Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Ridgeline Touring Edition (Canadian) I bought new, that now has 100km on it. This is our 3rd Honda - previously had a 2004 Civic DX & 2007 Element SC.

Overall the truck works perfectly. No troubles with the engine, transmission or any other "major" components, besides the fact that for a Honda this vehicle is extremely high maintenance. Rear diff needs servicing every 25K according to dealer.

My complaints/suggestions for improvements are the following:

Back up camera - the display sucks! I have the full nav package with the huge screen. I live in Vancouver Canada so not exactly getting 365 days of clear sunshine - I can't see a damn thing in the camera unless I turn the dimmer up full or it's night time. Has been this way since day one, was told this is how it is. My wife has a 2012 Kia Sorento, with a much smaller screen - her camera is infinitely better than the Ridgeline's in terms of clear image. Yes, I've cleaned the lens, it's not the camera, it's the quality of the screen in the cabin that sucks.

In cabin controls lighting - there is no doubt in my mind that the bulbs used in my dash all came out of the discard/defective bin. For exterior lights I've only had to replace 1 headlight in 100k, so I'm good there. But the quality of the cabin lights is the lowest of the low. The following lights all burned out within 40k, and I was told there's no warranty on these, and due to labor it's about $100 per bulb to replace:
- Dimmer switch
- Sunroof controls
- Rear cargo lights
- VTM-4 controller
- Information center controls
- Seat heater lights
- Side mirror controls
- Window lockout button
- Fog lamps: particularly scary. The backlight doesn't work and when I do use them the green light indicating they're turned on goes on and off intermittently. I just don't use them anymore for fear of a fire.

I have more bulbs burned out than I have working. My other two Honda's never suffered anything like this, I dont' remeber a single bulb burning out on the Civic and the Element I had to replace 1 bulb ever. I don't offroad my truck, just a lot of highway miles. I personally feel this list is inexcusable and the only explanation is using the cheapest crap that could be found, with no evaluation of quality whatsoever. Truck is completely stock, no after market electronics causing issues. Fuses are all good, this is all the result of cheap parts. On to the next complaint.

Navigation and climate control screens - again I don't live in the land of the never ending sun, but these screens are never easy to read because there is not enough contrast. As an example, this was the same complaint we had about the radio displays for our other Hondas, very difficult to read displays. This was fixed in the Ridgeline, however no one had the forethought to expand this to the other display screens. Another quality control issue. I can read my radio display just fine, but looking down 2 inches to the climate control, it's too reflective and generally illegible at a quick glance.

Radio aux output - well first I was disappointed to find out that the salesperson lied to me when I asked her if I could stream music via bluetooth similar to my wife's Kia. She told me yes, this was a lie. Next I find out that Honda took a huge step back in 2013 from 2007. My Element at least had the Aux input in the centre console so it was convenient. For some reason 6 years later, they decided that putting it wayyyyy over on the passenger side made sense. Lots of room in that centre console boys, should have made some effort there. Might as well have put it in the back seat or the trunk. On a side note - the stereo system in my 2007 Element was far superior to that of my Ridgeline. Both top of the line models, but quality certainly went downhill when going to the new vehicle.

I fully intend to put 500k on the truck, however the nuisance of wondering if any important dash lights aren't working like a check engine or something equally as important has put a damper on my ownership experience. In the 21st century dash lights should last longer than they did in the 70's & 80's. Sadly this is not the case for me. I could have bought a used 80's truck and had more dash lights working. At some point I'll have to decide if I want to drop $1k to replace $10 in lights, or just offload this truck and get something non-Honda.

It's disappointing that the most expensive Honda I've bought seems to have had the least amount of thought put into it.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,594 Posts
I have a 2013 Ridgeline Touring Edition (Canadian) I bought new, that now has 100km on it. This is our 3rd Honda - previously had a 2004 Civic DX & 2007 Element SC.

Overall the truck works perfectly. No troubles with the engine, transmission or any other "major" components, besides the fact that for a Honda this vehicle is extremely high maintenance. Rear diff needs servicing every 25K according to dealer.

Back up camera - the display sucks! I have the full nav package with the huge screen. I live in Vancouver Canada so not exactly getting 365 days of clear sunshine - I can't see a damn thing in the camera unless I turn the dimmer up full or it's night time. Has been this way since day one, was told this is how it is. My wife has a 2012 Kia Sorento, with a much smaller screen - her camera is infinitely better than the Ridgeline's in terms of clear image. Yes, I've cleaned the lens, it's not the camera, it's the quality of the screen in the cabin that sucks.

In cabin controls lighting - there is no doubt in my mind that the bulbs used in my dash all came out of the discard/defective bin. For exterior lights I've only had to replace 1 headlight in 100k, so I'm good there. But the quality of the cabin lights is the lowest of the low. The following lights all burned out within 40k, and I was told there's no warranty on these, and due to labor it's about $100 per bulb to replace:
- Dimmer switch
- Sunroof controls
- Rear cargo lights
- VTM-4 controller
- Seat heater lights
- Side mirror controls
- Window lockout button
- Fog lamps: particularly scary. The backlight doesn't work and when I do use them the green light indicating they're turned on goes on and off intermittently. I just don't use them anymore for fear of a fire.

I have more bulbs burned out than I have working. My other two Honda's never suffered anything like this, I dont' remeber a single bulb burning out on the Civic and the Element I had to replace 1 bulb ever. I don't offroad my truck, just a lot of highway miles. I personally feel this list is inexcusable and the only explanation is using the cheapest crap that could be found, with no evaluation of quality whatsoever. Truck is completely stock, no after market electronics causing issues. Fuses are all good, this is all the result of cheap parts. On to the next complaint.

Navigation and climate control screens - again I don't live in the land of the never ending sun, but these screens are never easy to read because there is not enough contrast. As an example, this was the same complaint we had about the radio displays for our other Hondas, very difficult to read displays. This was fixed in the Ridgeline, however no one had the forethought to expand this to the other display screens. Another quality control issue. I can read my radio display just fine, but looking down 2 inches to the climate control, it's too reflective and generally illegible at a quick glance.

Radio aux output - well first I was disappointed to find out that the salesperson lied to me when I asked her if I could stream music via bluetooth similar to my wife's Kia. She told me yes, this was a lie. Next I find out that Honda took a huge step back in 2013 from 2007. My Element at least had the Aux input in the centre console so it was convenient. For some reason 6 years later, they decided that putting it wayyyyy over on the passenger side made sense. Lots of room in that centre console boys, should have made some effort there. Might as well have put it in the back seat or the trunk. On a side note - the stereo system in my 2007 Element was far superior to that of my Ridgeline. Both top of the line models, but quality certainly went downhill when going to the new vehicle.

I fully intend to put 500k on the truck, however the nuisance of wondering if any important dash lights aren't working like a check engine or something equally as important has put a damper on my ownership experience. In the 21st century dash lights should last longer than they did in the 70's & 80's. Sadly this is not the case for me. I could have bought a used 80's truck and had more dash lights working. At some point I'll have to decide if I want to drop $1k to replace $10 in lights, or just offload this truck and get something non-Honda.

It's disappointing that the most expensive Honda I've bought seems to have had the least amount of thought put into it.
Replacing lights yourself seems to be the way to go on the Ridge. Its not difficult, just requires a little research and patience. Some have found LED units to replace the conventional bulbs which should end the issue for a good long time. I do agree that it seems inappropriate to have that kind of issue though.

Your warning lights that are part of the bezel (check engine etc) are LED and I don't think that they are likely to fail.

My 06 has 110k miles and 10 years of life. I have about 3 bulbs that have burned out. Sounds like your 12 is fairing much worse.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
p.s. When you turn your key on, you can tell if any of your important lights are burned out or not. But that should never happen.

You can replace all the bulbs yourself for cheap. Its not rocket science.

Those tiny little bulbs suffer from heat. Some vehicles more then others, Reason? No idea. I work for a toyota dealer and always have had hondas..I sell alot of the little interior light bulbs. But it does seem the ridge is the worst from this forum. But my 06...I have only replaced the seat heater bulbs..nothing else.

Aux input location is all about production cost and interference. If you had to run a super long wire down the dash and under the carpet etc... higher chance of interference which would up production cost for insulation etc. You would be surprised how one little design change could change a sticker price by thousands.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts

- Dimmer switch
- Sunroof controls
- Rear cargo lights
- VTM-4 controller
- Seat heater lights
- Side mirror controls
- Window lockout button

I have had Ridgelines (3) since the beginning in the spring of 2005 and have not experienced any of your issues. Guess I have been lucky.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good thing I bought a 2014. :cool:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My 08 has about half the dash bulbs burned out. Must be a Honda thing as my 2006 Highlander has never lost a dash bulb.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I don't believe that I've ever replaced a single inside bulb in any vehicle I've ever owned, and at least one of these vehicles was mine for 14 years.

Thinking about your experience vs mine, I wonder ... maybe it's because I run my dash illumination lights almost blacked out - my preference so outside visibility isn't diminished by the brighter dash lights.

Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Voltage too high? alternator or more likely regulator. Will burn out lights early, LEDs will help but just mask problem. Would only suspect battery if the lights going out are ones you have lit a lot with the engine off.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts
High heat and extreme cold wreak havoc on those tiny halogen bulbs. I bought my '07 used in 2010 and had several of the dash lights out. I replaced all of them with blue LED bulbs that I sourced from Ebay for less than $25. The job to replace them required some dexterity, but it wasn't difficult at all. I've only noticed recently that my climate control knob is randomly turning itself on and off. It's a simple fix, but it doesn't bother me too much. As was stated, all of the switch illumination on the dash is halogen from the factory, but the instrument cluster lighting is all LED and should never be an issue. There are a few threads floating around here showing the type and quantity of LED's needed to do the job. Taking off the dash panel and disconnecting everything is very simple. Just remember to test the LED's before you put everything back together. LED's only work in one configuration. If you test and some don't work, just turn them 180 degrees and you'll be ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts