Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pride and joy!!

This is my 14 year old son. He started racing last season with the kart shown here. He has a new kart this season ( no pictures yet ) and has already won checkered flag 2 of 2 points races. He races Jr. Animal III Gold plate on a Coyote Wide Track LE. He does all his own maintenance with a little help from his step-daddies at the track since his Dad bugged out on us a year and a half ago. And ya know...he loves me enough to call me Crew Chief although I usually feel like his Crew CHEF at his age!!
Just a glimpse into my world and what my 'Line tows around.
( always looking for sponsors H & A and anyone else interested. He is self-supporting in his habit..er.. umm.. I mean hobby ) :D
Have a great weekend!!
www.ckra.org

·
Registered
164 Posts
lady

Your son is a very lucky young man, carts are the purest form of racing. As close to F1 as you will ever get and best bang for your buck as far as thrills go.

Thats a pretty cool cart, I was always very tall and could never fit into karts. I raced bikes for over 10years..............still dream of waking up one day and being 5'4". I have a cart track 5 miles from my house.

Safe to say the racing bug will be with him for life, have a safe and winning season and let us know his results.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you gorm!! He is the last of five kids of mine and then I start working on the 6 grand kids who I would love to get into a kart. I raced 1/4 mile a few years ago...ok..a lot of years ago and I think I passed this incurable disease onto him. He makes me proud and has a tireless effort. After his Dad left us in the middle of the two of them getting ready for my sons maiden season, he completed the task on his own and a few sponsors by cutting grass and doing odd jobs to save enough money to buy his first kart in about 30 boxes and a million pieces to finish 5th overall last year with only 7 out of 17 races. He has learned more than racing. He has learned pride, comittment and respect and it has changed him from a bitter little boy after his Dad left to a young man who will bend over backards for ANYONE! Now he's the guy at the track who helps others like they helped him last year. He even gave a away a part to a kid last weekend to help him finish the race and the kid was his competitor. WOW what a guy!!! Although I have found a very important person in my life, we continue to insist he do this for himself. And he does, gladly. Thank you for your interest in his stats. I will be more than happy to share them. ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gormleyflyer2002 said:
lady

Your son is a very lucky young man, carts are the purest form of racing. As close to F1 as you will ever get and best bang for your buck as far as thrills go.

Thats a pretty cool cart, I was always very tall and could never fit into karts. I raced bikes for over 10years..............still dream of waking up one day and being 5'4". I have a cart track 5 miles from my house.

Safe to say the racing bug will be with him for life, have a safe and winning season and let us know his results.
He's 5'9' and his kart fits fine. Maybe you should look into it again. We have guys that are well over 6' ( and well over 14 ) racing. I'm thinking about getting a kart for me next year. :eek:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
There's a local karting family in town (Boivin Racing). One brother raced Tiger Sprints last year and the other was in Junior Outlaw. They've both won their share of races and championships. Whenever they're fundraising in town I drop them some cash.

What your son is learning, about sportsmanship, teamwork, you can't teach him that. Those are things that you have to live to learn. Great job, Mom!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can we tell that we have a very proud Mom here...and rightly so!!! A child can teach us more about ourselves then any doctor or another person. You both deserve a "thumb-up"... ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kudos! Ladyridge you should be proud of yourself as well as your son. Despite the recent adversity in your life, you have your young guy on the "right track". It takes a special person to do that nowadays.
Your son seems to have some talent as well with two wins. So...have you tried driving the kart yourself? I know I would find it hard to resist.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes...I had the opportunity last season and it was phenominal. I didn't want to come off the track. I took it kind of easy because it was someone elses kart but my feet were achin' to floor it and spin out on the corner after the straight. Drew, my son, laughed at me and said, "No Mom, don't even think about it". He didn't want me to race with him. :( Then a bunch of the gang came up to him and said, "Hey Drew, you got one heck of a Crew Chief there!" :eek: Then it was cool that Mom could drive. :p We have a great time. Thanks for your kind words fellas. They mean the world to me.
J.C. :)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gormleyflyer2002 said:
lady

Well..he did it again. Checkered flag. :) 3 out of 3.
Our race club is doing a benefit race August 14th and I'm the chair. We will be having local celebrities driving karts for their favorite charity. We are looking for donations and or sponsors if anyone is interested. You don't have to live in the neighborhood to give to your neighbor. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
You are a proud Momma! Congratulations, he sounds like a great son :)

Hope he does well! I will be working the week after the 14th, so I won't be able to make it to the race, but I bet it would be great fun! (It would be a VERY LONG drive from MN to OH)

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Wow, LadyRidge, You really are one bad azz girl!! Glad to see you are so involved with your teenager! My wife and I take our kids dirtbike riding / camping whenever we can as well. Keep them safe and live life to the max. You ROC girl!! :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
5S Dude said:
Wow, LadyRidge, You really are one bad azz girl!! Glad to see you are so involved with your teenager! My wife and I take our kids dirtbike riding / camping whenever we can as well. Keep them safe and live life to the max. You ROC girl!! :D
Thanks Dude!! :D ( I love that ) lol
Here's my racer after the celebrity smashed his kart. He still won first place. Beat all adults.
What a kid!!! :D :p
Thats my boy and that's MY #24. ( due to being my favorite number and not JG )

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kellcut said:
You are a proud Momma! Congratulations, he sounds like a great son :)

Hope he does well! I will be working the week after the 14th, so I won't be able to make it to the race, but I bet it would be great fun! (It would be a VERY LONG drive from MN to OH)

Good luck!!
Thanks for the attempts Kellcut. We had ablast. Wish you could have been here for it. Maybe next year.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shovelhd said:
There's a local karting family in town (Boivin Racing). One brother raced Tiger Sprints last year and the other was in Junior Outlaw. They've both won their share of races and championships. Whenever they're fundraising in town I drop them some cash.

What your son is learning, about sportsmanship, teamwork, you can't teach him that. Those are things that you have to live to learn. Great job, Mom!!
You're right Chris. And since his kart nose was smashed last weekend, he has learned the meaning of giving ( he really alread knew ) and is auctioning it off for the Fallen Heroes Fund.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
He looks like he's got it a little bit sideways in that shot. I bet he's a darn good driver.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shovelhd said:
He looks like he's got it a little bit sideways in that shot. I bet he's a darn good driver.
I like to think he is. But then again, I'm just the Mom!! :p

·
Registered
311 Posts
ladyridge said:
He's 5'9' and his kart fits fine. Maybe you should look into it again. We have guys that are well over 6' ( and well over 14 ) racing. I'm thinking about getting a kart for me next year. :eek:
He's 5'9" and he's, what, 14? Man, I'm 30 and I'm 5'9. No hope for me to get any taller. :( Great pics by the way. Go speedracer, go!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts