Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NAV on my 2017 RTL-E reboots for no reason. It will reboot mostly 5 to 6 times within 10-15 minutes.
Really a pain when you're using bluetooth and your cell.
I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 3 or 4 days. When I picked it up they had done a "hard reset/reboot" and said they need to see it reboot before they can replace it. Impossible I said.
It's been 3 or 4 weeks since I left the dealer and it's rebooting again.

It also drops the blue tooth connection to my cell.

Anyone out there have or had this problem?
I've called American Honda and I'm waiting on a call back.

·
Administrator
24,350 Posts
The NAV on my 2017 RTL-E reboots for no reason. It will reboot mostly 5 to 6 times within 10-15 minutes.
Really a pain when you're using bluetooth and your cell.
I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 3 or 4 days. When I picked it up they had done a "hard reset/reboot" and said they need to see it reboot before they can replace it. Impossible I said.
It's been 3 or 4 weeks since I left the dealer and it's rebooting again.

It also drops the blue tooth connection to my cell.

Anyone out there have or had this problem?
I've called American Honda and I'm waiting on a call back.
If you can safely make a video of it rebooting, do so. If it doesn't happen frequently or predictably enough, you might need to use a suction cup mount on your sunroof to hold a camera that can capture the infotainment system for longer periods. Mine has rebooted 2-3 times over the last 18 months an d 15K miles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 10k I took it in for an oil change. Wow! the price went up from $40 to $60!
I asked they check the 2 front windows as they pop and are starting to be slow. The tech did not hear/notice the pop but replaced the tracks. All is good.

I told them the NAV was still rebooting and that it ticks me off when they say "they must see it". Now, for the rest of the story. They say iPhone has a problem with the blue tooth and it makes the NAV reboot. REALLY!!?? So we un-paired my phone. So far it's been about 2 months and the NAV has not rebooted. Just an fyi. My hearing aids do blue tooth to the iPhone. Each hearing aid at times will drop the connection. So Honda may be on the right track. We'll see.

I told the tech you would think there would be onboard logs that would tell you what's going on. He said - "there are logs. But when you turn the truck off the logs are erased." That's not smart. Why not just overwrite? Any way, the tech suggested if the NAV reboots again and if I have time, call the dealership, explain, and drive over and let them check the logs and DO NOT turn the truck off. Sounds like a plan!

The walk away lock still fails 10% of the time. More of that later.

·
Administrator
24,350 Posts
At 10k I took it in for an oil change. Wow! the price went up from $40 to $60!
I asked they check the 2 front windows as they pop and are starting to be slow. The tech did not hear/notice the pop but replaced the tracks. All is good.

I told them the NAV was still rebooting and that it ticks me off when they say "they must see it". Now, for the rest of the story. They say iPhone has a problem with the blue tooth and it makes the NAV reboot. REALLY!!?? So we un-paired my phone. So far it's been about 2 months and the NAV has not rebooted. Just an fyi. My hearing aids do blue tooth to the iPhone. Each hearing aid at times will drop the connection. So Honda may be on the right track. We'll see.

I told the tech you would think there would be onboard logs that would tell you what's going on. He said - "there are logs. But when you turn the truck off the logs are erased." That's not smart. Why not just overwrite? Any way, the tech suggested if the NAV reboots again and if I have time, call the dealership, explain, and drive over and let them check the logs and DO NOT turn the truck off. Sounds like a plan!

The walk away lock still fails 10% of the time. More of that later.
On Bluetooth dropouts... My iPhone 4S would experience occasional, momentary audio dropouts when playing through Bluetooth. Neither my iPhone 6 Plus or 6S Plus have. None have ever "dropped" a Bluetooth connection.

On logs... My Ridgeline shows ignition cycle logs for the last month and software logs since last year. I don't know whether or not these logs contain data that is useful at the dealership level, though.

On Walk Away Auto Lock... Honda cautions that mobile devices may cause interference. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On Bluetooth dropouts... My iPhone 4S would experience occasional, momentary audio dropouts when playing through Bluetooth. Neither my iPhone 6 Plus or 6S Plus have. None have ever "dropped" a Bluetooth connection.

On logs... My Ridgeline shows ignition cycle logs for the last month and software logs since last year. I don't know whether or not these logs contain data that is useful at the dealership level, though.

On Walk Away Auto Lock... Honda cautions that mobile devices may cause interference. :)
Hey zroger73
Thanks for the tip of the walk away.
The dealer visit above was at 10,000. Other than replacing the window tracks they really did nothing.
EXCEPT to un-pair my iPhone 7. The NAV has NOT rebooted since!!!
The walk away lock has also gotten a LOT better since the un-pairing. In the last 2,500 miles, 2 or 3 months, I think it failed maybe 4 times.

I don't carry a real wallet. Money, cards and such are in my left front pocket. My right front pocket is for my RL key fob which only has 3 keys on it and half the time my knife is also in the same pocket. With or without the knife it still fails. I'm marking this up to some other signal is interfering with it. Blue-tooth between the iPhone 7 and NAV (when paired)... maybe.
I'll inform the dealer at the 15k oil change.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And...
Well no one has replied saying their NAV also reboot. So based on that I assume it's something with my NAV. Plus The NAV in my 07 Camry has never rebooted and I'l using the same iPhone 7 and I think it was a 6 before that.
Georgia passed a hands free law starting 07.01.2018 $50 and 1 point if they catch you and it doubles from there.

The walk away is still a problem. It comes in spells. it really does. It may work every time for a week then fail 2-5 times in one day. And sometimes when it fails you can open and close the door and it will fail again. One time I though it was interference from near by steel (another car, knife in my pocket or even the garage door). It has proved me wrong again and again. The key is in my right front pocket. So when I get out on the drivers side the key is as near to the truck as it can get. And it still fails.

I can't figure it out. Maybe a local radio station? but it fails 100+ miles away also. So that kind of blows that idea.

I've called American Honda and asked the rep to call me back and she will. If the dealer replaces parts in the NAV and Honda fines no problems with the pair, the dealer pays. So in this case the dealer really needs Honda to agree before they do it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
And...
Well no one has replied saying their NAV also reboot. So based on that I assume it's something with my NAV. Plus The NAV in my 07 Camry has never rebooted and I'l using the same iPhone 7 and I think it was a 6 before that.
Georgia passed a hands free law starting 07.01.2018 $50 and 1 point if they catch you and it doubles from there.

The walk away is still a problem. It comes in spells. it really does. It may work every time for a week then fail 2-5 times in one day. And sometimes when it fails you can open and close the door and it will fail again. One time I though it was interference from near by steel (another car, knife in my pocket or even the garage door). It has proved me wrong again and again. The key is in my right front pocket. So when I get out on the drivers side the key is as near to the truck as it can get. And it still fails.

I can't figure it out. Maybe a local radio station? but it fails 100+ miles away also. So that kind of blows that idea.

I've called American Honda and asked the rep to call me back and she will. If the dealer replaces parts in the NAV and Honda fines no problems with the pair, the dealer pays. So in this case the dealer really needs Honda to agree before they do it.
What I have noticed is that if I walk away from the truck too quickly that is usually when he auto lock fails. It appears that it needs a second or two to register so I always wait for the first beep and then I rarely have a problem.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
634 Posts
And...

I have not had any problems with the nav rebooting but occasionally have problems with the auto locking. If the remote is the only thing in my pocket, no problem. But I carry a small metal canister with an aspirin and heart pills. If they are in the same pocket, it occasionally fails. Also, if my wife leaves her purse in the truck, it won’t work but I can lock it with the button on the handle or the key fob. If she leaves her door not closed fully, it will not lock at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having to unpair your phone to stop the headunit from rebooting is completely unacceptable. It doesn't matter even if the iPhone _is_ doing something that the headunit doesn't like, it still shouldn't reboot as a result. That's a bug/issue on the headunit and should be fixed by Honda, in my opinion. I have an iPhone8 running 11.4.1 on a 2018 RTL-E and haven't had any reboot issues. I would recommend you take it back and politely request they actually fix the problem rather than blame it on something else.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I have noticed is that if I walk away from the truck too quickly that is usually when he auto lock fails. It appears that it needs a second or two to register so I always wait for the first beep and then I rarely have a problem.
Thanks TinMan for the idea. My hearing is so bad I can't walk away quickly. If I do I'll not hear it lock. I just remembered, if it fails, it fails quickly, like I only have time for 1 step, 2 if I'm quick. It's the same if you leave the truck running and you get out and close the door.
I hate to say it but I think Honda America may have to just replace the unit and eat the cost.

I repaired my iPhone 7 this week. The NAV started the constant reboot thing twice and one time the NAV screen was solid black. Radio and such worked. Just NAV screen was all black. Turn the truck off and then on and it worked fine as usual.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Walk Away again. Yesterday my sister and I were out and about. She's a little slow at 74 so she's the last one out of the truck and the last one to close the door. 3 or 4 times beep beep beep beep! After the second time I got out and closed my door and while standing at the driver door with the pocket holding the key almost touching the door, I wait for sis. Yep, beep beep beep beep. Took her home and another repeat. An hour later I pulled into the garage got out, closed the door and beep beep beep beep.
I'm been trying to figure this out since I bought the truck May 2017. I'm writing all this up, giving it to the service writer and service manager and asking to see a Honda rep.

Oh, it's still the best truck on the road!

·
Registered
1 Posts
to make a long story shorter...
my 2018 RTL E did the same thing. After much frustration it was linked to my iPhone and an app from State Farm, Drive Safe and Save.
Removed the app from phone, re-paired the bluetooth hands free and not a single problem since (about 4 months now).
The long story included replacing the infotainment head, leaving with the tech overnight (he drove it home no problems), unpairing my iPhone from hands free, my wife's phone creating the same problem when she was in the car, removing her SF app, re-pairing...NO PROBLEMS NOW!

·
Administrator
24,350 Posts
to make a long story shorter...
my 2018 RTL E did the same thing. After much frustration it was linked to my iPhone and an app from State Farm, Drive Safe and Save.
Removed the app from phone, re-paired the bluetooth hands free and not a single problem since (about 4 months now).
The long story included replacing the infotainment head, leaving with the tech overnight (he drove it home no problems), unpairing my iPhone from hands free, my wife's phone creating the same problem when she was in the car, removing her SF app, re-pairing...NO PROBLEMS NOW!
Interesting. Before State Farm switched to an app-based utility, they used an OBD II dongle that was known to cause problems. I find it strange when insurance companies provide devices that plug in to a connector that manufacturers state is for diagnostic use only and is not to be used for other purposes. Doing so increases their exposure to liability which is the primary thing that insurance companies work to avoid!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well no one has replied saying their NAV also reboot.
Well, it does for me now. In my case, NAV screen reboots constantly. Does not even make to app screen. Starts with "Honda Link" logo for few seconds then reboots. The problem began just few weeks back and my guess it is caused by summer heat. Could be some hardware malfunctioned due to the hot weather. My car is still under warranty (15K 2.5 yrs). I am taking it to the service and will post an update.

I have noticed same issue with mine 2018 RTL-E. Feels like computer program that controls this door lock function needs fix / better software testing at Honda.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it does for me now. In my case, NAV screen reboots constantly. Does not even make to app screen. Starts with "Honda Link" logo for few seconds then reboots. The problem began just few weeks back and my guess it is caused by summer heat. Could be some hardware malfunctioned due to the hot weather. My car is still under warranty (15K 2.5 yrs). I am taking it to the service and will post an update

Take a video and show it to the dealer if you want it replaced. Mine totally locked up so I drove to the dealer. They took photos and videos and ordered a replacement.

BUT.... and 3 years of ownership (I love my truck) I can almost make it reboot anytime. How?! I wear bluetooth hearing aids from Costco. Really cool. The iPhone XR sends the sound to my hearing aids just like it would to the RidgeLine. Here's the reboot.... I take/make a call, sound is going to my hearing aids, I get in the truck, start her up and drive. Radio playing and then it's not. Yep reboot. over and over. I think the NAV system gets ticked off trying to take over blue tooth and starts rebooting. I wonder if my phone and the wife's phone were both paired would it reboot if both phones were in use???? something to think about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take a video and show it to the dealer if you want it replaced. Mine totally locked up so I drove to the dealer. They took photos and videos and ordered a replacement.
Mine NAV screen does rebooting non stop. It actually never finishes booting up. Aafter "Honda link logo" goes to black screen. Than reboot. No need to take video. I draw to the dealer today. They told me Honda is aware of the issue and working on software update, expected in August. In mean time it is my problem I have to wait and hope for the best ...
Asked if they can turn NAV off. Got NO as an answer. Too many things are linked to NAV. So no GPS, no phone connection, no backup camera for more than a month.

I am surprised I am alone with this type of error at the forum given Honda is "working" on the fix. May be no one actually tested my case (looked at error code). Just dumped me on wait queue for NAV fix hopping it is going to fix. A month here, an another there - out of warranty dear customer... Not happy with Honda. :( What worries me most, there is some relay clicking tick each time NAV does reboot. Give it a few months of non stop rebooting it may just trash that relay and that would be only my problem.

Such a shame on software quality. If for some reason NAV computer is not happy with whatever, just show error code and ask to turn-off. Rebooting non stop - means no one expected / tested that NAV may malfunction. A default error handler as reboot is like sweeping error under the rag :( Too many things in the car now depend on the computer. And Honda sweeps errors under the rag, what could go wrong?!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.