Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'08 White Ridgeline RTL w/Moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, was messing around in the drivers side fuse box and found this really odd switch. It doesn’t even seem like it’s wired to a power source. I don’t know if it is in an off or on position (the switch doesn’t say). I noticed the wires lead up into the steering column (not sure if it goes into the wheel or not). Has anyone experienced similar or installed something similar?
- Tate
Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Machine Electronic device

Reactions: Lucky Jack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys, was messing around in the drivers side fuse box and found this really odd switch. It doesn’t even seem like it’s wired to a power source. I don’t know if it is in an off or on position (the switch doesn’t say). I noticed the wires lead up into the steering column (not sure if it goes into the wheel or not). Has anyone experienced similar or installed something similar?
- Tate View attachment 428712
don't think it's factory installed

·
Registered
937 Posts
KIll switch ?
This was my first guess looking at it as well. Especially if there is no power on it (really hope not with as shoddy as that is done). I would imagine they may have just tapped into the ignition switch wiring with it. You could easily figure if that is what it was by flipping the switch and seeing if you can still start the truck. If that is in fact what it does, you could either leave that switch in place, splice the wires together right there or remove the ignition switch/start button (not sure which all G1's had) and resplice the wires behind it. If you did want to leave it in place, I would strongly suggest changing to a different switch that you can have crimped on ends that leave no exposed metal.

·
Registered
'08 White Ridgeline RTL w/Moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the comments. I’ll investigate what the switch actually does and decide from there. I was nervous at first about hitting it because I wasn’t too sure what it was wired to, lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As I recall there are two ways to reduce the chance of having your vehicle stolen: 1) Install a hidden switch in the starting system wiring, which that may be and 2) install a switch that turns off the power to the fuel pump. Supposedly the latter is somewhat better because the vehicle may start and travel a short distance but then stall in, for example, an intersection. A thief is unlikely to try to figure out why the car quit with cars whizzing by and the cops likely to show up. Actually I like the method in the James Bond movie where his snazzy car has a sticker stating something like "Theft Proof" and when the thief breaks the window the car blows up (along with him); of course the problem is the collateral damage including one's car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I recall there are two ways to reduce the chance of having your vehicle stolen: 1) Install a hidden switch in the starting system wiring, which that may be and 2) install a switch that turns off the power to the fuel pump. Supposedly the latter is somewhat better because the vehicle may start and travel a short distance but then stall in, for example, an intersection. A thief is unlikely to try to figure out why the car quit with cars whizzing by and the cops likely to show up. Actually I like the method in the James Bond movie where his snazzy car has a sticker stating something like "Theft Proof" and when the thief breaks the window the car blows up (along with him); of course the problem is the collateral damage including one's car.
Actually that was Robocop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, "for Your Eyes Only" - after which Bond and Melina (Carole Bouquet) are forced to retreat in one of four Citroën 2CVs, with modifications for the stunts. All had more powerful flat-four engines, and one received a special revolving plate on its roof, so it could get turned upside down.

And yes, jettison that switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, "for Your Eyes Only" - after which Bond and Melina (Carole Bouquet) are forced to retreat in one of four Citroën 2CVs, with modifications for the stunts. All had more powerful flat-four engines, and one received a special revolving plate on its roof, so it could get turned upside down.

And yes, jettison that switch.
And the Citroen 2CV ride down the side of the mountain through the olive? groves was pretty fun too.

And never tell your service department about the existence of the switch after taking it out.:oops:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I like the idea, but if the car stalls due to #2 and that causes an accident the owner will likely be at least partially liable. I don't care about the thief, but others could get hurt, and the owner could get sued even if it's just the thief that gets hurt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a '77 Lincoln Mark V (damn, I miss that car) and a previous owner had installed a switch from a Caterpillar tractor or whatever. It was on the driver's side floor and it just disabled the ignition so the car couldn't be hot wired. I agree with fdeno. Flip the switch. If the car won't start, it's an ignition kill switch. Keep it.

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,298 Posts
Yikes! If the terminals on that switch touched ground there's no telling how many fuses/circuits could go up in smoke!

I'd say step one is to figure out the On/Off positions of the switch. You could use a multimeter, circuit tester or remove the switch and bench test it to determine the On/Off positions.

The next thing I would do is at least wrap some electrical tape around the exposed terminals and test everything on the truck with the switch On and Off to figure out what circuit it's wired into.

Once you know what the switch does, then you can decide if you want to have a switch on that circuit or not. If you don't want a switch, I'd solder and heat shrink the wires together. If you do want a switch on that circuit, then mount a better switch where you want it and insulate all the wires properly.

Let us know what you find out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts