Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is not scientific these are my observations. I don’t have exact weights and I relied on the trip computer for millage. However, this is a direct comparison to the G1 which I used to tow the same Travel Trailer to the same exact location the week before.

Comparison 06 Ridgeline with 180,000 + miles on it. With 3rd Party HD Transmission Cooler installed. compared to :
Stock 17 Ridgeline G2 with 60 miles

Cargo. 2 adults and 1 dog with kennel. Blowup paddle board and tandem sit on top Kayak, fire wood. spare tire for trailer. etc...

Travel Trailer: Winnebago 1801FB : Dry weight 3300 lb. + 3 Batteries 2 group 24 batteries on the tongue one enclosed in the back of the camper Group 8D 250AH 180lb battery. 2 25lb propane tanks. Loaded with food and beer + camping chairs and gear. No Water in Tanks. Best guestimation 4100lb

Route: Starting Elevation 6200ft South East of Denver to I -25 South Over the Palmer Divide Elevation 7500ft to Colorado City Elevation 5853 then West to Lake Isabel Elevation 8600ft. Very Hilly Drive. No Major steep Grades all were gradual climbs and descents.

G1 Going to Campsite. Temp 95+ speed 55-65 on I-25 going South. Could not run the A/C on the gradual hills without Temp Gage going up and G1 struggles on the hills to stay 55 let alone speed limit 65. Kept A/C off most of the time. Started overheating just outside of Pueblo Co then A/T Temp light went on. Pulled over took about 20min for light to go off. Didn’t have any more issues the rest of the trip there. Even up the Steeper grade from Colorado City to Lake Isabel. I attribute that to Outside temp dropping quickly to around 75 as we climbed into the mountains. I never have any issues when outside temp is below 80.

G2 Going to Campsite. Temp in 90's a little cooler than week before but still hot. First thing I noticed is that the receiver hitch is higher by almost an inch. I am using a E2 Weight distribution hitch (also on the G1). I dropped the ball 1 hole lower. When I put the TT on the hitch it didn’t drop near as much as it did on the G1. The other thing I notice the Transmission cooler on new G2 is smaller than the original G1 that I removed. It’s really small. But the Radiator is way bigger and front looks like it has way better air flow than the G1. The G2 has so much more power it didn’t feel like I have much on the back. It also didn’t have any trouble keeping up with traffic even on the hills. I tried to take it easy as this being new and all. My plan was to keep it between 55 and 65 mph like the G1. Threw that out the window. THIS THING TOWS LIKE A DREAM compared to the G1. I started out without eco mode noticed I was getting about 11.4-11.6mpg based on trip computer. I wanted to see what eco mode did while towing so I switched to eco around Colorado Springs. The G2 tows in eco mode no problem power is there when you need it and the mpg went up as high as 12.6mpg between Colorado Springs and Colorado City. The other things I noticed while towing in Eco was that the A/C is not as cold, this was a definate plus for me, it was the right amount of cold. The Cruise control in Eco takes it time getting to speed and many times stays 1mpg under. Not a big deal. I found the sweet spot for this weight seemed to be 70mph. On the hills with cruise and eco on the speed would drop from 71 to probably 65 before it would slowly gain speed. If I wanted to I could step on the gas and keep that speed no problem but at a cost to mpg. The gears on this transmission are so much better! A world of difference compared to G1. There was no gear searching it knows when to down shift (I used to do this manually a lot with the G1). I used the D4 going up from Colorado City into the mountains where the grade was steeper. I don’t think I needed to but I wanted to try it. I’m sure I will use it in the Future on the steeper grades here in Colorado.

G1 return trip temp around 85-95. Kept speed around 60 no issues home.

G2 return trip temp around 85-90 Had more confidence in the G2's towing ability. Did not dump and kept the water I added at camp site. So about 1/3 fresh water 2/3 Grey and 2/3 black. I would say a little more than 300lb so around 4400lb on return trip. I also drove a little harder from Colorado City to just south of Colorado Springs about 75 mph still with eco on. Pulled awesome. but I was only getting 11.4mpg so the last 70 miles traffic heavier from Colorado Springs to Denver was only about 55-65MPH so the mpg's went up. The average mpg for entire 330 mile trip was 12mpg according to trip computer.
Overall very happy towing with G2, better mpg more power, no overheating (Temp would move just a sliver on the hills with A/C on). The seats are comfortable including the arm rest. I didn’t think I would like them. I don’t love them but definitely don’t hate them.

Last minute we decided to meet my brother this weekend camping. We will be camping near Jefferson Co and will be going over Kenosha Pass which is a 10,000 ft pass not quite as bad as the IKE Gauntlet which I will be doing in a few weeks. I will let you know how it does.

I apologize for the long post...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Last minute we decided to meet my brother this weekend camping. We will be camping near Jefferson Co and will be going over Kenosha Pass which is a 10,000 ft pass not quite as bad as the IKE Gauntlet which I will be doing in a few weeks. I will let you know how it does.

I apologize for the long post...

No need to apologize -- the post was well-done and very informative.

And please do report back about Kenosha Pass and the Ike Gauntlett. Thanks!

Reactions: Shineaholic

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
If possible maybe weigh the thing at a scale so we all have real world numbers not estimates.

Otherwise Great Post and Awesome looking setup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops!

Page 404 of the owner's manual.
Ooops... I noticed that after my trip when I had time to start reading the manual. When I bought the G2 I asked the dealer if there where any towing restriction until after so many miles. If there where we would have to wait till Monday after camping trip. He assured me I could tow without restrictions even with only 60 miles on it. They will say anything to get you out the door with a new one !!!! Good thing I had no Issues !!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If possible maybe weigh the thing at a scale so we all have real world numbers not estimates.

Otherwise Great Post and Awesome looking setup.
Thanks. I will not have time to get to a scale before we leave for trip this weekend over Kenosha Pass. But I will definitely get all the numbers before I do the IKE Gauntlet in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Oops!

Page 404 of the owner's manual.
Keep in mind the owners manual, in many cases is CYA/Liability.

Read between the lines and they don't want the guy, who is towing a heavy load, and slamming the throttle to the floor trying to do 85MPH whilst towing. Sounds this wasn't the OP's first rodeo and he was being careful. No big deal.

Great to read.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts