Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greetings from Canada!!!!!

I just did this with my new Sirius radio kit. Worked like a charm, the pics made it super easy, took me maybe 30-40 minutes total and the reception so far is excellent!

Thank you very much for sharing this!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just had my HU and new components installed in my 2006 Ridgeline and I had the installer follow your instructions. I emailed the thread to him. My Sirius radio on my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X791 CD Receiver with SIRIUS SIR-KEN1 works like a champ with no interference at all.

No disgusting wart attached to my paint collecting road grim and scratching the paint when I have to move it.

It was funny the installer was like "well I dont know .... about reception...." to which I replied just do it and I will deal with it. Knowing it works already thanks to your thread.

Thanks for sharing your idea.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I decided to hook up an old XM receiver unit I had in the RL today. I used your hidden antenna write up and pics and it went real smooth. I opted to run the antenna wire low round the sill plates and then under the passenger seat and then up into the middle consol cover. I then mounted the receiver in the "not an ashtray". All wires are hidden nicely ! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been really tired of the North/South cut out of the XM- looking to move the current antenna off the windshield to this "stealth" location. What antenna did you get? and from where? I have the "XM Ready" stock head unit so the receiver is under the seat. Are all the connectors the same for the antenna?

thanks for your work in this post

Drew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have been really tired of the North/South cut out of the XM- looking to move the current antenna off the windshield to this "stealth" location. What antenna did you get? and from where? I have the "XM Ready" stock head unit so the receiver is under the seat. Are all the connectors the same for the antenna?

thanks for your work in this post

Drew
i used an aftermarket xm tuner, not the factory one. Unfortunately, the factory xm radio uses a proprietary (honda) antenna connector, so as far as i know, an aftermarket antenna will not work with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I found out its not really proprietary, its just OLD tech. It uses a 2 pole antenna, todays antennas are single pole.

has anyone else tried this with a new antenna- http://www.ipbytes.com/hybrid/

I did move the current windshield mounted antenna down to the dash as suggested by a Best Buy tech, its a LITTLE better, but not by much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
martinnyc, thanks for the step by step instructions, just did mine in under 25 minutes, wouldn't have ever thought to put it there.

Your instructions were very easy to follow, only problem I encountered was putting the grommet back in after running the wire, didn't seem to want to fit in, I ended up taping it down with some all weather out door tape. Other than that it was a breeze with your instructions...

Cheers, and thanks again...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought an aftermarket Clarion system with GPS and Sirius radio and used this thread to do the stealth install of both GPS and Sirius antenna. Went smoothly just as others have reported. Thanks for the instructions and pic's.

Only problem I am having is getting the headliner popped back up. Going to have to find a diagram of taking out the headliner so I can see what I am dealing with. Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was able to get an OEM XM radio kit for a good price and I was able to use this stealth antenna mounting with it. I removed the trim that is between the roof and the back window which holds the third brake light. I then mounted the OEM antenna underneath the trim. The OEM antenna is too big to mount in the same place as the author of this thread. My placement is about 6 inches to the right. I then routed the wire the same as described in this thread. I get great reception and no one can see my antenna.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread!

·
Registered
23 Posts
martinnyc, you are my new best friend. I have a Sirius unit on the way, and I have been pondering where to mount the antenna. Thanks to you, problem solved! If you ever find yourself in the Philly area, give me a shout. I owe you a beer.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for this wonderful idea. I would not have thought the signal would go through but as this is plastic I could see where it will work. I currently have mine on the roof and look forward to moving it.:act035:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the stealthy idea and the photos of the procedure. It worked really well for me--the installation took about an hour, working slowly and deliberately. My reception is very good. There's no way I would have tackled the installation without your method. Thanks again! :cheerleader:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Getting an Onyx system and will be doing this mod. Did something similar with my Wife's Fit, but had to mount the antenna behind the factory one on the roof...guess I will be looking into trying this on her car as well...super nice and clean. Great details!

DONE!! One of the easiest things to do. And being I suffered a brain injury in 2001, doing most technical things requires additional help most of the time. But being MartinNYC did such a great job by including pics and step by step instructions, even I could do it!:act035:
Thanks again Martin!

·
Registered
88 Posts
So here are some pics from the install today...

[/IMG]

I had the RAM mount from my Lowrance GPS. I used velcro to attach the base of the Delphi Onyx unit to the mount. A small piece of plexi and some velcro helped keep the GPS mount able to use the GPS unit as well as the XM base. I used the coolie/coozie so the XM base would not tip over while driving. Total cost..$17 for the Delphi Onyx..everything else I had.
I like being able to disconnect everything and stow it away.
Comments??

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,024 Posts
Now that is some mangineering if I've ever seen it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I still have my factory HU and sooner than later I will be changing to a better one, presently that is all I listen is my XM. Will I need to change/add/replace the exsting antenna when I get the unit, or will the present one work?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts