Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It's long but sums up the RL in general terms. By the way, it works for tall people too.

Glad he did that piece, especially considering the quasi hit-job he did on the RL in the previous comparison review. The truckier trucks are fine - get what suits you! - but for my family utility, drivability and livability take priority. Our G1 was great in those terms, but our G2 is even more "livable" for people like my wife. Now I have the problem of going to the driveway to grab something from the trunk, etc., and discovering that she took the RL someplace instead of her car or SUV :).

·
Registered
210 Posts
The only thing my Ridgeline is really less of a truck at than my previous full size Tundra is the size of the bed, not fair given the class comparison, the Tundra had about 50lbs more payload capacity, and the towing capacity was about 10k pounds, and it had better ground clearance. For me I miss none of those things. I think I towed about 6k lbs once for a very short distance, and I would probably have done it with my ridgeline if I had it at the time and not worried about it much.

In many other ways the Ridgeline is better, and in ways that I appreciate much more often. It's much nicer and more fund to drive, the trunk is so useful, the bed is easier to load, and it's easier to get around in parking lots although it's not a huge difference.

Just depends on what you want and need in a vehicle.

It's funny I saw a video which was posted here a few days ago comparing the frontier to the titan and the frontier had less than 1000 lbs. payload and the titan was only about 1300 lbs. payload. For me, the payload capacity is more important than towing and it turns out the ridge is not too shabby in that regard.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'll watch it when time allows although I really can't stand this guy and his attitude. Get another double burger Nathan! What makes me dismiss journalists in general, and specifically in this case, is handling and driving dynamics. The Ridgeline is the best pavement handling truck on the market due to unibody and the awd system. When they aren't fair about this, to me the review is a joke, because that is where these trucks, all trucks will spend 90% of their time. In the performance automobile space, it's the same thing. They compare cars when it's warm and dry only and never in inclement weather. The review industry is to a large percentage, a joke.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
This is probably one of the most rambling videos I've seen from TFL. Nathan takes forever to get to the point, and then he bows to the haters by saying "It's not really a truck, it's basically a crossover with a bed...yeah OK, it's not a truck." A fair reviewer would defer to those diagrams of the Ridgeline's steel skeleton where it's obvious that the RL is much more than a crossover with a bed.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
TFL leans HEAVILY into the off-road arena. It really should be TflOffroadTruck.com.

The Jeep Cherokee / Grand Cherokee can be quite a capable off-roader (as acknowledged by several Jalopnik writers), and it is unibody. However, TFL puts that in their TFL Car segment, and never discusses it in their truck segment. Unibody is sacrilege in their "truck" minds.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm going to petition PennDOT to lower my yearly registration fees to that of a crossover 'cause Nathan says it just ain't a truck.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
This is probably one of the most rambling videos I've seen from TFL. Nathan takes forever to get to the point, and then he bows to the haters by saying "It's not really a truck, it's basically a crossover with a bed...yeah OK, it's not a truck." A fair reviewer would defer to those diagrams of the Ridgeline's steel skeleton where it's obvious that the RL is much more than a crossover with a bed.
What's that old joke? If it hauls like a truck and (mostly) tows like a truck, it sure ain't a duck!

·
Registered
399 Posts
TFL leans HEAVILY into the off-road arena. It really should be TflOffroadTruck.com.

The Jeep Cherokee / Grand Cherokee can be quite a capable off-roader (as acknowledged by several Jalopnik writers), and it is unibody. However, TFL puts that in their TFL Car segment, and never discusses it in their truck segment. Unibody is sacrilege in their "truck" minds.
If the RL was RWD based with standard dana diffs and had 10" of ground clearance I don't think they would make unibody an issue. At that point you would lose all the advantages of the RL as it sits today.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

I must be a subconscious unibody fan, having recently had a really nice Grand Cherokee for about 7 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I laugh when people say "the Ridgeline isn't a truck". They are the same people who would say a 1970's Ford Courier IS a truck, which had less power (over 100 fewer HP) and carried less payload. What exactly makes a truck a "truck". To me, it's the bed. My family had a big Chevy diesel conversion van back in the 1980's. It was built on a truck platform...yet it wasn't a "truck"...it was a van. It had a ludicrous tow rating (being a diesel) and would have probably been able to tow a house off its foundation...but it wasn't a truck. It was body on frame...but it wasn't a truck. WHY wasn't it a truck? No bed...be it boxed or flat.

If you use an F-650 chassis and mount a dump bed on it...it's a truck. Compared to and F-150...it hauls and tows more. Does that make the F-150 not a truck? Of course not! Same with the Ridgeline. The most I'd ever carry in a truck bed is maybe some landscaping timbers or some stone pavers. Maybe a couple of motorcycles...so 1000lbs max?? Maybe. I don't own a trailer, but I could see helping a friend move or something and having to tow a U-Haul. What? 3000lbs? Maybe?

So why exactly is my truck not a "truck"? Why should I have to own a vehicle that is less comfortable, has less room inside (compared to other midsize trucks), rides worse, gets worse fuel mileage, handles worse, and often costs more for what you get....just to say I have a "truck"?

What it boils down to is some folks are compensating for shortcomings or something. Maybe it's low self esteem...who knows? I have actually had a friend ride in my truck and say "this is really nice" followed, "but I could never drive one...it's a minivan with a bed". As if somehow the viewing public will be making a portion of his car payment so he has to consider what they think.

I've owned two F-150's and I can't think of time I ever thought to myself, "Boy, I sure am glad I don't have a smaller truck". Most of the time their size was a negative. Difficult to turn around. Difficult to park. Won't fit in the garage.

I didn't buy the Ridgeline because I wanted a truck. I bought a Ridgeline because I DON'T want a truck, but I need a truck on rare occasions.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Besides the fact Nathan can be a bit of a knucklehead that is running out of new stuff to talk about, he is good at making obvious points. I just laugh of the 'capability' BS all us ROCers have to hear. I've owed 3 RLs and 2 RAM 1500s (one being the diesel). I have hauled and towed many of the same items with all 5 trucks.

The RL is plenty capable doing truck stuff. The RTL-E actually has almost 100 lbs more payload that the RAM EcoD I had because of how it was configured and is just as unfazed but a lot of weight in the bed. The towing blah blah blah I just ignore because towing rating are more stats than reality.

If you are going to be towing boats, haulers or campers any distance, the ratings are really irrelevant. The reality with modern trucks IMO is below:

5,000 lbs or under: Midsize or half ton truck
5,000-8,000 lbs: Half ton truck
Over 8,000 lbs: 3/4 ton truck

It's simple physics and doesn't have nearly as much to do with powertrain as people would have you believe. I look at safety and towing without stress. Short jaunts around town are certainly exceptions...and like most people, 90% of the time, it is just the truck and people are the cargo.

I had to explain that to my neighbor who just got a 2020 BE. They are a Honda family but he had no idea the RL is a modified unibody with cross beams welded in and that 50% of the suspension components are different/beefier than a Pilot. Put 1,500 lbs of payload in a Pilot and anyone would see the difference between it and the RL. People don't even realize the large difference in wheelbase (the RL wheelbase is over 14" longer - that is a BIG difference).

I honestly don't think they feel that similar on the road...The RL ride is more controlled than the Pilot by quite a bit.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,725 Posts
The only thing my Ridgeline is really less of a truck at than my previous full size Tundra is the size of the bed ....
Funny, for me the 48"+ clear flat-width in the RL bed, equal to full-size pickups, is a valuable plus for me that no other less-than-full-size pickup offers.

The RL stands alone in the 'class' insofar as ability to haul drywall and nice veneer plywood sheets flat without risking damage / dings.

Guess that "size of the bed" depends on what you measure and what's important to you. ;) :unsure: :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I owned a G1 for several years which now my son owns. I went from that to a Tacoma because I wanted a beefier truck. I am now in a G2 Ridgeline. I don’t know how this one will do but my G1 went great in snow, done all the so called off roading I needed, pulled my 12 foot trailer with my gator, and hauled anything I wanted...sounds like a truck to me. I only hope my G2 does as good, I do know it out rides and drives the Tacoma...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I had to explain that to my neighbor who just got a 2020 BE. They are a Honda family but he had no idea the RL is a modified unibody with cross beams welded in and that 50% of the suspension components are different/beefier than a Pilot. Put 1,500 lbs of payload in a Pilot and anyone would see the difference between it and the RL. People don't even realize the large difference in wheelbase (the RL wheelbase is over 14" longer - that is a BIG difference.
This - this is what the “Pilot with a bed” so-called reviewers almost never point out; that the Ridgeline has much sturdier suspension/steering components and the frame additions, etc.

One reviewer who does touch on the heavier suspension - Savage Geese. Many have seen this, but for those who may not have, here it is. This one provided info/analysis that helped me while working toward a decision:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Funny, for me the 48"+ clear flat-width in the RL bed, equal to full-size pickups, is a valuable plus for me that no other less-than-full-size pickup offers.

The RL stands alone in the 'class' insofar as ability to haul drywall and nice veneer plywood sheets flat without risking damage / dings.

Guess that "size of the bed" depends on what you measure and what's important to you. ;) :unsure: :)
I was somewhat concerned about the shallower G2 bed vs. the deeper G1 bed that I was so used to, but 6 months later I love the ease of reaching items in the G2 bed. No more standing on the tire or climbing in via the tailgate the bumper - don’t miss that at all!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
This - this is what the “Pilot with a bed” so-called reviewers almost never point out; that the Ridgeline has much sturdier suspension/steering components and the frame additions, etc.

One reviewer who does touch on the heavier suspension - Savage Geese. Many have seen this, but for those who may not have, here it is. This one provided info/analysis that helped me while working toward a decision:
When they say it's a minivan with a bed, I simply respond with "it must be pretty embarrassing that this Honda "minivan" has better payload capacity than over 90% of the mid-size trucks available on the market". :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
144 Posts
The same people that can't wrap their heads around the RL probably would have said the minivan couldn't haul as much as a van and didn't have as much horsepower as a station wagon back in the day!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The same people that can't wrap their heads around the RL probably would have said the minivan couldn't haul as much as a van and didn't have as much horsepower as a station wagon back in the day!
Ironically, like many others we hauled a lot of stuff in our Odysseys prior to our Ridgeline days - pretty large quantities of lumber, mowers (on tarps), enough big concrete blocks from HD (X amount at a time) to construct two 20' x 4' retaining walls behind our house, and so on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts