Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting around 8,000 miles I began to notice my mileage going up nicely. The dash display has always been 1.5 mpg high but no more than that and typically showed my normal mix of around town driving to be 23.5 - 24 which at the pump calculations converted to 22 - 23.5. Now I am seeing 26 on the dash and for the third fill up in a row am consistently getting 24.5. I drive it easy and always utilize the econ function. I'm at just over 9,000 miles now and hope this pattern continues. This is not the first engine I have seen get better as it settles in but this is just one more reason I am so happy with my 19 RTL.

Wondering if anyone else has had this experience... if you are going to post that I do not know how to do the math at the pump don't bother as that dog won't hunt {Remember there three kinds of people on this planet... those that can do math and those that can't}. Driving it gently is probably the largest factor in play here but for me it's all good.

(y)

·
Registered
753 Posts
{Remember there three kinds of people on this planet... those that can do math and those that can't}
(y)
I'm right at about 6k, so I'll work reduced gas cost into my household budget a couple months from now :). Seriously, that's very interesting.

Also I am immediately and unapologetically stealing that math quote from you - hilarious. Thanks for your contribution to my smart*ss repertoire.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also keep in mind that we are coming out of winter* and you may not be warming up as much to clear ice from windshield and warm the cabin. I've found a similar change going from summer to winter and back. Mine reads about 22.3 winter and 24.5 summer. Always tends to be about 1.8mpg higher than reality.

* Your winters may vary

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point taken but... I live in Tucson and it has been a mild winter and my RL lives in the garage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your tires have worn some, so they are turning more revolutions to travel 1 mile, compared to new. The ecu counts wheel revolutions to determine miles traveled.

There's also a slight difference in winter and summer blends of gasoline.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll buy {a little bit anyway} the winter/summer blend differential but your tire wear analogy {much like the dog mentioned earlier} just won't hunt.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll buy {a little bit anyway} the winter/summer blend differential but your tire wear analogy {much like the dog mentioned earlier} just won't hunt.

:rolleyes:
Tire diameter affects gas mileage whether you "buy it" or not. It might only be a quarter inch difference, but multiply that by millions of revolutions and it adds up. Is it the sole reason your mpgs went up, I doubt it. It's likely a combination of things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Obviously tire wear could be a factor but it does not address the issue... For 8K miles my mileage was very consistent, then it dramatically improves for the next 1,000+ miles. Did my tires not wear for the first 8K? Why would they now suddenly have a significant impact? Why doesn't everyone get significant, measurable improvement if in fact tires are a major player in this equation?

My observations are subjective to be sure but my driving habits and patterns have not changed. I agree there are probably a number of factors in play here and I will just enjoy the increase in performance/mileage. It will be interesting to see if the trend continues and I will report back after an other thousand miles. As always... Opinions and YMMV.

(y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does the OP live in a Northern Tier state which uses a winter blend of fuel? I know in Minnesota, my MPG always goes down 4-5 MPG during the winter months when the fuel has other additives rather than a summer gasoline. I don't really care now with $2 gas everywhere

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
122 Posts
My mileage isn't improving. From what I'm seeing here, that's to be expected? We only have 3k miles & it's getting 22 mpg running near 70 mixed highway.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Also keep in mind that we are coming out of winter* and you may not be warming up as much to clear ice from windshield and warm the cabin. I've found a similar change going from summer to winter and back. Mine reads about 22.3 winter and 24.5 summer. Always tends to be about 1.8mpg higher than reality.
* Your winters may vary
I found the same thing when the summer blend becomes available in other vehicles. Particularly in my old Suzuki Samurai. I'm pretty sure that the availability of a summer blend is regulated by individual states so google your state and summer blends and you might find out when that date is.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I found the same thing when the summer blend becomes available in other vehicles. Particularly in my old Suzuki Samurai. I'm pretty sure that the availability of a summer blend is regulated by individual states so google your state and summer blends and you might find out when that date is.
I think the refineries start switching over in the March/April time frame, distributors need to be switched to summer blend by May 1, and gas stations have until June 1 to be switched over. It is likely that high-traffic gas stations will be switched over more quickly, or at least have a higher ratio of summer blend in their storage tanks.

Summer blend costs refineries a few cents more per gallon to produce, as it has more additives to make it less volatile. It is supposed to contain about 2% more energy value.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I think the refineries start switching over in the March/April time frame, distributors need to be switched to summer blend by May 1, and gas stations have until June 1 to be switched over.
Do the southern states not do the seasonal changeover since they don't have the Winter temps that the northern tier has?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Do the southern states not do the seasonal changeover since they don't have the Winter temps that the northern tier has?
It occurs in every state in the lower 48, but it's not a simple situation. Timing can vary by state, and California, of course, has to be different.

Here is some light reading:

Aside from blends, with the oil war between Russia and the Saudis, i suspect we'll have cheap oil/gas for a couple years, anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tire diameter affects gas mileage whether you "buy it" or not. It might only be a quarter inch difference, but multiply that by millions of revolutions and it adds up. Is it the sole reason your mpgs went up, I doubt it. It's likely a combination of things.
Can you link to somewhere that states what you said? The only thing I could find was larger tires can increase gas mileage and tires through rolling resistance. Also keeping tire properly inflated helps, but I didn't see anything where tire wear increased fuel economy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It occurs in every state in the lower 48, but it's not a simple situation. Timing can vary by state, and California, of course, has to be different.

Here is some light reading:

Aside from blends, with the oil war between Russia and the Saudis, i suspect we'll have cheap oil/gas for a couple years, anyway.
Well, that was an interesting read. I had no idea that gasoline goes through all those changes through the year like that. I knew diesel did but not gasoline.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 17 G2 I have checked my actual mileage against the reported mileage several times. On mine it is surprisingly accurate on a trip, however the reported mileage will drop a great deal if you are idling in traffic or warming the truck up before you leave but if you measure the gas used vs miles the actual mpg drop isn't nearly as bad as the RL reports. I don't believe the fuel system has flow meter on it so they must get the reported mileage from some combo of air flow from the MAF and TPS together with odometer? My G2 actually did get better mpg as it got a few miles on it. The second summer I had it doing a weekly 200 mile trip to our camp it would average around 2 mpg better than the first. That would have been around 9000 miles in... I don't remember it being a sudden change. I just figured it was just loosening up that did it. I suppose there may be break in oil or a break in period in the programming to pull timing or run richer ??? I have no idea, never asked at the dealer..

I've had 2 G1's and now my G2 has 27K on it... still really happy, my kind of truck for my current lifestyle and hoping to have a G3 someday :) Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts