Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been a forum lurker for quite some time and have been helped by posts many times. Using the forums I did a ton of research trying to understand if I wanted to go big on my tires or not. Long story short, I did. I thought I would share my experience and try to cover/consolidate some of the things that may be scattered in different post.

First Pictures (my experience at the bottom)

before (bone stock):

Here is the new tire comparison before the lift:

After the lift:

After adding the tires:

What I did with the pinch welds (they are painted now to prevent rust)

My experience:

The lift:

I read lots of horror stories about the lift making the truck shake, the ride harsher, and gas mileage drop. I installed the Truxx 2" lift myself and I'm happy to report I had none of that. I was really expecting the harsher ride, but I honestly couldn't tell a difference. Anything I felt almost seemed like a placebo effect. The lift made no difference for me other than the truck felt a lot taller. The 2" made a lot bigger difference than I had originally thought it would. The pictures don't show it, but it was more the feel of standing beside it.

The grinding:
I went to town with a Sawzall and grinder on the pinch welds. On the passenger side you can see where I also cut out a piece of the inner fender that looked like it may have caused issues. Yes the work is ugly. I painted it after the pics to seal it up, and that made it look better. Bottom line, no one has approached me and said "Man what did you do to that truck? Those grinds are so bad!". The modification is pretty hidden and doesn't bother me.

The tires and lift:

I bought BFG Rugged Terrains from Walmart for $116 a piece. They are advertised as a more on road tire that can occasionally go off. I went that direction because I had read good things about the noise and ride. Additionally they are one of the lightest AT tires out there in 265/70/17 and I was really worried about gas mileage.

• In contrast to the lift, the tires made the ride noticeable harsher (and they are only 3 ply). Not unbearable but it definitely feels like a truck now instead of a car.
  • The noise is noticeable around 40mph and is no different at other speeds. They also seemed to get quieter after driving on them for a week (or I got used to it, hard to tell)
  • Gas mile results are below for my entire experience (the past 7 fill ups)and was surprising. It's never been good for my truck, but it didn't get worse. I included the 7% adjustment on the miles in my calculation after the tires were added. I'm sure with a different tire and/or driving habits your results could vary. The truck is noticeably slower to get up to speed, but seems like 75-80mph is a real sweet spot now.
Stock

Lifted:

Lifted and tires:
16.2 (20% more hwy and my wife didn't drive it. lol)

Rubbing:

This was my biggest fear and I am happy to report, I have none whatsoever. 4 weeks so far and not a single rub. However I also have the fender liners removed. If these were in and unmodified, I could see it being a problem. My plan is to try to reform them with a heat gun, but I've seen other guys talk about cinching it down with metal screws and I could see how that would work. Also, my experience may be different than most in that I am using stock wheels. I would really like to put some spacers on but moving the wheels out by 25mm would almost definitely rub.

Overall:

I love the way it turned out and don't have any regrets at this point. It definitely feels more like a truck. Someone even walked up to me a said "nice truck", which has never happened (expect with fellow ridgeliners. lol) in my 3 years of ownership.

I'd love to help by adding more details or photos if there are any questions out there. Just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the same set up as you have, however I did not remove the mud flaps, I get a little rubbing but nothing major, it will not damage the tire or the welds in the truck. I had the 18" OEM wheels and changed them for the 17" OEM wheels just like yours so i could get a smoother ride and there was a little difference, smoother ride offroad and on the highway as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same set up as you have, however I did not remove the mud flaps, I get a little rubbing but nothing major, it will not damage the tire or the welds in the truck. I had the 18" OEM wheels and changed them for the 17" OEM wheels just like yours so i could get a smoother ride and there was a little difference, smoother ride offroad and on the highway as well.
actually after posting today I got the motivation to put the liners and mud flaps on. I used the heat gun and a large socket to form it a lot closer to the fender and as of tonight’s driving (which included some rough hunting roads) no rubbing. It’s crazy to me how many posts I read saying that I would always have rubbing with 265/70/17. Pleasantly surprised.

nice truck and pics! Thinking about blacking out my wheels, nerf, grill, and rack next. Did you do gloss or matte plastidip on your wheels?

·
Registered
46 Posts
actually after posting today I got the motivation to put the liners and mud flaps on. I used the heat gun and a large socket to form it a lot closer to the fender and as of tonight’s driving (which included some rough hunting roads) no rubbing. It’s crazy to me how many posts I read saying that I would always have rubbing with 265/70/17. Pleasantly surprised.

nice truck and pics! Thinking about blacking out my wheels, nerf, grill, and rack next. Did you do gloss or matte plastidip on your wheels?
I know i was surprised also of almost no rubbing without modifying the mud flaps or welds. The finish of the wheels is gloss but they are not all black they are like smoked, my brother in law did the painting and he explained to me but to tell you the thruth i only got the part of "smoked" :) here is a pic where you can see the finish a little better.

Before

After

1 - 4 of 4 Posts