Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me identify this button. It doesn't seem to be represented in the manual. I have a 2022 sport in Canada. The button is lit when I start the engine. It can be turned off; next time I start,
White Light Blue Automotive design Grey

it's lit again. What is this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My guess. Rain sensing wipers? Shape is windshield, with what looks like a wiper.
Ask your dealer.they SHOULD know. Maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talking about extra features, I finally had a chance to play with adaptive cruise control on a relatively empty stretch of the 401 around Port Hope, Cobourg and Trenton. Disappointment. It does slow the vehicle down when you're gaining on another one. However it takes forever to regain speed after that. So long and uncertain that I decided to pull the plug on cruise control altogether. Too bad. A good feature ruined.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeh, it's not great, but you get used to it. For me it's an anti ticket device. On the highway you learn to change lanes earlier to avoid the slow down or just turn it off. There's always the standard cruise if you want it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The "problem" with the Ridgeline is that is has a weak engine. C'est vari. :(
IMHO, simply not enough torque to hold a steady speed, and when coupled to the present 9-speed, it hunts for the "tallest gear" for low-rpms and "most mileage" ... .
So, I too find it "slow" to pick up speed after slowing in ACC when the 'coast is clear' ... and for me, it usually takes a bit of distance before it down-shifts and then (finally) picks up speed. Why? No torque. Then, when it re-achieves the set ACC speed, it "throws out the anchor" ... so another moment of "oh, what is this ?"

I've just learned to live with it ... awaiting the coming of affordable BEV* trucks (2025/6).

Another 50-60 ft-lbs of torque will help ... by adding a small turbo to this engine.
We do not "drive high speed" in America, so the 280 hp is not in the "able to maintain a consistent speed, or accelerate" equation. It lacks TORQUE.

I do not know the HP/Torque curves, but I "feel" there is nothing down low ... HP or Torque.

I have not "played" with the "sport" modes, or holding it in gear using the paddle shifters. But, doesn't all that detract from the experience?

.. my 2-$ (inflation adjusted) :)

* = Battery Electric Vehicle. (As opposed to a fuel-cell electric vehicle. Or, in the case of a locomotive, a diesel electric. Or, a Hybrid electric vehicle)
PMAC and Induction motors have full torque at stall ... 0-rpm. So, why BEVs are such a "kick in the pants" to drive.
(nobody is using series DC motors, or Sep-Ex motors in vehicles (new designs), and now few to none in any existing work-equipment BEVs as they get scrapped)

·
Registered
2021 black edition
119 Posts
The "problem" with the Ridgeline is that is has a weak engine. C'est vari. :(
IMHO, simply not enough torque to hold a steady speed, and when coupled to the present 9-speed, it hunts for the "tallest gear" for low-rpms and "most mileage" ... .
So, I too find it "slow" to pick up speed after slowing in ACC when the 'coast is clear' ... and for me, it usually takes a bit of distance before it down-shifts and then (finally) picks up speed. Why? No torque. Then, when it re-achieves the set ACC speed, it "throws out the anchor" ... so another moment of "oh, what is this ?"

I've just learned to live with it ... awaiting the coming of affordable BEV* trucks (2025/6).

Another 50-60 ft-lbs of torque will help ... by adding a small turbo to this engine.
We do not "drive high speed" in America, so the 280 hp is not in the "able to maintain a consistent speed, or accelerate" equation. It lacks TORQUE.

I do not know the HP/Torque curves, but I "feel" there is nothing down low ... HP or Torque.

I have not "played" with the "sport" modes, or holding it in gear using the paddle shifters. But, doesn't all that detract from the experience?

.. my 2-$ (inflation adjusted) :)

* = Battery Electric Vehicle. (As opposed to a fuel-cell electric vehicle. Or, in the case of a locomotive, a diesel electric. Or, a Hybrid electric vehicle)
PMAC and Induction motors have full torque at stall ... 0-rpm. So, why BEVs are such a "kick in the pants" to drive.
(nobody is using series DC motors, or Sep-Ex motors in vehicles (new designs), and now few to none in any existing work-equipment BEVs as they get scrapped)
What you talkin bout Willis

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,716 Posts
What you talkin bout Willis
I think he meant it is weak at low rpms, where it spends most of its time.

It probably has too much power at upper rpms. But that is the best recipe for getting tolerable MPG out of a engine that also gives you power when you need it, just not maybe when you want it.

The turbo4 will give you that torque at low rpm, but you also pay the price in MPG... you get the same MPG as the V6, but at higher engine pressures and lack of smoothness.

The big question for many of us is whether the turbo4 would suffice for the Ridgeline? Obviously, it will power-wise. But in the heavy Ridgeline, will there be any MPG benefit? Will there be any penalty in longevity?

Sorry, got off on a tangent...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, got off on a tangent...

I think the solution is a small turbo on this 3.5L V6. Yes, more cost.
Not a Honda Turbo4.

The 2.3L in my RS has far more power and is extremely smooth, so if Honda switch to that Ecoboost, fine.
The V6 Ecoboost engines ... are the cats-meow for power and economy (both mpg and cost). IMHO.

Now, how about those wiper blade warmers?
Anyone in the frozen areas with experience?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think there is a standard cruise control feature. My understanding is that it's either adaptive or nothing.
Use "Sport" mode. Helps a TON getting back up to speed.
At the risk of appearing extremely naive, I cannot find anything about sports mode on either the dashboard or in the manual. The D/S button switches to a sequential mode which seems to be something else altogether. Now, my electric vehicle (which can be seen in the avatar next to the Ridgeline) has a sports mode. When you engage that, it really flies...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am from Canada as well and have a 2018 Touring Ridgeline. The button turns on a heating element on the windshield where the wipers rest. It will turn on automatically when it is cold. Unfortunately the design is very poor and it is useless as it does not put out enough heat. I have had it in for service and the service advisor admitted that it is not effective.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The D/S button switches to a sequential mode which seems to be something else altogether.
Honda does call "S" sequential mode which is when you'd use the shift paddles. Just hit the D/S button on console (S) shows up on display right in front of you. Don't use the paddles. Page 388 of my 2020 RL owners manual states " S position: Automatically changing gears between 1st and 8th (8th gear is only used at high speed). Driving in sequential mode."

1 - 20 of 43 Posts