Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been reading this site for a while now, learning everything I could about the Ridgeline with great interest. I've been showing my wife the videos, the photos, sent away for the Honda brochure, and generally making a pest of myself about this truck....all the while still insisting that I was still very happy with my '02 CRV-EX.
I also think my wife was getting tired of hearing me complaining that I really miss having a P/U ever since she traded her GMC Sierra P/U for a GMC Yukon.

I also began a comparison with the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier (a friend just bought one), to be sure that if I was going to eventually make the switch, that I ended up with the truck I liked the most.

Anyway, my CRV needed a oil change, rear brakes, and a state inspection this month, so it was dropped off at the dealer this past Thursday night for service on Friday. While there, my wife wanted me to show her the RL. I took her over and pointed out all the features, and she liked it a lot. She suggested that I grab a salesman and take a closer look, but I turned her down, saying they didn't even have the color I wanted (Silver). We looked it over for a couple more minutes, and then headed out.

On Saturday afternoon, we stopped by to pick up the CRV, and guess what was sitting on the lot....a Silver RL. My wife started pushing me towards it, but I pointed out that it probably wasn't the trim level I wanted (RTL with Moonroof). Well, we walked up to it and guess what - it was a RTL with Moonroof.
This time, the salesman was on the ball and came over to great us. After insisting that we were just browsing and were there to pick up the CRV, he got the keys to give us a better look.
Well, one thing led to another, and we ended up at the salesman's desk, listening to his 'we really can't do anything on the MSRP because it's in such high demand' speech. On a whim, I offered $900 under, which they ended up accepting.
Picked it up on Monday, and have been enjoying it all week. And oh yeah, I let my wife drive it tonight :)

BTW, thanks to everyone for all the great info I picked up on these boards. And for the record, no wind noise, no creaky steering wheel (yet), and no leaks from the rain the last couple days.
To get started, I'll probably be adding mud flaps, trailer hitch, and maybe the under seat cargo holder.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Congrats, depot44. Enjoy your Ridgeline. And make sure you take away a very valuable lesson from this experience. When the wife says go for it, do not hesitate. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Congrats!
Same here, looking for a truck, Tundra mostly,
waiting for the Ridgeline to come out.
All set to buy the Tundra, saw the Ridgeline in person on a sunday,
liked it. Hated it when I saw the first pics!
Drove it when I had my civic serviced the next tuesday, liked it more.
Offered $1250 less than msrp for black rtl with sunroof.
They took it.
Love this truck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great choice and I am enjoying my 'ridge more and more every day. Just cannot get over the great ride. My previous trucks include a 97 F-250 Diesel and an old 91 Nissan Hard body. Now to see if it can stand a Fairbanks winter. My ole del Sol is looking to get a work out this summer if the weather cooperates.

Honda Lover,

Andre

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great story, Depot. You are lucky that you have such a wonderful wife.

I have a similar experience with my wife when I got the Ridgeline. When I asked her if she wanted to test drive, she said she was not interested. When I bought the truck home two days later, she did not seem too disagreeable. I took that as a sign that she likes the truck.

So far, she has not driven the Ridgeline. At least I got her color. I like your non-chalant strategy and definitely will consult you when I get my MDX next year.

Good job on getting $900 off, unfortunately, I was a member of the MSRP club.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, congrats! I am also a member of the msrp club. My wife has an Accord EX and I am surprised at how many times I come home ( I drive a GMC van for work) and find the Ridgeline gone. Isn't it amazing how good women push us into making great decisions?

L

·
0 Posts
JulesK said:
Yes, congrats! I am also a member of the msrp club. My wife has an Accord EX and I am surprised at how many times I come home ( I drive a GMC van for work) and find the Ridgeline gone. Isn't it amazing how good women push us into making great decisions?
Hey Jules!! Isn't that "GREAT women who push you into GOOD decisions???? "I'm sorry to have to bring this error on your part to your attention but...well..hey...afterall...I am a woman!! ;) :)
By the way..I too am an MSRP member.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute a bit and help others out....
Used the bed to carry a full load today, so I have some of those 'work truck' scratches on the bed :D

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
depot44 said:
Used the bed to carry a full load today, so I have some of those 'work truck' scratches on the bed :D
Congratulations on your resignation from the Poseur Club. :)

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Welcome to the boards. You will love this truck.

I also now have the white battle scars in the truck bed. Feels good to break it in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well said. My wife at first was not amenable into us getting our Ridge when my '02 CR-V was doing perfectly OK (it had only 35K when I traded it in). So I said that I just wanted to test drive one and see what the Ridge had to offer. That I did. She stayed behind the dealership while I took the truck for a spin. When I got back I just fell in love with the truck and that started probably a six-week period to convince her of the wisdom of trading in the CR-V for the Ridge. Finally, she ok'd as long as she gets to pick the color and insisted that we get the RTL because she found out about the leather heated seats up front. :) :) Although I was happy if I got the RT or the RTS, we ended up getting our silver RTL about ten days ago. Right now, we have 600 miles on the odometer and we are fully satisfied with our purchase. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
You guys all are members of the elite "MSRP" club??? Heck, my dealer was more then tickled to just give me one (seems that I had the first one in this area) to be seen on the road. Do have to wonder why though all my "Honda" name brand options added up to the original cost of the vehicle??? But still, my Ridgeline was "free" for the local advertizing of the dealership, thought it was a good trade...lol!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My purchase was similar. I paid MSRP but got Roof Rack, Running Boards and Fog Lights tossed in. But had to I installed my running boards and Roof Rack myself.

My wife also strongly encouraged me to buy my RL. I think she was tired of me talking about it but once in it she told me to get it. It didn't hurt that she didn't like my 03 CRV.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know my wife is happy that I finally made a decision--now she probably hopes (and she's right on) that I'll stop ogling every truck that drives by and stop talking about buying one. You know, I think she used reversed psychology on me when she challenged me by saying "You'll never buy a truck". Women..., they're good!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Congrats nwdiver.

Maybe I'll see you on the road next time I'm in te Seattle area.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
My husband said he'd seen an ad for an amazing truck when we were out to breakfast across the street from the Honda dealer. I told him to stop and look at it. We both loved it. I went into high research mode as soon as we looked at the rig.

I had to my twist hubby's arm and insist on upgrading to the NAV. He resisted for about a minute, saying we didn't need it or the moonroof. I think he wanted it as bad as I did. He's tickled to pieces with it since picking it up on Friday. No negative issues yet. Now, if he will ever let me drive it. . .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts