Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda will release the fall navigation DVD update in about 30 days. The current version is 4.13 and the update will be version 4.31.

My friend "in the business" tells me that V 4.31 will include an updated POI database, new base map, but no new features for the Ridgeline. This is not cast in stone, but I believe it to be accurate.

You can order the updated DVD when released at http://www.hondanavi.com The cost will be $185 plus tax and shipping.

No "free" updates have been authorized by Honda.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
csimo said:
Honda will release the fall navigation DVD update in about 30 days. The current version is 4.13 and the update will be version 4.31.

My friend "in the business" tells me that V 4.31 will include an updated POI database, new base map, but no new features for the Ridgeline. This is not cast in stone, but I believe it to be accurate.

You can order the updated DVD when released at http://www.hondanavi.com The cost will be $185 plus tax and shipping.

No "free" updates have been authorized by Honda.
WE BUY A GREAT TRUCK AND THEY CAN'T UPDATE US FOR FREE? GUESS WE GOT TO BUY IT IF WE WANT IT!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hmmmmm, picking up a new Ridgeline in the next day or two and then the new Accord that is on order coming in around September 28th......

I guess I will see what I can do tomorrow at the dealership. I hate to think that within 45 days I will have to spend $185 x 2 for new DVD's!!!

:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lingered_I said:
After 4.31 is released, what happens if you buy a truck that's been sitting on the lot for a while and has the 4.13 disc. Do you qualify for a free upgrade? Or, will Honda replace the disc at point of sale?
Cavaet emptor... I doubt that any will be replaced in advance. Probably the only way a buyer would get the updated version is to make it part of the deal before purchase.

There have been at least three different versions of 4.13 (a), (b), (c). None of the on-the-ground inventory was replaced before purchase that I know of.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
csimo said:
Cavaet emptor... I doubt that any will be replaced in advance. Probably the only way a buyer would get the updated version is to make it part of the deal before purchase.
You are very wise and probably correct.
I would certainly try to make it part of the deal on a new purcahse.

I dont see how a Dealer would object to that.

Joe. Formerly joedotcom.

·
Registered
198 Posts
After I bought my TSX the software was updated about 4 months later. When I brought my car in for service I asked the Service Manager if I could update the software. He agreed to do so. We took a updated DVD out of a new TSX and put it in mine, started the engine and the DVD uploaded the updated info and GUI. We then put the old DVD back in my car and the updated info and GUI remained. Give it a try. All they can say is no.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
BamaRidge said:
After I bought my TSX the software was updated about 4 months later. When I brought my car in for service I asked the Service Manager if I could update the software. He agreed to do so. We took a updated DVD out of a new TSX and put it in mine, started the engine and the DVD uploaded the updated info and GUI. We then put the old DVD back in my car and the updated info and GUI remained. Give it a try. All they can say is no.
I remember reading this thread from you before but never thought much about it until I found out how old the data are on my 4.13c Disk.

Sounds like a great idea. Could save $185.00 and buy a couple gallons of gas with that money.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think this solution is flawed as the Naqv DVD reader will need to access the DVD for the current information. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

·
Registered
578 Posts
BamaRidge said:
The issue is the new base maps etc, are on the DVD so when you put your old dvd back, you are still reading old street information.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BamaRidge said:
As you mentioned that will update the GUI, or operating program, only. It will not update the base map or POI databases. It will also revert back to the old version if the NAV system ever does a hard boot (like from the diagnostic screen, battery disconnect, or sometimes it just does it for no apparent reason).

In this case there are apparently no operating system updates... only base map and POI databases. Using the above method would do nothing.

To answer another question that was sent to me via PM... I know of no way to successfully burn or copy the NAV DVD that will actually work in the Ridgeline. I have never tried it, but some claim some kind of bit offset might work. I don't know much about burning DVD's.

·
Registered
424 Posts
csimo said:
I know of no way to successfully burn or copy the NAV DVD that will actually work in the Ridgeline. I have never tried it, but some claim some kind of bit offset might work. I don't know much about burning DVD's.
It should be possible to do an exact byte for byte/sector per sector copy. The only issue might be the color of the blank DVD media, and the ability of the laser of the Nav to read it. If the original disc has a bit offset, the offset would also be in the copy as well.

However, now we're talking about copyright infringement, which would make us no better than common music thieves. Besides, I don't have the Nav anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts