Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time owner...

2012 Ridgeline (aka Big Cherry) and after the 1st service I plan to change my own oil and filter...
what are the oil options as far as wt...
5W-30 Mobil 1 or reg brands or what?
only 0-20 seems a bit odd...thanx

=====
Have new gray dash mat and some Seat Shields so its looking sharp.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
1st time owner...

2012 Ridgeline (aka Big Cherry) and after the 1st service I plan to change my own oil and filter...

=====
5-20 or 0-20, 0-20 for the newest models is what Honda Recommends, and I would use at least for the first 60K miles. Maybe I would not switch to synthetic until the 2nd oil change. I would use Castrol GTX, Penzoil any brand pretty much, Castrol will be my preference for conventional oil, I am sure others will say go with Mobil 1 synthetic, I use M1, there are many good oils, the thing would be to stick to the same brand and model after the 2nd oil change, I am sure others will say you can use synthetic on your 1st oil change. Filters: Honda ending on A01, wix gold or napa gold, supertech from walmart, STP made by the same co. Do not use the orange brand that starts with an F. Honda filter ending with A02 is no good don't use it

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
1st time owner...

=====
0-20 is what a lot of manufactures are going to for fuel mileage. I'm using 5-20 mobile 1. Full synthetic. The recommended for 2011's is 5-20 but 0-20 is acceptable for all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2012 Sport the dealer uses 0-20 full synthetic. I think they are using Castrol or Penzoil, the dealer used the full synthetic on the first oil change. The dealership claims full synthetic is the factory fill now. For what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Go by the fill cap for oil weight. I also have a bias for Castrol for dino oil. Otherwise, for syn M1 is great, and easy to get.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Another vote for going by the fill cap and/or owner's manual for what weight oil to use.

For warranty coverage, go with a Honda oil filter. The dealers have the A02 filter, but you might be able to find the A01 filter online (it's a better design in many people's opinion)

Chip H.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st change last week..happy camper

After 6,057 miles with 40% left on the computer I decided that since I pull a bass boat 2-3x a week and its so hot...to let the dealer do the 1st oil change ever...
Perhaps I will wait until 20% next time...so far the Ridgeline gets 2-3mpg more w/o towing and over 15mpg towing the 2012 Skeeter TZX180 loaded for a club event so that is a level above the 2007 Silverado trade in....

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
We have it on good authority that factory fill is M1. Anything that meets the spec is good. The MM is not set for synthetic. That being said, I also use M1 5w-20. Not for extended OCIs but rather for superior cold flow characteristics.

Good info on filters above. I am partial to Wix filters (Napa gold). I fail to see how warranty could be affected by using a non-Honda oil filter.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Good info on filters above. I am partial to Wix filters (Napa gold). I fail to see how warranty could be affected by using a non-Honda oil filter.
But dealerships will tell you that, with no substance behind it. I doubt there are many oil filters responsible for engine failures, not even Frams. Filters that were never changed regularly, or not installed correctly, yes.

·
Super Moderator
22,671 Posts
Never had a dealership tell me that. Then again, I've never asked.

Please show me in the warranty coverage where it requires Honda oil filters. (j/k, I know it doesn't exist). ;)

I will have to be convinced that Honda will deny warranty coverage based on not using a Honda oil filter. Just sayin'.

BTW, Honda dealerships are not Honda. Dealerships are merely the local interface between you/me and Honda corporate. True, they have connections the average Joe doesn't have. OTOH, dealerships are not the final word on coverage either.

A better response would come from Honda corporate on warranty coverage using non-Honda branded oil filters... air filters, etc. Honda fluids may be a different story.... tranny, rear diff, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Never had a dealership tell me that. Then again, I've never asked.

Please show me in the warranty coverage where it requires Honda oil filters. (j/k, I know it doesn't exist). ;)

I will have to be convinced that Honda will deny warranty coverage based on not using a Honda oil filter. Just sayin'.

BTW, Honda dealerships are not Honda. Dealerships are merely the local interface between you/me and Honda corporate. True, they have connections the average Joe doesn't have. OTOH, dealerships are not the final word on coverage either.

A better response would come from Honda corporate on warranty coverage using non-Honda branded oil filters... air filters, etc. Honda fluids may be a different story.... tranny, rear diff, etc.
They told me once, and I just smiled. I knew they knew better but pushing their parts was a priority. Whenever I have had them do changes, I always brought my own oil and filters, Honda brand or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Simply stated, ask if the filter is free. If it is not free then it ain't a warranty item, courtesy of the US Magussen-Moss act which stops all that crap. Same goes for the pitch on the ATF, any that meets Honda spec will not affect warranty.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Simply stated, ask if the filter is free. If it is not free then it ain't a warranty item, courtesy of the US Magussen-Moss act which stops all that crap. Same goes for the pitch on the ATF, any that meets Honda spec will not affect warranty.
As far as I know, no 'universal' fluid claims to meet DW-1 which is the latest Honda specified ATF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts