drove past me, I thought it looked smaller than I had envisioned it would be. Nonetheless, it is a nice vehicle. The one I saw was white.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts