Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
CarFax is simply not trustworthy, when my daughter traded in her PT Cruiser it listed one accident and there had been two (neither her fault) from several years previous. Also, if customers pay cash "out of pocket" for a repair some body shops will never report it.

Unfortunately, since this damage was sort of "self-inflicted" you can't go after a second party insurance company for "Diminished Value" and such claims vary from state to state...anyway.

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
Something to consider. If reported to CarFax by the repair place or insurance, it might not show up right away.
I just got a big surprise when I traded my car for my 22 RL.
I bought my CPO car in May 2017. No damage reported on the CarFax then.
A few months later I noticed that the hood, left front fender, and passenger door had been repainted. The front bumper cover too or was completely replaced. I didn't notice when I bought it and, frankly, didn't think I needed to do that much inspection because it was CPO. Big learning opportunity there. I contacted the dealer that sold it to me as well as the original dealer that sold and serviced the car. No record of a repair. There was one bracket at the front corner that holds the fender. It looked exactly the same on both sides of the car. This led me to believe that the damage was minor, like just some scuffs, so not a major collision.
Ok, back to the point.... when discussing my trade (specifically why he couldn't go much higher), the RL dealer mentioned that there was an accident on my CarFax. I told him, "No", because there was nothing there when I bought it and nothing in my 5 years of ownership. Turns out, the CarFax listed damage from an incident that occurred in Jan 2016 as well as a disclaimer that that info was visible on the CarFax until Apr 2018.
My local mechanic was also telling me has customers that maximize their trade by trading in the car shortly after a repair, before it appears on the CarFax.
In this case, you can always present pictures to prove that the damage isn't a major collision. In my case, I was simply told that my car was worth less because it was a BMW with a blemish on the CarFax and higher mileage (although not very high - 82k).

Sorry, not an answer to your question, but my CarFax situation completely shocked me. I had no idea about this major lag in reporting. One more reason why CarFax isn't all that trustworthy of a source.
I had a new Civic Si that was vandalized when it was less than a year old. I paid for the repair. The paint didn't match. It was repainted. The paint didn't match. It was repainted again and the paint still didn't match. I traded the car in. The dealer never looked at the damaged side of the car which was parked in the shade during the transaction. The vandal was sued, lost, and payed restitution. While the car was still sitting in on the used lot, the damages appeared on CARFAX - they were reported not by the body shop, but by the court after the case was over.

The moral of the story is that:

• If something does appear on CARFAX, there's nearly a 100% chance it happened
  • If something doesn't appear on CARFAX, that doesn't mean it didn't happen - it just means it wasn't or hasn't been reported yet

:)

·
Registered
Ridgeline RTL 2022
47 Posts
Something to consider. If reported to CarFax by the repair place or insurance, it might not show up right away.
I just got a big surprise when I traded my car for my 22 RL.
I bought my CPO car in May 2017. No damage reported on the CarFax then.
A few months later I noticed that the hood, left front fender, and passenger door had been repainted. The front bumper cover too or was completely replaced. I didn't notice when I bought it and, frankly, didn't think I needed to do that much inspection because it was CPO. Big learning opportunity there. I contacted the dealer that sold it to me as well as the original dealer that sold and serviced the car. No record of a repair. There was one bracket at the front corner that holds the fender. It looked exactly the same on both sides of the car. This led me to believe that the damage was minor, like just some scuffs, so not a major collision.
Ok, back to the point.... when discussing my trade (specifically why he couldn't go much higher), the RL dealer mentioned that there was an accident on my CarFax. I told him, "No", because there was nothing there when I bought it and nothing in my 5 years of ownership. Turns out, the CarFax listed damage from an incident that occurred in Jan 2016 as well as a disclaimer that that info was visible on the CarFax until Apr 2018.
My local mechanic was also telling me has customers that maximize their trade by trading in the car shortly after a repair, before it appears on the CarFax.
In this case, you can always present pictures to prove that the damage isn't a major collision. In my case, I was simply told that my car was worth less because it was a BMW with a blemish on the CarFax and higher mileage (although not very high - 82k).

Sorry, not an answer to your question, but my CarFax situation completely sho cked me. I had no idea about this major lag in reporting. One more reason why CarFax isn't all that trustworthy of a source.
I traded in a 2011 Subaru Outback Limited in 2019. I had two car fax reports on file. One a guy hit me in the rear the other the car was parked and a guy backed into the passenger rear door. The most expensive was the door repair $2200, the rear end didn't do much damage only $ 975. The dealer only wanted to give me $5000 I sold it myself for $7500! A Carfax report is an automatic devaluation, really frustrating when either accident was your fault!

·
Registered
8 Posts
On a positive note, at least the frame didnt get bent. That would be much worse. Sorry to see it for both you fellas.
On a positive note, at least the frame didnt get bent. That would be much worse. Sorry to see it for both you fellas.
My wife DID bend the frame on our family hauler years ago. Ex-wife that is. Ran over a curb in a parking lot. “I never saw the curb”. Sigh. Whatever.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a similar but much smaller dent - involved the very bottom of the area behind the rear door. A very recommended local body shop wanted $2500 (cash no insurance involved) but took so long getting the quote to me I decided to see what the Honda dealer bodyshop wanted. $1400 all in and you'd never know it had a dent

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm guessing a low of $2-3K for a low-quality repair if you have it pulled and filled to a high of $5-6K for a high quality repair if you have it sectioned and repainted. The rear fender and door are relatively easy - it's the section between those two where the labor comes in.
My rule of thumb based on multiple wife-induced dents, take the high end of what you think it will cost, and add AT LEAST 25%.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife scraped her lexus with a yellow pole in the parking garage, on the passenger side...she initially claimed it was another car that had hit her... I said there aren't too many yellow cars that height....
Eventually she came clean...
Good luck with it

Reactions: Beaumontian

·
Registered
81 Posts
Given the economy where supply chain issues will impact everything. I would assume a quality, like new, pro repair will run $7-$9k. This is a beautiful truck and not an everyday utility workhorse so you'll want a pro body/paint job (not Maaco). You may have to wait on parts. Don't go to the body shop your insurance company recommends, they will do the job as cheaply as possible to keep their costs down. If you go to them first they become the estimate of record. Research and find the best highest rated shop in your area and go there FIRST. Don't worry about CarFax. This is a truck you'll hold onto for years (10 or more?). So let go of the issue of an accident report. Good idea to take pictures to demonstrate only body damage and no issues with frame, suspension or drive train. Good luck. As Bill Clinton would say, "I feel your pain" since I had a minor hit and run in a parking lot that dented the rear bed panel. Replacing the panel and repaint (in California) was over $5k!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is something you should investigate. I contacted the insurance company re replacing a windshield. They tried to railroad us into following their procedure and using their supplier with no option. I talked to an independent windshield guy who was livid. He said they've been fighting this a long time. This is Georgia and I don't know about anywhere else, but it is strictly illegal to force a repair to be done by the insurance companies agent as a restraint of trade. If the insurance company has a financial interest in the supplier its a more serious offense. The independent gave us the contact info to report this instance. When we told the insurance agent, AAA, we would handle it ourselves and they would have to deal directly with the installer of our choice, they simply went along. Their tactic is to make it appear that you have to follow their procedures when you don't have to. Reading their so-called policy we saw it was very carefully worded to mislead. Whether this is a unique Georgia law or is Federal I have no idea.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
My wife backed her Camry out of the garage and scraped the side of our Hyundai Sonata. Both cars sustained $1100 in damage. Cash payout.

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
It has no frame - it's a unibody.
“From the front of this vehicle to the back, we have framerails, just like any other truck would have,” says Kerry McClure, Honda chief engineer for the Ridgeline. “The body itself—instead of being bolted onto that framerail structure—is integrated so the floor panel sits on top of it and it is all welded together.”

21 - 40 of 48 Posts