Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hauled a clothes dryer in my Ford Escape...with the back closed. I've had other SUVs that I towed and hauled stuff with. As mentioned above, you have to put down tarps or blankets to keep the carpet form getting wet or dirty, but that's why the seats fold down. The nice thing about a pickup is that I don't have to do that. It's a plastic bed, so I don't care if it gets scratched or dirty. That's what trucks are for! Just hose it out and go on with life. Also no worries about how tall an item is (to a point). Hauling my motorcycle is something I couldn't do with an SUV without a trailer.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ironically, like many others we hauled a lot of stuff in our Odysseys prior to our Ridgeline days - pretty large quantities of lumber, mowers (on tarps), enough big concrete blocks from HD (X amount at a time) to construct two 20' x 4' retaining walls behind our house, and so on.
It is funny you mention the Ody. We had a 2001 (the 2nd Gen aka full size minivan) and towed our 17 ft bow rider all over plus loads of home store crap.

I remember picking up this huge 6 ft high entertainment center in it. The guy at the store was like 'it'll take a couple trips but no issues, we are open until 9' and I said it'll all fit in one trip and we'll still close the hatch. He laughed. He stopped laughing when it slid right in and off we went.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We had two Odysseys 04, 08 and they were great people movers and haulers. I believe in the 04 we could fit 12 foot long lumber in there and close the hatch. They couldn't handle the hills even with snows so it spelled the end and found the CRV to be the all around best vehicle, not may favorite but the best. If I could fit plywood in a crossover that would be my preference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Aside from the silliness about the RL not being a truck, Nathan's assessment is correct. He should probably spare himself some trouble by referring to it as a crossover truck, which Honda will use at times, when it has the RL compete in rallies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So glad I don't care what Nathan or anybody else thinks of our TRUCK.....................................

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's long but sums up the RL in general terms. By the way, it works for tall people too.

According to the scale at the dump, I had over 2,000 lbs in the bed, and I haul 16 foot material without a rack, 12 foot on a regular basis... In fact, if I could remove the passenger side of the rear window, you'd really be amazed at what I could haul... Just like a Real truck because it IS a real truck!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It is funny you mention the Ody. We had a 2001 (the 2nd Gen aka full size minivan) and towed our 17 ft bow rider all over plus loads of home store crap.

I remember picking up this huge 6 ft high entertainment center in it. The guy at the store was like 'it'll take a couple trips but no issues, we are open until 9' and I said it'll all fit in one trip and we'll still close the hatch. He laughed. He stopped laughing when it slid right in and off we went.
Yes - "if it fits it ships", right? That thing was amazing....I called it the Oddity.

We bought the first G2 Odyssey we ever saw....I think it was in 1999. The salesperson (who was the sales manager when I got the 2019 RL) told us people would be staring at it, looking in the windows, quizzing us about it in parking lots and gas stations. I could hear my wife's eyes rolling, and when we got in the van she said "well THAT was some BS about the Odyssey attracting attention", and.....it happened, numerous times. For example, we were traveling in the South, and at a gas pump a lady asked me "is that a Honda?!", I confirmed, and she said "well that's bigger than a Chickadee!".

Two friends of ours couldn't find any to test drive, so we let them try ours, and they both ordered their own from the dealer. If I remember right the saleslady bought us dinner someplace via gift certificate.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts