Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone have the same issue as mine. Today my swing out tailgate not opening. Glad the drop down still work. I did checked the manual to make sure it close properly before I open the tailgate.

I guess I have to bring back my dealer to see why.

· Registered
970 Posts
Re: My first RTL-E issue

Not sure if anyone have the same issue as mine. Today my swing out tailgate not opening. Glad the drop down still work. I did checked the manual to make sure it close properly before I open the tailgate.

I think one other person on here has reported the same or similar and it was an adjustment issue.

I had my 06 lock up the gate completely (the day before a trip!) a few years back. It was a broken plastic clip.

I think the bottom line is "more complex, more failure" as opposed to the brain dead simple but seldom fails standard tailgate. The price one pays for the in-bed trunk, maybe...

· Administrator
24,909 Posts

I often had to yank the tailgate open on my '14 from day one - sometimes with great difficulty. It would stick on the lower, right striker. An apparent alignment issue, you could see where the tailgate mechanism was digging into the striker. I never did anything about it. Neither my '07 nor '10 Ridgelines had this issue. Since the basic tailgate design is similar, it could be that this issue carried over from the G1.

· Registered
970 Posts

Yeah, I think this is mostly an adjustment issue and it is pretty clear the the mechanism is either the same or almost the same as on the G1. I suspect that this can be dealt with by the dealers once they figure out what the proper adjustment methods are. The problem may be that since the G1 was out of production for so long, many people at the factory and the dealers no longer remember what do do to install and adjust properly.

· Registered
581 Posts

Have used it repeatedly and have not had this problem come up.

· Premium Member
166 Posts

When I took delivery of mine, it was sticky when opening sideways, I thought it might just be me not being used to it. A couple days later, it quit working (would still go down), so I took it in to get fixed. The dealer said all three that they had sold stop working. After it was fixed, I asked what was wrong, he said the mechanic thought the design of one of the rods was too long and not engaging correctly, he didn't know how they shortened it though. Still feels kind of funny, but still does open so far.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, i just go back from the dealer. Look like there is a plastic stop that break and prevent it from pushing the latch all the way when it was pressed usind the side swing handle. They have to order the new latched and i will have to go back to the dealer again tomorrow. According to the mech..it the same one they are using on the previous model.

· Premium Member
608 Posts

Ok, i just go back from the dealer. Look like there is a plastic stop that break and prevent it from pushing the latch all the way when it was pressed usind the side swing handle. They have to order the new latched and i will have to go back to the dealer again tomorrow. According to the mech..it the same one they are using on the previous model.
Glad it was a simple diagnosis/fix.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,671 Posts

Hmm. Reminds me of a certain plastic pulley in the rear seat mechanism that Honda FINALLY fixed by going to a pot metal pulley late in the G1 RL production cycle.

· Registered
2,264 Posts

Hmm. Reminds me of a certain plastic pulley in the rear seat mechanism that Honda FINALLY fixed by going to a pot metal pulley late in the G1 RL production cycle.
it reminds me of a certain 3rd door handle (Chevy S-10) that I broke 3 times and finally got the aftermarket one that is metal where the original one is plastic...
Why don't they do it right the first time?

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts

My swing door opener has been spongy from the get-go, but it has never failed to this point. I find a firm squeeze of the handle works every time. And I use the trunk a lot.

Reactions: Sparkland

· Registered
203 Posts

it reminds me of a certain 3rd door handle (Chevy S-10) that I broke 3 times and finally got the aftermarket one that is metal where the original one is plastic...
Why don't they do it right the first time?
Oh, I had forgotten about that. I really loved my 03 S-10. 4.3 v6 with the ZQ8 package. Nice rumble with a Flowmaster muffler.
But, omg, that 3rd door handle... >:|

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Registered
2021, Honda, Ridgeline RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
168 Posts

Just had this happen to mine this past weekend. The dealer I use for service said they just repaired another one with the same issue and ordered the needed parts to fix mine.

· Administrator
24,909 Posts

My drop-down mode has failed once and my swing mode has failed twice in my '17 so far. Pushing on the tailgate and repeatedly pulling the handles as allowed it to operate each time, but the swing handle is "spongy" and doesn't release until the very end of its travel - JUST like the G1 did. It needs an adjustment for sure and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it fails completely. If no parts are required and only an adjustment is necessary, I'll probably take care of it myself to avoid a trip to the dealer.

· Super Moderator
24,671 Posts

I've always thought my G1 swing handle was spongy, but it's never failed, and I use it constantly. I'm sorta surprised it hasn't failed yet, to be honest.

Kinda surprising Honda hasn't taken care of that issue yet.

At least we haven't had any reports of water leaks into the cabin yet. Or not that I've noticed.

· Registered
45 Posts
I have the same tailgate problem. The dealer told me Honda has a recall on it. They attempted to fix it once but after half a day told me another part needed to be ordered. Also, they had to order another USB port for the center console. For some reason it seems to be a tad bit small to plug in a USB cord.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.