Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud owner of a new 2020 RTL-E in deep scarlet pearl. The three plugs in the photo were in the glove box. Anyone have any idea where they go? I can't find any holes to put them in or reference to them anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
While I can't help you with the oval pieces to the right, I can describe the clip to your left. It's a cover for the emergency shift lock release button found in your center console on the forward wall. The clip goes into that hole and, when the clip is removed, you insert your physical key into the slot. This allows you to shift out of park if depressing the brake pedal doesn't allow you to like it should.

However, this is where it got funny for me, owning a 2020 myself, I couldn't find that in my manual at all. However it is included in the previous model years because they don't have the 9-speed with the push-button shifter. So honestly, you can put it there or leave it, as you'll never find the need to use it anyway since your push-button shifter uses computer parameters to determine when it's safe to shift from park and not the physical depressing of the brake pedal as in the 2017-2019 models.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Proud owner of a new 2020 RTL-E in deep scarlet pearl. The three plugs in the photo were in the glove box. Anyone have any idea where they go? I can't find any holes to put them in or reference to them anywhere.
Underneath in the box frame almost between the two side doors. It's where the tie downs for transport went. Look you'll find the appropriately shaped holes. one on each side of vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I can't help you with the oval pieces to the right, I can describe the clip to your left. It's a cover for the emergency shift lock release button found in your center console on the forward wall. The clip goes into that hole and, when the clip is removed, you insert your physical key into the slot. This allows you to shift out of park if depressing the brake pedal doesn't allow you to like it should. View attachment 400911

However, this is where it got funny for me, owning a 2020 myself, I couldn't find that in my manual at all. However it is included in the previous model years because they don't have the 9-speed with the push-button shifter. So honestly, you can put it there or leave it, as you'll never find the need to use it anyway since your push-button shifter uses computer parameters to determine when it's safe to shift from park and not the physical depressing of the brake pedal as in the 2017-2019 models.
Excellent! Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A saw those holes in the frame and tried the plugs. They were pretty loose, so wasn't sure that's where they went. I'll go put them in now along with the key cover. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have lighted running boards, those plugs maybe from the floorboard where the wires go through.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you have lighted running boards, those plugs maybe from the floorboard where the wires go through.
No. Running board wiring goes through front floor board.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those plugs are for the frame rails for the lash down points for transport, as others have said. Many Japanese manufacturers use the same exact plugs, including Toyota/Lexus. They are supposed to be installed during the pre-sale inspection, but because they are so ubiquitous many dealers just have a large bin of them and grab what they need and install them and leave the ones in the glove box. I just picked up a 2020 Lexus and there were four of those plugs in the glovebox but they'd already been installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2 big plugs are for the undercarriage where the transport truck secured your truck in transit and the other loo like a shifter cover for manual override for towing without key fob. Go back to your dealer and tell them your truck wasn’t properly PDI!!'

·
Registered
19 Posts
While I can't help you with the oval pieces to the right, I can describe the clip to your left. It's a cover for the emergency shift lock release button found in your center console on the forward wall. The clip goes into that hole and, when the clip is removed, you insert your physical key into the slot. This allows you to shift out of park if depressing the brake pedal doesn't allow you to like it should. View attachment 400911

I can not speak to the two large ones, but I found the same little black clip in my console. I keep pushing it in the slot, but it really does not fit well. Since it will not be needed, sounds like a small piece of black electrical tape will make a fine replacement. Thanks for the fine pics and history lesson.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Dporter, it actually doesn't fit flush with the console wall, or even close to flush. Here's another picture with it installed on mine. Try to ignore the awful dust lol, I love the piano black trim on this thing...

I fiddled with it a good minute or two to ultimately find it's meant to be that way, so yeah, electrical tape accomplishes the same end. Glad I could help!

·
Registered
391 Posts

I believe this is for use if you're battery is dead so the computer can't determine if it is safe to shift out of park--this will mechanically release it. On my G1 the battery died in the garage once and I park the front end under cabinets so I had to use this procedure to get it out of park and push it back far enough to open the hood and put a charger on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@tmz I'm actually not sure how one would move the 2020 G2 if the battery was dead. All the previous model years had the console shifter knob that allowed some form of mechanical actuation if there wasn't any power, but since the 2020 uses a push-button shifter I think the emergency shift lock release slot is made pointless, and I'd have to do gymnastics to hook up my battery charger if it was parked inconveniently. I haven't seen anything in the manual showing how to use the gear selector without power, at any rate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts