Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I guess this former 82nd Airborne/ 7th Special Forces Group, 20 yr soldier doesn't own a "real" truck either. Ha! What I do own, is all the truck that 75% of American truck owners need. No need to expend $$ for capability that will NEVER get used. Ridgeline rocks!
You defended our country. Thank you very much. No need to defend your choice of vehicle....................................................screw the peanut gallery critics.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,376 Posts
I guess this former 82nd Airborne/ 7th Special Forces Group, 20 yr soldier doesn't own a "real" truck either. Ha! ...
When did you serve with the 7th SFG(A)? I was there in the mid to late 90s at Ft Bragg with MID704.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The "real truck" crowd that say the RL is not a real truck is the same as the crowd that say they need tons of room as they have xx kids but go out and buy an SUV instead of a minivan as the minivan is not manly enough to be seen in. LOL.

Our friend bought a G2 RL for comfort and its abilities and to tow their camper. He is extremely happy with its performance in all uses. We all have been camping together for the last 20 years and he says he will never go back to a traditional (BOF) truck again even with the camper he has.

image2(orig) (2).jpeg
This was during a 12K mi trip last year through out the US and Canada.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just bought a REAL TRUCK, a 2019 RTL-E. It is exactly what we needed. We traded in a 2014 Honda Accord and a 2012 Nissan Frontier 4x4.

The Frontier was just sitting maybe one or two trips to Home Depot or the dump per month it had 10,000 miles
on it. The frame was rusting out more and more everyday, we live on the coast and if yo hit a puddle it is a s likely to be salt water as fresh. We had 2000 Frontier that the frame completely rusted away by 2010 so I was scared of holding onto the Frontier, that plus my wife was having problems getting into the Frontier.

I was looking a the new Jeep Gladiator but my wife could not get in, the Ridgeline is a couple of inches lower and she slips right in.

So far the Ridgeline is exactly what we need, oh dear I am repeating myself.

Ralph

·
Registered
28 Posts
That’s gotta be a Can Am RV setup out of Ontario. Beyond my comfort zone, but I love the setup. Looks like a 27-footer(?)

Steve
Yes it is a Can Am RV set up. It is a 27ft model.

The RL handles it very well when I went for a drive (only ~ 15min). Got to drive it part way and very impressed with the RL performance. Wasn't sure how the 6 spd would do as only experience was with a Pilot with the 9 spd towing also a 27ft Airstream.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes it is a Can Am RV set up. It is a 27ft model.

The RL handles it very well when I went for a drive (only ~ 15min). Got to drive it part way and very impressed with the RL performance. Wasn't sure how the 6 spd would do as only experience was with a Pilot with the 9 spd towing also a 27ft Airstream.
Can Am's setups are so impressive. And controversial.
I'm still (sort of) shopping for an Airstream and this opens some options. Not looking to go that big, but would like to have tandem axles but most of the newer lightweights only have singles.

Not to derail too badly, but what kind of changes did Andy make to the vehicle? I know he often replaces tires and shocks, adds heat exchangers, and beefs up the hitch so it can better load the front end through the weight distributing hitch.

Anyway, that 27' Airstream sure makes the RL look like a REAL TRUCK!

Neat.

Steve

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,312 Posts
Every time I drive or ride in my wife's 2013 G1, I marvel at how much smoother and better handling it is than my 2017 Ram 4X4. If it weren't for our 23.5' camping trailer that we haul (and overpack) on vacation, I probably would make the switch to a G2. I imagine that loaded up the trailer weighs in at 4500#.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
...would like to have tandem axles but most of the newer lightweights only have singles...
You may be interested in Escape Trailer Industries fiberglass models with tandem axles.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
Isn't calling the Ridgeline "not a real truck" like calling:

a Civic Type R "not a real sports car" because it's not RWD?
a Dodge Charger "not a real police car" because it's not body-on-frame like a Crown Victoria?
a Cadillac XTS "not a real luxury car" because its engine is not mounted longitudinally?

To me, using a conventional truck for commuting, grocery shopping, hauling, and towing less than 5,000 lbs. is like using a rooster instead of an alarm clock or shaving with a sword. :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Isn't calling the Ridgeline "not a real truck" like calling:

a Civic Type R "not a real sports car" because it's not RWD?
a Dodge Charger "not a real police car" because it's not body-on-frame like a Crown Victoria?
a Cadillac XTS "not a real luxury car" because its engine is not mounted longitudinally?

To me, using a conventional truck for commuting, grocery shopping, hauling, and towing less than 5,000 lbs. is like using a rooster instead of an alarm clock or shaving with a sword. :)
LOL. I agree with most. But not on the CTR. FWD was never implemented for performance. It was implemented for fuel economy and manufacturing cost. A sports car is a 2 seater and RWD. The correct term would be performance car but to me the CTR isn't, not with FWD. The turbo 4's are the modification cars, everyone puts bolt ons on them, and tunes. I should know as that class has been my performance car of choice (AWD turbo hatches) for over a decade now. Honda needs to add sh-awd to it, then it's a contender. I drove a tuned one not long ago and it torque steered all over the place, and the stock one will too if you push it hard enough in the twisties or on track. They also need a toned down look version for grown ups.

I 100% agree with you on using a conventional truck to commute, go through drive thrus, etc. That's all I see locally and have/had to listen to it with my G1 or G2 RL. It's not a real truck, it's a minivan, it's a girl's truck, blah blah blah. Some of these people have lifted full sizes with 33's, front and rear brush grills/bumpers, and they never tow anything and rarely, if ever, put anything into the bed. It's a complete joke.

Same goes for sportscar owners here. They buy a 911, a Vette, then commute in it. And they never hit the twisties or do a track day or HPDE. I don't see the point. To me vehicles are a toolbox, and I pick the correct tool for the job at hand. I definitely tow, but not heavy loads, I use the bed and 1500 lb payload is more than I need. So I could trade the functional aspects of the RL for image, or I could trade the excellent and best handling of any truck made in the RL, for crappy handling for image reasons, but I don't see the point in that. To me these "rugged" looking trucks are for poseurs. And I don't pose, ever. And they cost more so I'm paying many thousands more for stuff I will never use, get crappy handling in return, and large depreciation, and perhaps less reliable. Why? A colleague barked about the G2 RL. Drives a F250 Diesel King Ranch. Bought it for a boat he could tow with a Frontier or RL, easily. Took him to the Honda dealer a year ago for a test drive. Having spent too much money and time at the track, with a plethora of experience, simply took the RL through an underpass at a high rate of speed to demonstrate handling prowess. After I made the turn, easily, at more than double the speed limit, I asked him what his truck would have done. His answer: "My truck would have flipped over." Haven't heard another comment from him since. He isn't dumb, just ignorant, like most who look at the RL, then chime in, in the comments section of some you boob video griping. No experience, no test driven, no nothing. Thank God there is one manu who made a realistic truck for realistic use, gave it IRS, handling prowess, and a very competent AWDrivetrain. Sick of the fake image vehicles, and "12k lb tow capacity" that single digit % folks actually use. If I wanted a rock crawler I'd buy a Wrangler.

The simple truth is that many people are just fake. And most people buy vehicles for image reasons. They buy it based on image alone. Or like a few people at work who just bought the latest full size Dodge. They bought it because it has an iPad, Tesla-like, infotainment screen. And the exact same people, when gas or oil barrel prices spike, come into the office and whine like 13 year old girls about spending so much on fuel. Enjoy your big *** screen man. Instead I'd buy a real world use vehicle, for many thousands less, go by the stereo shop and mount my iPad pro somewhere around the dash and call it a day. for 10k or more less money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And they cost more so I'm paying many thousands more for stuff I will never use, get crappy handling in return, and large depreciation, and perhaps less reliable. Why? A colleague barked about the G2 RL. Drives a F250 Diesel King Ranch. Bought it for a boat he could tow with a Frontier or RL, easily. Took him to the Honda dealer a year ago for a test drive. Having spent too much money and time at the track, with a plethora of experience, simply took the RL through an underpass at a high rate of speed to demonstrate handling prowess. After I made the turn, easily, at more than double the speed limit, I asked him what his truck would have done. His answer: "My truck would have flipped over." Haven't heard another comment from him since. He isn't dumb, just ignorant, like most who look at the RL, then chime in, in the comments section of some you boob video griping. No experience, no test driven, no nothing. Thank God there is one manu who made a realistic truck for realistic use, gave it IRS, handling prowess, and a very competent AWDrivetrain. Sick of the fake image vehicles, and "12k lb tow capacity" that single digit % folks actually use. If I wanted a rock crawler I'd buy a Wrangler.

T

? I traded an F250 Diesel King Ranch in on my RTL-E and have not missed the F250 one bit!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can Am's setups are so impressive. And controversial.
I'm still (sort of) shopping for an Airstream and this opens some options. Not looking to go that big, but would like to have tandem axles but most of the newer lightweights only have singles.

Not to derail too badly, but what kind of changes did Andy make to the vehicle? I know he often replaces tires and shocks, adds heat exchangers, and beefs up the hitch so it can better load the front end through the weight distributing hitch.

Anyway, that 27' Airstream sure makes the RL look like a REAL TRUCK!

Neat.

Steve
Off Topic...
They truly are experts at rv & tow vehicle set ups no one even comes close to their knowledge.

The changes to the RL were reinforcement of the hitch as the receiver tube is not strong enough even for a lighter trailer so when WD bars are applied there is flex of the tube. This is not only true for the RL but some full size and the other mid size truck except the Tacoma need this reinforcement as well.
The tires could be better but Can Am told him not to worry about it until they need replacing and then to go to a 55 or 50 series tire for a bit better handling.
No extra cooling was required and they did not experience overheating once during the entire trip and they encountered some significant grades.
CanAm also told them that the 9 speed in the Pilot would make it a much better tow vehicle
End of Off Topic...

If you have other questions PM me or another thread can be started in the towing section.

Gord

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
468 Posts
N.A.R.T. So...what’s the alternative to the Not A Real Truck label.
?
Reason I ask is I happen to make custom decals as a hobby...
So if there is an alternative acronym for our Real Trucks I’d be happy to work up a new decal design! ?

Also, is there an official ridgeline decal available for this forum? If so where can I order one...

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
468 Posts
NART getting some work done this morning. I don’t have a tractor ?, camper, or anything huge to haul around. I’m a homeowner. 10ft utility trailer, home improvement store, and most important, halls me and my bikes!
And this TRUCK does it all in comfort!
???

61 - 80 of 111 Posts