Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally got to drive this truck. My dealer had 3 RT-L white, black and silver /w moonroof

The Famous trunk: The Trunk is huge. One 5"3 110 lb blonde fits comfortably in the inbed trunk with room for luggage. My wife tried it out. The tail gate does not lock. To get an idea of the trunk space: pics of wife at www.karynwhittemore.com :D on booking page.

Interior: There is nothing cheap about this interior. The leather was very nice and said nothing but class to me. The powered driver's seat was also very nice. The center console was also spacious and well designed with neat little compartments for your this and thats. I was impressed by the interior. least favorite thing was the interior door pulls (handles).

Test drive: This is a nice riding truck. Tacoma is also a nice ride, but this is probably better. It's very quiet with one exception: Someone mentioned their truck has some wind noise around the wind sheild. I too noticed this (almost like an intermittent whistling sound). I don't think this would be a deal breaker for me though. I dont want to make this a bigger problem than it is. I view it as relatively minor; however, my 91 Toy truck does not do this. I would expect the same performance from my $35,000 Ridgeline. There is more road noise in my 91 truck though. There is ample power that will satisfy. Ridgeline remained quiet at 80mph +. Easy to go 80 and it doesn't seem that fast. Shifting in the automatic felt smooth and geared appropriately.

Dealer is asking MSRP. NO MARKUP

Side note: I also drove the AWD Element with manual transmission. This is one great riding, fun as hell vehicle to drive with the manual Trans. Plenty of power, very perky. If my needs were different The Element would beat the Ridgeline out. I'm almost re-evaluating what I really need because of this drive. The Ridgeline is kind of a stodgy old mans car by comparison.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I too, got to test drive one finally yesterday, while still waiting for mine to come in. It was as I expected for size wise and I think it may be just a little smaller than the new Tacoma. I didn't notice the wind noise, but I was checking out the stereo and such. Plus, think about it, when you are riding around a lot, won't you have like the back window open or moonroof. You won't really notice any wind noise on the front windshield. Just my thoughts.

Yes, I agree, nothing was cheap on the interior of this vehicle. I like the rubber floor mats and the center storage consule. It took me a minute just to figure out all the little storage areas and doors. It also took me about 5 minutes to take in all the buttons and controls on the dashboard. LOTS of FEATURES! It's going to be sweet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are there actual carpets under the rubber mats? Or is the floor all rubber like the Element? Hard to tell from the pics. Looks like carpet.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vertrkr said:
Yes, that's it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears this.
I just heard this on my test drive, but your living with it. Is it really that annoying or do you just tune it out? Is it even noticable with the radio on? I'm assuming they all do this. I read your post before my drive, so I was looking for it, but I think I would have noticed it anyway.

What's with the dang windshield problems.

05 Tacoma - windshield leaks soaking carpets
Element - had a cracking problem.
Ridgeline - a kind of whistling sound

Is this some kind rocket science science or something?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ridge said:
I just heard this on my test drive, but your living with it. Is it really that annoying or do you just tune it out? Is it even noticable with the radio on? I'm assuming they all do this. I read your post before my drive, so I was looking for it, but I think I would have noticed it anyway.
For now I just try to tune it out. I know it's hopeless to have the dealer do anything about it at this point. I know the '05 Ody had the same problem and most dealers had no clue what to do until Honda issued a TSB a few months later about the window cowling not being clipped down correctly. Of course that's the first thing I checked and it's seated to window good with no gaps. I did mention it to my dealer but they just said "hmmm not sure". I'll take it in again in a month or two or my next visit and have them check it out again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did the RL's that whistle by any chance have roof racks? On my blazer, if the wind is going in a certain direction, it whistles, drove me nuts the first couple of times, but thankfully it does not happen very often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't believe the whistle noise is common and should be fixed. For what its worth, I had the same problem with my 03 element after a windshield was replaced by the dealer. They could not figure out what was causing it. One day I put some duct tape along the bottom of the windshield and the plastic molding. Noise went away. When I explained this to the dealer, the concluded that when the windshield was replaced, the plastic pins that hold the molding on were messed up. The molding would lift just a tad, enough to cause the noise. They replace all the plastic pins and the noise is gone. Its been gone for 55000 miles. If it were me, and I hope it will be soon, I would test drive the truck prior to taking delivery. I would not sign anything till I know everything is good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 112miles on mine since i got it Monday and there are no issues so far. I've been running with the sunroof and back window open, which make for a nice breeze in the truck.

I'm getting stopped in this just like I do in my S2K.

"wow, that's nice who makes it?"

Honda!

"Honda makes trucks?"

They do now!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I test drove an RTS today--first time seeing it in person too. I love it! Now I just have to wait until the price becomes more reasonable. The dealership had a $4K markup :eek: on the sticker. They said it might be 7 months to a year before you can get one for under MSRP. I said OK, I can wait. I didn't notice the wind noise that [I think] Vertrkr complained about. I found the step-in height to be higher than my wife's Jeep Liberty which has running boards that I don't use but would definitely get on the Ridgeline. Good power, corners like a nimble car, there weren't any hills around to do my hill test but I think it would do the job considering it's rapid acceleration on the freeway. The handle around the door release really sticks out but I didn't notice it much. What I didn't test out is the radio--I guess that's the one feature I don't really care about but it had lots of buttons which would appeal to my gadget side. I was really impressed by the size--outside doesn't look huge but inside is really roomy. I noticed on the RTL w/out NAVI that it still had the microphone (that's what the salesguy said it was) in place.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I test drove a RTL today and all I can say is that this will be my next Truck. I love the thing. I really liked the compus that was on the mirror. I told my sales man about the whistle noise but we did not hear any. I may have to wait a year to get this but all I know is that I will be getting this.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I plan to go to the dealer today to test drive one of their trucks. I will pay attention for the windshield wind noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove one while waiting for my Element oil change. Wow nice ride and power for a V6! I was tempted to trade in my 1 year old E.... but from experience I never purchase a new vehicle in its 1st year out because of problems may show up. Even thou it a Honda and have a track record for reliable rate. I may purchase one next year or the following year.
By that time the price should be lower and any issue will be already address and fix. Just putting my two cent worth. Thou I had to admit that I have dream about driving one home that night! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
zero said:
I plan to go to the dealer today to test drive one of their trucks. I will pay attention for the windshield wind noise.
Thanks Zero. Basically it will sound like you have the fan on hi speed. Bring it up to freeway speed, keep the radio off, or on, I can defintely hear it above the radio anyway.

·
2,346 Posts
Well I test drove a silver RT-L today. I did not get to drive it for very long (hardly any gas in it) but I liked it.

As far as the wind noise, I heard some noise once I hit 50 mph. I never have really paid attention to such things in the past but I will listen the next time I drive the Ody.

·
2,346 Posts
I took a buddy with me to the test drive today. He had to drop off his Range Rover at the nearby dealership. As we were getting into the Ridgeline, I was having trouble finding exactly where the indicators were for what gear you are in. The car was running at the time but the idle was whisper quiet. As I was putting the truck in gear, my friend says, "You have to turn it on first." Both the salesman and I turned and smiled and said, "It is on already." My friend was amazed at how quiet the truck was at idle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts