Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,533 Posts
What you talkin bout Willis
I think he meant it is weak at low rpms, where it spends most of its time.

It probably has too much power at upper rpms. But that is the best recipe for getting tolerable MPG out of a engine that also gives you power when you need it, just not maybe when you want it.

The turbo4 will give you that torque at low rpm, but you also pay the price in MPG... you get the same MPG as the V6, but at higher engine pressures and lack of smoothness.

The big question for many of us is whether the turbo4 would suffice for the Ridgeline? Obviously, it will power-wise. But in the heavy Ridgeline, will there be any MPG benefit? Will there be any penalty in longevity?

Sorry, got off on a tangent...

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,533 Posts
I think the solution is a small turbo on this 3.5L V6. Yes, more cost.
Not a Honda Turbo4.

The 2.3L in my RS has far more power and is extremely smooth, so if Honda switch to that Ecoboost, fine.
The V6 Ecoboost engines ... are the cats-meow for power and economy (both mpg and cost). IMHO.

Now, how about those wiper blade warmers?
Anyone in the frozen areas with experience?
Ford's ecoboost engines are not without their issues.

MPG - lots of owners reporting they need to tread a fine line between getting decent economy vs any power at all, they report driving like there's an egg under their foot in order to get anywhere near the EPA numbers. When using much throttle they get worse MPG than their old 5.0 V8.

My landscape guy had one of the earlier 3.5 EB trucks. He said he loved the power, but if it was windy out, he could watch the gas gauge drop no matter how he drove. Since we live in windy country here, that was his last EB.

Maintenance - the EB engines need more frequent OCIs due to oil shearing with the turbo setup. The oil breaks down much faster than in a NA engine.

Early EBs had some issues with timing chains, as well as some early versions didn't do well in humid environments. I think they fixed those issues in later versions. I think there is some other stuff I'm missing, but can't think of it right now.

As for a working truck engine, Ford does not offer any EB engines in their HD trucks. They are a great engine for the smaller trucks, but not meant to stand up to continuous heavy towing or commercial duty.

Anyway, I think there still needs to be a lot of work done to get efficient turbo power with these heavier vehicles. Like you said, a low-boost turbo would likely be the right direction, but that may not sell enough vehicles to justify the R&D (HP numbers would be well below the competition).

There's a running joke out there that all of the smaller trucks have minivan engines, and there is a lot of truth to that. We'll be in EVs before we get a decent truck engine in anything less than a full-size truck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.